Oil Pulling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else doing this? I started yesterday with Coconut oil, also going in my hair soon replacing gel.

I may be more beneficial than ear candling
smile.gif

But, I don't think this "invasion" of Indian culture provides much benefit beyond yoga pants
smile.gif

I often cook with coconut oil. However, the entire "oil pulling" fad is nothing more than Internet nonsense. The only thing it "may" do (and I use that term liberally) is reduce the amount of oral inflammation present. And quite frankly, if your oral health is so poor that you have oral inflammation/infection issues then you'd be better off to see a dentist and get it fixed right.

I tried it. Felt like quackery. But hey... I wonder if the oil softens tartar and calculus for more effective brushing. that would be awesome. I power brush, floss, double water-pik and I still have some tartar.... I suppose it just happens.

If you wanna do it, great. Don't be swayed by people here. I've read about it but haven't tried it.

Coconut oil is amazing for skin/hair, I reckon less is more in application. I say buy/demand organic.

the mouth wash that it is compared to 'chlorhexidine' has harsh side effects and only available with prescription and must be discontinued after just 2 weeks.

If the business of modern healthcare can't make a lot of money from such oral care then you can be sure that it's labeled as nonsense and there will be proof supplied by one or more of their studies. If there's money there especially if there's the protection of a patient then it's effective and recommended. There will be studies and testimonials to assure you that you're being well cared for. Old fashioned remedies that cost little or nothing must never be considered when there is a drug, a does of radiation or an injection that must be administered by a member of a trade union like the AMA or similar organization to do the job. Not only do you have the promise of modern healthcare but now the government has stepped in and is taking over to assure you that everything is under control just like every other government program. Just be a good patient and take your medicine but only the medicine prescribed by a government approved professional.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If the business of modern healthcare can't make a lot of money from such oral care then you can be sure that it's labeled as nonsense and there will be proof supplied by one or more of their studies. If there's money there especially if there's the protection of a patient then it's effective and recommended. There will be studies and testimonials to assure you that you're being well cared for. Old fashioned remedies that cost little or nothing must never be considered when there is a drug, a does of radiation or an injection that must be administered by a member of a trade union like the AMA or similar organization to do the job. Not only do you have the promise of modern healthcare but now the government has stepped in and is taking over to assure you that everything is under control just like every other government program. Just be a good patient and take your medicine but only the medicine prescribed by a government approved professional.

It's not that I totally disagree with you, but this particular situation involves quackery compared with something like Hydrogen Peroxide which is cheaper and actually does something.

If you feel how you do get a better doctor. Seriously.

You can't ask people to be honest and not negative, right?

For the hair if it works go for it. For your mouth maybe ask your dentist, he/she can probably recommend something cheaper and more effective. Of course, why ask a professional when the internet has experts everywhere.

I just been through the health care system the last month and I can surely tell you - It's a shambles and highly dysfunctional.

"Professional" doesn't + good at what they do - bahhh!

Current BP of mine 176/114

Originally Posted By: dblshock
the mouth wash that it is compared to 'chlorhexidine' has harsh side effects and only available with prescription and must be discontinued after just 2 weeks.

If you're looking for something antiseptic, hydrogen peroxide or alcohol have that property.

Oil pulling is something from the Mercola quackery camp. Use it if you think it makes you feel good and you're comfortable with the placebo effect.

Anyone else doing this? I started yesterday with Coconut oil, also going in my hair soon replacing gel.

Coconut oil has very powerful anti-bacterial properties. It also is anti-fungal. It has a virtually unlimited shelf life.Add to that the anti viral factors present in the oil due to its lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acids.

Ignore the doom sayers, the stuff is fantastic. I can't imagine anything it could hurt, and if you eat some the list of benefits is immense...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Coconut oil has very powerful anti-bacterial properties. It also is anti-fungal. It has a virtually unlimited shelf life.Add to that the anti viral factors present in the oil due to its lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acids.

Ignore the doom sayers, the stuff is fantastic. I can't imagine anything it could hurt, and if you eat some the list of benefits is immense...

Are you getting this info from the Mercola/Oz/Food Babe camp? I'm unable to locate any published and peer-reviewed research to show oil pulling is anything other than quackery.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/coconut-oil/

We all demand data when looking for oil to put in our vehicles. We should be making science-based decisions for our bodies too.

Actually it's an unfounded myth just like eating 4-5-6-7 small meals a day and all you have to do is count calories to lose weight or salt is bad and fat is bad.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Are you getting this info from the Mercola/Oz/Food Babe camp? I'm unable to locate any published and peer-reviewed research to show oil pulling is anything other than quackery.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/coconut-oil/

We all demand data when looking for oil to put in our vehicles. We should be making science-based decisions for our bodies too.

[off-topic]RE:SteveSRT8
i think he is not referring to oil pulling.
but other benefits, especially being used by older patients. i thought his wife is in medical/elderly care field
[/off-topic]

WebMD actually lists some benefits, mainly for gum health and fighting bad breath.

I just don't like the idea of it - I'm not keeping anything in my mouth for 20 minutes, much less swishing it, lol. Oh hells no.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/302809.php

https://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

There are many more. I am not speaking specifically to the idea of "pulling" but I believe it could be of benefit to those with gingivitis since bacteria are involved.

Please note that my wife has actually witnessed its effects on an Alzheimers patient she treated. The man's wife published a book (she is a doctor). It was an amazing help and has many more properties that are not yet understood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back