Ecoboost catch can - paging bcardinal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I have a JLT on my 14. They make bolt in ones for most EcoBoost engines. I actually might get the Focus ST one to put on my mom's EcoBoost Fusion.

Would that same one work for my son's new, '16 EcoBoost 4 pot 'Stang??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I have a JLT on my 14. They make bolt in ones for most EcoBoost engines. I actually might get the Focus ST one to put on my mom's EcoBoost Fusion.

Check out their page, they probably have one for that application. Ford Racing recently came out with one for the Coyote.

The only reason I would have to get the Focus ST one is them not having a direct fit one for the Fusion. I checked and the hose part number that the separator replaces is the same for the Focus ST and the Fusion. The only difference is the little mounting bracket the Focus uses.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
what grade of gas are you guys using in your ecoboosts?

When prices were 3.50/gal, I was using 91E0/91E10 depending where I was at since the cost/mi was better. Now with prices at 1.99 for 87E10 and 91 is minimum .40-.60 more, the cost return is not there.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: badtlc
what grade of gas are you guys using in your ecoboosts?

When prices were 3.50/gal, I was using 91E0/91E10 depending where I was at since the cost/mi was better. Now with prices at 1.99 for 87E10 and 91 is minimum .40-.60 more, the cost return is not there.

I know where that gas smell in the PCV is coming from, then.

Check out their page, they probably have one for that application. Ford Racing recently came out with one for the Coyote.

The only reason I would have to get the Focus ST one is them not having a direct fit one for the Fusion. I checked and the hose part number that the separator replaces is the same for the Focus ST and the Fusion. The only difference is the little mounting bracket the Focus uses.

Thanks.
thumbsup2.gif

I will also look for one for a Fiesta ST, since I'm more than likely getting one of those next (I'm guessing it is the same one as the Focus ST?).

I am of the opinion that high end synthetic oils will help prevent the growth of significant intake valve deposits. As the synthetic oil is not subject to coking like conventional oils. A catch can will reduce the oil vapor on the intake valves and may not be the solution people are looking for.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I've got 46k on my 2011 ecoboost and am planning on keeping it for a very long time. It seems the pcv system on these is a poor design and have been thinking of getting the upr dual valve catch can system since its plug n play. I checked the pcv lines tonight and they're completely coated with yellow slimy oil and smell of gas. I'm going to drop my CAC tomorrow and clean it out. Does anyone have a catch can system on theirs? The RX system looks great but don't like the drilling and that's why I like the plug and play.

Bcardinal - what have you seen and your thoughts on the pcv and adding a catch can system?

Thanks all.

def add the catch can,all fords need one ~!
I have one on my 5.0 F150,it keeps oil out of the rear pistons
and out of the TB

Originally Posted By: Excel
def add the catch can,all fords need one ~!
I have one on my 5.0 F150,it keeps oil out of the rear pistons
and out of the TB

The big weakness on the Coyote and the 4.6/5.4 4V modulars is the lack of coolant flow at the rear of the driver's side head. There is a kit to knock out the rear core plug, add a fitting and hose, and connect it to the heater hose lines.

I'm currently running the new Ford Racing oil separator on my 2014 Mustang GT and have used other brands in the past.

What people need to realize is that some oil separators work much better than others. I have tried many different brands and some different versions of the same brand and had varied results in what I find at the intake port.

With some cans, I found just as much liquid oil at the intake port as I had when I ran the factory PCV valve line with no can which told me that those cans were doing next to nothing.

Some of the other cans just had a slight oil film to almost no oil film at the intake port which told me they were doing something better than the factory setup was doing.

Since there are no long term tests that I'm aware of comparing like vehicles with one using a separator and one not, I think running an oil separator for most people is a feel good measure.

For me personally, I run one because I like to feel that it's doing some good even if I have no proof for the long term if it is.

Wayne

How is the FRPP unit? I saw it advertised and then it went on intergalactic back-order along with the airbag for our cars.

I like it because it looks factory and it seems like it works pretty good. I've driven my car almost 1,000 miles since I initially checked the separator and plan on checking it again soon.

Here is a link to a post I started on one of the Mustang forums about this separator. In my initial post, I gave a link to another Mustang forum that I posted pictures of the inside and outside of the separator. My pictures start on page 6 of that thread.

I also recently installed the driver's side Ford Racing separator because I found slight signs of oil in both ends of the line that goes from the valve cover to the air inlet tube.

I also have pictures of this one installed even though it was only designed for the new Ford GT350.

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/new-ford-performance-oil-separator-540283/

Wayne

That DOES look like it was installed on the assembly line, but is that enough actual volume/capacity (even with one on each side)??

It looks MUCH smaller than ANY of the other aftermarket air/oil separators.
21.gif

That DOES look like it was installed on the assembly line, but is that enough actual volume/capacity (even with one on each side)??

It looks MUCH smaller than ANY of the other aftermarket air/oil separators.
21.gif

They both hold a little less than 7 ounces which is quite a lot and is on par with some of the other separators I've used. Some even hold less than that. If I remember correctly, I get about 3/4 of an ounce for about every 1,200 miles of driving on some of the other separators I've used. I have not measured the amount in this one yet.

These separators are bigger than what they appear in the pictures.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back