Purolater PureONE , 9,300 miles. PL10111

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran this on a 98 Cavalier from 269,500 to 278,800, November to April. I changed the oil between that interval and left the filter on just to get additional miles to see how it held up. This car has a 3 speed transmission, no overdrive. I'm sure the filter saw plenty of flow.

No tears but the media would tear when I tried to look inbetween the pleats. Also, there is a metal crimp that looks like it was not done correctly. See pics. The ADBV was soft and working very well. I replaced it with a longer PF52E that was laying around from a prior vehicle.

Pic 3 has some marks on the media, I cut it open with a Dremel and made a little contact.

25891282164_7803ee8aa1_h.jpg

25891275054_b026494f67_h.jpg

26430051921_26362c3b9f_h.jpg

25893334193_7eb77c690b_h.jpg

F03G02B1
March 2, 2015

Purolator redesigned the filters in the summer of 2015.

Too bad you replaced it with an ecore
lol.gif

You should consider the CQ Red. A very good cheap filter! The M1 oil deals at the parts stores usually include a top-tier filter like the excellent M1 filter
smile.gif

Did you use M1 AFE again? (looked at your sig) Does your car have the OLM?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
F03G02B1
March 2, 2015

Too bad you replaced it with an ecore
lol.gif

You should consider the CQ Red. A very good cheap filter! The M1 oil deals at the parts stores usually include a top-tier filter like the excellent M1 filter
smile.gif

Did you use M1 AFE again? (looked at your sig) Does your car have the OLM?

No OLM. I have AFE in for the first time now, beginning of the AZ clearance oil usage. The Ecore was free, are they that bad?

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Also, there is a metal crimp that looks like it was not done correctly. See pics.

I don't see any metal crimp ... looks like a glued seam.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Also, there is a metal crimp that looks like it was not done correctly. See pics.

First pic, top black rim is adhesive?

So you mean the metal end cap popped off? Common thing with Purolators.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these so called tears are not from the media being pulled apart for inspection. I have done that myself. Over the many years that I have been changing oil I never saw a filter with torn media until it was separated.

Last edited:
Looks fine to me, I don't like popping endcaps but they are likely not much of an issue when the filter is still together.

I do not consider media that tears with your fingers much of an issue either, as oil does not typically apply those kinds of forces when the filter is in use. But I sure don't want media that tears under actual use!

You CAN get a feel for media strength with thumb pressure though, despite the heat the orange can gets here it has been my observation the media used is stronger than most for example.

Thanks for the cut and post!

slacktide_bitog said:
F03G02B1
March 2, 2015

I boughtt several white ones with the new guts when they clearanced them at walmart for $1.50. They should be equal to the new red ones i suppose.
That brings up a thought, if the later 2015 filters were the new guts in the old white cans and they advertised the same efficiencey as always then on the box, shouldnt the new ones in their new cans still be the same effiencey?. Just a thought.

Cutting open a Fram and Toyota filter with 14 psi spring bypass, and using finger pressure to open the valves, it actually is quite a lot of pressure that can be applied to media before a bypass event. The media has to be pretty darn strong.

So you mean the metal end cap popped off? Common thing with Purolators.
Won't happen with an OCOD, those caps are cardboard.

I just cut a 2014 pureone that had been on my Cadillac for 1yr/7500 miles. It looked great no tears and fairly straight pleats.. Was just to messy to take pics. Replaced it with an a Classic AcDelco PF61.

Originally Posted By: tig1
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these so called tears are not from the media being pulled apart for inspection. I have done that myself. Over the many years that I have been changing oil I never saw a filter with torn media until it was separated.

It's pretty easy to tell if any damage was self inflicted during a cut open or if it was torn in service. When you see 2 or 4 identical tears at the ends of the pleats all around the seam, it's clear it was a failure in service.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I do not consider media that tears with your fingers much of an issue either, as oil does not typically apply those kinds of forces when the filter is in use. But I sure don't want media that tears under actual use!

You CAN get a feel for media strength with thumb pressure though, despite the heat the orange can gets here it has been my observation the media used is stronger than most for example.

When a pleat is spread open pretty wide, there can be a lot of force on the entire length of the pleat trying to push if over sideways ... and that force is what causes the brittle media to tear at the roots of the pleat where it's glued to the end caps because it can't flex right next to the end cap. I could made the media tear on a Purolator pretty easily by pushing sideways on a spread open pleat with not a lot of force.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Cutting open a Fram and Toyota filter with 14 psi spring bypass, and using finger pressure to open the valves, it actually is quite a lot of pressure that can be applied to media before a bypass event. The media has to be pretty darn strong.

Exactly

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Looks fine to me, I don't like popping endcaps but they are likely not much of an issue when the filter is still together......
This.

9300 miles, no tears, got the job done over a relatively substantial oci/fci. And while preferable not have/see the endcap popper, as long as leaf retainer spring working as designed, not a functional issue.

Thanks for c&p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back