will low mile oil need changed when it still looks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2013 e450 v10 ford class c motor home. the oil looks good it is over one year old. when we drive we go on longer trips just do not get out as much as we like. The oil has about 2000 miles and the camper has 9000 miles on it.I start it about one time a month. what do you think. we will be driving on a trip next month.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Change it because of moisture if nothing else. It's cheap also.

It's fine you're wasting your time.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

OP, if you were in Texas where temps are stable and dry (well, certainly not recently) then it could sit in it forever. But up in Iowa, it is humid continental climate and nasty stuff can condensate.

how far of a trip will you be taking? do you drive the vehicle when you start it often, or just let it idle? If it were me, I'd change it. just starting the engine and not running could still build up moisture.

Also, if this is the 6.8 its only 6 quarts of oil, not a whole lot of time or money considering the cost of the vehicle.

Why change an oil that looks good, is only one year old and has only done 2000 miles, unless the HG leaks or the injector tips are blown.

The Germans think a major brand full synthetic is good for 2 years in the car and I would say the newish common OCI in the US of 5000 miles might be good, unless you are a thin oil fan and want to use 3000 miles.

Take a good look at the owners handbook or a major engine oil company web site for more info on OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Change it, never a waste of time
cheers3.gif

I would change it yearly irregardless of miles.

Opinions vary either way. Oil and filters are cheap compared to repair costs. Why bother worrying about it? Just change it out.

A good number run an OCI every 2 years. If when you say you start it one time each month you mean you get it up to temperature, I would say do a change every 2 years. If you just idle it.. you likely caused more condensation in the oil by not getting it up to temp...in that case you could just change it out once a year. Or just dont start it once a month unless you actually drive it for a good while and get oil hot. Better to not be started, than be started and idled for a few mins...

I never worry about the oil sitting over time. Any condensation will boil out during highway driving. What I do worry about is the paper filter element deteriorating over time.

If the cost of the oil change is an issue maybe you should not own the vehicle. An oil change is an excellent time to do an inspection of the engine drive belt, hoses, trans, drive line etc.

An RV like a boat needs over maintenance as time away with it is too valuable!

Some fairly strange ideas from some folks posting in this thread!

If you want to wear out a block and turbo in particular, change the oil far too often. A study of UOA results will show that most of the wear occurs during the first 1000 miles of a 3000 mile OCI. There are several reasons for that, firstly modern oils contain a lot of good detergent additives and the new oil tends to attack the layer of anti wear additives deposited by the old oil faster than it can bake on a new layer. Secondly cheap standard oil and air filters are more efficient when dirty, although in the case of the OP, if he wants to do an annual service it would make sense to change the oil filter every second year.

I do 2 for 1 oil changes and the results from the second interval are slightly better than the first. Never try and drain a spin on filter if you do want to be a 2 for 1 person, as you might start an oil leak from the seal.

Oil and filters cost money and use up natural resources, so wasting them does not make much sense.

Condensation is not a factor in terms of oil life in an engine, it is minimal even in a tropical rain forrest country like the Congo and evapourates off very easily. Anti freeze contamination from a bad HG is far worse as it reacts with the detergents in the oil and stops them working (That causes sludge).
The old one year OCI was based more over concerns for the oil filter oil seal and potential Silicon (Ultra fine sand) contamination in dry desert areas. If you use a certified OEM standard oil filter, the seal will be good for a lot longer than 2 years. So I would recommend using a real good oil filter (Main dealer, Bosch or Mann). In fact it's worth using a long life one if available from Mobil or Amsoil.

One poster mentioned using a major brand 0w30 and I also agree with that idea, as it does get a tad cold up North.

Last edited:
What does the manual recommend? 23 years as a service tech doing fleet work is that the engines that lasted the longest were those serviced at the mfgs recommended intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back