My son's history assignment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
not many places would let this be a primary school history assignment, but this town is this town, and history is history...and the schools embrace it.
IMG_20160416_114801.jpg

ANZAC day next weekend, and the posters from the kids describing the names of the streets and their history are, and have been for a couple weeks on public display.

People (well, at least people BEHIND it) seem to be quite sentimental about the Bren, which is a bit strange, given what it is.

Legendary UK alternative DJ John Peel, of all unlikely people, got quite lyrical about it.

I'd guess one of the reasons was its impressive accuracy. It was probably much more accurate than it needed to be, and so-so shots like me could usually place rounds exactly where we wanted them.

I did tend to cut myself on it a lot though, and it was fairly difficult to clean the blood off.

Ours (T.A.) were re-chambered for 7.62 and had 1944 stamped on the breach, but scored out (?).

Never really understood that. Were they trying to kid us they were new?

IMO it's essential to report history as it happened, and there's no harm in it.

Some might say "it's a gun, I don't like guns children shouldn't be allowed to do that". Nonsense.

Nice report, I'd previously heard of the Bren Gun from WWII.

When I was at Dachau, there was a visitor book. Above it in German was this admonition:
THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT. Teach your children well that "freedom" isn't "free" at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
IMO it's essential to report history as it happened, and there's no harm in it.

Some might say "it's a gun, I don't like guns children shouldn't be allowed to do that". Nonsense.

Nice report, I'd previously heard of the Bren Gun from WWII.

Some of the other posters have the kids handling the guns at the museum.

Got to give the heads of the local Primary School some kudos, as it IS history, it's the histroy of the district (we had the small arms factory that armed the Oz defence forces, and now they can understand some of the strange street names around town.

When they train you in grad school as a historian, they spend many many hours drilling objectivity into your heads. Some seem to forget that after they graduate, but it is really the only way to properly tell history. Let the past speak for itself and do not color it with your present day perspective.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Nothing wrong with that, with proper supervision.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Nothing wrong with that, with proper supervision.

And a first-aid kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back