Tire shopping - 2012 Accord EX-L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the Honda dealer the other day for warranty work and they mentioned "feathering" of the tires, then recommended an alignment and balance. I politely declined the service since my tires don't look (to me) to have abnormal wear and it drives smoothly. At any rate it got me thinking about tires in the future. The car currently has the OEM Michelin Pilots and is sitting at 38K. I haven't measured tread wear but they don't look spent just yet. The sidewall does have typical Michelin cracking going on though. Once the car is paid off (December 2016 or sooner Lord willing), I may slap a new set of shoes on it. The most important traits I am looking for are QUIET and smooth ride and good tread life. They don't need to cost an arm and a leg, but I would pay a bit more for good quality. I wouldn't mind having low rolling resistance tires, also wouldn't mind them having a sporty look but those obviously aren't determining factors. So, do any of you have recommendations...or even tires to avoid? The car is a 2012 Accord 2.4 EX-L with 17's.

Took one off ramp at speed
19.gif
OMG
shocked2.gif
your tires are feathered.

Feathering....a nice generic term that is used on prospective suckers to empty their wallet. A good rotation schedule should take care of that.

My thought is that if you're happy with the Pilots, why not hit them again....

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Took one off ramp at speed
19.gif
OMG
shocked2.gif
your tires are feathered.

Feathering....a nice generic term that is used on prospective suckers to empty their wallet. A good rotation schedule should take care of that.

My thought is that if you're happy with the Pilots, why not hit them again....

Yeah, I figured they were just trying to make a quick buck. I wouldn't mind trying a different tire thats quieter. These Accords are not the quietest riding cars as far as road noise is concerned. So anything that would help I am game for.

DT and Tire manufactures usually has good discount on big holidays. Black Friday is usually the last big sale of the year and the next big sale will be on Memorial Day weekend next year.

I need a set of tire for Volvo V70, this Memorial Day will be on May 30th, about 6 weeks from now, hopefully DT will have good sale.

Regardless of the application, the Pirelli P7 Plus are the quietest Grand-Touring tires that I have driven on. So if noise is your only concern, then I would give these a look.

In south FL, wet traction is probably a major concern. I have Michelin Premier A/S tires on my Prius and they have delivered phenomenal wet traction. The tires have 28,000 miles and still have 6/32" remaining (new is 8.5/32") despite my aggressive driving.

I put the V rated Gen RT43 17s on my Accord last quarter of last year. They replaced Michelin Primacy MXV4, a very good tire ime. So far overall performance equivalent to the Primacy. I'd recommend them.

Other suggestion would be Cooper CS5, in this case as noted the Ultra Touring. Have the Grand Touring on a Civic.

I've been happy with the Michelin energy saver tires for as OE on my accord hybrid. If you want something sportier, look at the pilot as/3. I too would look at the high end copper tires.

Last edited:
Seeing how you have the exact same tire size as me, I feel that I should flag my issues with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires. In short, I initially received 3 good tires and 1 bad tire, it took two months and another 3 tires being sent out to the dealer to find a good one. This means that 3 out of the 7 tires that I received had issues and had to be replaced. In addition, I am currently out of pocket $354 for the warranty work on the defective tires which is on top of the $152 purchase price of the original tire.

If you would like you can read the summary of my ongoing dealings with Pirelli here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4017260/4/IveBeenRued#Post4069126

As for the ride, these V-rated P7 A/S tires are much rougher over bumps than the H-rated P7 A/S tires I have on two other vehicles in my fleet. If I were to do it over again I'd go with the General RT43s for my vehicle. The T-rated are made in the US in this size and the V-rated are made in Germany. The P7 A/S are made in Mexico and may have issues as evident by experience.

I put some Continental Pure Contacts on my wife's Camry Hybrid a few months back.

They've been great so far. They're quiet,handle rain well and the LRR is a plus.

They've given a consistent 3-4 tenths of a MPG improvement over the Primacy MXV4s they replaced.

225/50-17, right?

Kumho Solus TA71
Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
Dunlop SP Sport Signature or Signature HP

Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun (a summer tire geared towards fuel economy). Since you're in Florida, you don't need all-season tires, right?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I too would look at the high end copper tires.

What is a "copper" tire?

Cooper tires
P.S. you used to work on computers so you know sometimes you double press the wrong key if too much on your head....
P.S. to P.S. are you still following JHZR2 around to prove him wrong?

If money were no object, then Pirelli Cinturato P7s would be perfect. Their handling is fantastic as well as quietness.

But if you're a pretty slow driver and don't care for sporty handling, General Altimax RT43. Smooth and quiet.

From what I hear the Cooper CS5 Ultras are right in the middle, with a lower price.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
JHZR2 said:
I too would look at the high end copper tires.

What is a "copper" tire?

Cooper tires
P.S. you used to work on computers so you know sometimes you double press the wrong key if too much on your head....

Never had too much "on" my head, and I am usually capable of proofreading. It was a legit question.
P.S. to P.S. are you still following JHZR2 around to prove him wrong?

No. Just reading posts and asking questions. If it gets your panties in a wad then you're welcome to ignore my posts.

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
Seeing how you have the exact same tire size as me, I feel that I should flag my issues with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires. In short, I initially received 3 good tires and 1 bad tire, it took two months and another 3 tires being sent out to the dealer to find a good one. This means that 3 out of the 7 tires that I received had issues and had to be replaced. In addition, I am currently out of pocket $354 for the warranty work on the defective tires which is on top of the $152 purchase price of the original tire.

If you would like you can read the summary of my ongoing dealings with Pirelli here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4017260/4/IveBeenRued#Post4069126

As for the ride, these V-rated P7 A/S tires are much rougher over bumps than the H-rated P7 A/S tires I have on two other vehicles in my fleet. If I were to do it over again I'd go with the General RT43s for my vehicle. The T-rated are made in the US in this size and the V-rated are made in Germany. The P7 A/S are made in Mexico and may have issues as evident by experience.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If money were no object, then Pirelli Cinturato P7s would be perfect. Their handling is fantastic as well as quietness.

But if you're a pretty slow driver and don't care for sporty handling, General Altimax RT43. Smooth and quiet.

From what I hear the Cooper CS5 Ultras are right in the middle, with a lower price.

After seeing IveBeenRued had so much problems with his Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires I wouldn't try any Pirelli.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

After seeing IveBeenRued had so much problems with his Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires I wouldn't try any Pirelli.

That stinks, they have excellent reviews on Tire Rack. Tires are expensive! Its been a couple years since I bought tires and they were on my previous Accord with 15's installed for less than $500!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back