Lubricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some time in the past I noticed the syn blend I was handling was much slicker than the conventional was. Added lubricity seems like a good thing.

What in the motor oil contributes to this? Base oil type, FMs, overall formulation?

thanks a lot

there are new material on the verge of making it into the oil .that will permit tighter tolerance and better oil.if i recall graphene is one such material

joseph,
what you are describing is what "back in the day"...like 1920s (reference Harry Ricardo High Speed Internal Combustion Engine) as "oiliness".

Back in the days before FMs were recognised, they knew that these types of oils were desirable, and were usually obtained from animal fats and castor oil type bases.

Steam train oils for bearings and link pins still have animal fats (tallowates) in them.

Now I'm guessing that it's either esters or alkaline additives that you feel in modern oils.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Seriously? You're "handling" oil and making a determination about how "slick" the oil is based on that?

Don't you feel the stickiness of the harpsichord strings to see if the right amount of rosin is applied ?

Lubricity. That has to be one of the most over used and mis used words in the world of motor oil.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Seriously? You're "handling" oil and making a determination about how "slick" the oil is based on that?

Don't you feel the stickiness of the harpsichord strings to see if the right amount of rosin is applied ?

Works for judging if hay is dry enough to bale too.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
At some time in the past I noticed the syn blend I was handling was much slicker than the conventional was. Added lubricity seems like a good thing.
What in the motor oil contributes to this? Base oil type, FMs, overall formulation?
thanks a lot

It might just be a different batch of rubber gloves or the difference in drum temperature!

Come on guys, Petroleum oil is well know to have very poor EP and slickery-ness compared to previous animal esters.

"Oil is oil" is a garbage statement. Idiocy.

Yes we are in dark ages 2.0; The end of the romance man. Frightening.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Prove there is a discernable difference between the properly rated oils at their price pointsfrom the quality blenders.

Works for bringing washing in off the line, works for tightening fasteners, works for checking if your cake is sufficiently baked, once you have a field of reference and some experience then you can use touch for just about everything.

If wearing a blindfold, could you tell the difference between honey and SAE 70?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Prove there is a discernable difference between the properly rated oils at their price pointsfrom the quality blenders.
I aint goona prove you nuthin there cowpoke.

Don't care for your type.

Last edited:
hmmmm...another mjoeking post where he throws out a question, then doesn't bother to return to comment...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Works for judging if hay is dry enough to bale too.
Only is you know what you are doing. Moldy bales suck.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
there are new material on the verge of making it into the oil .that will permit tighter tolerance and better oil.if i recall graphene is one such material
Tolerance is the allowed deviation from the manufactures specifications. Can oil do that?

Originally Posted By: CT8
I aint goona prove you nuthin there cowpoke.

Don't care for your type.
That is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back