A/C leak sealer - how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
I know it's not right but I've fixed leaks and filled systems without putting a vacuum on it. I know it causes issues with the equipment but it only had to last through the summer and the vehicle was going down the road. Worked great, several others that we've worked on are also still working years later without having any other work done.

I would be using the Harbor Freight tool that uses your air compressor to create a vacuum or an auto parts store loaner tool.

Originally Posted By: BrianL
FYI, I don't care to get in a debate, and I'm not putting money in this truck regardless of what's said here, but all I'll say (and I'm done) is in researching about using sealers, I've read many reports of people, even those that do it for a living, in shops, that use sealer and have never had problems. And many people have said, including one person that worked at IDQ, that all it does is expand the seals. This isn't radiator stop leak or fix-a-flat.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
I know it's not right but I've fixed leaks and filled systems without putting a vacuum on it. I know it causes issues with the equipment but it only had to last through the summer and the vehicle was going down the road. Worked great, several others that we've worked on are also still working years later without having any other work done.

How many cans of leak sealer should I use?

Zero or one. Once you have the seals coated, there is no additional effect of using more.

How many cans of leak sealer should I use?

If it doesn't get sealed up off two small cans, not sure it is able to be sealed that method. Leak may be too big.. Un-sealable.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Avoid, avoid, avoid, unless the next stop for the car is the junkyard.

Best case it works for a bit until it clogs your system by curing inside in place.

Worst case you ruin some shop's recovery system and have a further unrepairable system.

Did you even read the post?

Absolutely. It nowhere states if the next stop for the car is the junkyard. It merely states that you will get rid of it. Those two are different as anyone with reasonable comprehension skills can attest.

I'd use the ACPro AIO or ArcticChill one and put a label somewhere warning that the system contains sealers.

IDQ is using methylene chloride as the seal swell agent along with a polymeric sealing agent - and chlorinated solvents can do a number to metals, caveat emptor.

Originally Posted By: mk378

Zero or one. Once you have the seals coated, there is no additional effect of using more.

Originally Posted By: HazardousGorilla

If it doesn't get sealed up off two small cans, not sure it is able to be sealed that method. Leak may be too big.. Un-sealable.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

One. If it doesn't work then you have to actually find the leak and fix it.

Two votes for one, one vote for two.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: nthach
I'd use the ACPro AIO or ArcticChill one and put a label somewhere warning that the system contains sealers.

IDQ is using methylene chloride as the seal swell agent along with a polymeric sealing agent - and chlorinated solvents can do a number to metals, caveat emptor.

If most of the IDQ products didn't contain sealer, I might do that, but I would guess most DIY rechargers are using sealer now, whether they mean to or not.

I don't recommend what you're doing but I understand your situation. If you're going to put anything there without a proper manifold gauge set and the knowing how much refrigerant and oil is already in there, then I'd advise to add a refrigerant that has oil in it already. Oil is essenti in an AC system. But the exact amount is needed. Still it's better to have more oil in it than none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back