how are napa mufflers compared too walker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again all:) Im planning on doing my exhaust system, for a 1998 toyota corolLa soon. Already installed a new exhaust pipe, new springs and bolts. its 18 years old, the exhaust system. seen better days.
I like the look of walkers products. Im looking at the quit flo.Get new resnaotr with pipe, new cat. I am wondering, how are napa's mufflers, compared too walkers? Ive seen a few youtube vids, on napa mufflers, one with a description too not buy napas [censored] mufflers.
So! kinda lost. Are napa's mufflers that bad? Seems too me, a muffler,is amuffler, outside of OEM of course. Think oem for the corolla is or was, bosal.

Seriously, why not bypass the muffler and just run a straight pipe from the cat back? I doubt it would be much louder and might give a little more performance.

They are the same. Just like the Napa Gold filters are the same as Wix.

Napa Soundmaster is the Walker SoundFX

Napa Exhaust is the Walker Quiet Flow

The Quiet Flow is stainless steel; the SoundFX/Soundmaster is aluminized steel.

I see! rockauto has the quitflo for $70 somethinh dollars i think. think npa would be similar priced?
how does, or would, walker, aka napa, compare too bosal?

My coworker bought the diesel, it has been in and out of the dealer since he bought it. Non stop issues with the emissions controls. If it wasn't for being in California he could just remove it all. Anyways he is looking into filing a lemon law claim at this point, it has been at the dealer for over a month this latest time.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
I see! rockauto has the quitflo for $70 somethinh dollars i think. think npa would be similar priced?
how does, or would, walker, aka napa, compare too bosal?

Walker has a $30 (40?) rebate on some of their branded stuff now.

A Napa muffler will do you just fine. Install it and be happy.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Seriously, why not bypass the muffler and just run a straight pipe from the cat back? I doubt it would be much louder and might give a little more performance.

Not everyone wants a vehicle that sounds like flatulence.

As said they are the same.

1 thing I like to do is get some engine paint and paint the muffler before installing. I usually use black or aluminum/silver. Make sure to hit the seams/weld spots as that is usually where many rust out from. This will buy several more years of rust protection esp if you live where sale is used on the roads.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They are the same. Just like the Napa Gold filters are the same as Wix.

Napa Soundmaster is the Walker SoundFX

Napa Exhaust is the Walker Quiet Flow

The Quiet Flow is stainless steel; the SoundFX/Soundmaster is aluminized steel.

+1 for the above comment.

I got a napa soundmaster for my Neon. Sounded pretty good but the hangers were tack welded on, only on one side... So one broke off. I just got my neighbor to weld it, but it was annoying, so have a close look at the hangers and give them a good yank if it doubt.

Think oem for the corolla is or was, bosal.

Bosal may make the OEM exhaust but it will be completely different than what the aftermarket one is like. Everyone on the interwebs stated that Bosal made the exhaust for my Accord and on that bit of information I bought a Bosal replacement exhaust when my daughter ran the car up onto a roundabout. What I got was nothing like the OEM. The worst part was that it was about an inch too short and I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get it aligned and installed. Then it lasted about a year and a half before rusting out.

I ended up biting the price bullet and buying the OEM pipes and exhaust for about $600. What a difference! It fit perfectly and now four years later is still solid.

Bosal is NOT an Toyota OEM - their supplier is Walker or Futaba, but the aftermarket Walker is nowhere close to the OEM one. Get the SS muffler and don't touch the cat unless you failed smog and you ruled out a dead one.

I will lookat the SSS mufflers!
I called my local NAPA today, to get a price on a cat. $327!!! i know thats way cheaper, than OEM, at $975. im on a budget. Rockauto, i can get a walker for $178! half the price basically! Napa wanted $135 for the muffler...rockauto $85. autozone has the walker cat, for $211, something like that.
I am keeping this vehicle for many many years. but n a budget. I didnt know until today, napa wanted so much for the CAT let alone the muffler! Think im prob def gunna use rockauto, autozone as last resort.

Walker made the last NAPA muffler i bought. If you live in a salt city, expect to replace every 2-3 years no matter the brand unless you go stainless.I never got better than that.

Last edited:

I am keeping this vehicle for many many years. but n a budget. I didnt know until today, napa wanted so much for the CAT let alone the muffler! Think im prob def gunna use rockauto, autozone as last resort.

How do you know if you need a new cat? Cats only fail if there is something wrong with your fuel/ignition system causing raw gas to enter it or if you're burning oil and it's contaminated by ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back