Steering wheel shake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello-

I recently purchased a 99 Subaru Outback (30th anniversary limited, 123K miles, 5 speed) as a winter project and commuter car.It had a torn inner CV boot on the passenger front axle. The joint was full of grit so I decided to replace it. First I replaced it with a Advance Auto axle, got a huge vibration/shake at any speed. I read up online on all the issues caused by aftermarket axles on Subaru's and got a used OEM axle from a junk yard, cleaned it off/out, re-greased a put new boots on it. The bearings etc looked great, went in without any issues.

Now doing speeds over 60 or so the steering wheel shakes from what feels like the passenger front. I don't feel any shaking below that, braking I do sometimes feel a slight vibration from that side but the brakes were done right before I got it.

I should mention that during the swap I had a heck of a time getting the old outer axle spline out of the hub and had to use a 10 LB sledge to "lightly" tap it out. It was late, I was frustrated and accidentally grazed the side of one wheel stud in the process. It didn't look bent or anything so I got a die and redid the threads for that stud, seems fine.

So far I have tried the OEM rebooted axle and swapped the front/back tires on that side thinking it was a balance issue, no change. With the car jacked up I don't feel any play yanking the tire around etc. The tie rods and ball joint are original but it rides really nice below 60, no clunks etc.

What else do I check? Is there a chance I messed up the bearing or hub assembly hitting the old axle out? replace axle again? I'm new to drive line issues so any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back