Front pads at 73.4k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
These guys are the factory Lexus pads. I'm pleased with the mileage I got out of them. Probably would have lasted till the end of the year. What's a good amount of mile for pads anyway? Rears lasted about 55K

Dealer tried to change em for me at 500 dollars, I naturally said no. Threw on some clearance Centric that cost me 12 bucks, bed them in with my buddy's procedure (80-90mph to 0 in a heartbeat a few times). Didn't go faster as I'm trying to take it easy since the pistons/rings have less than 200mi on em. Those dang pads are awesome, couldn't believe the deal I got! Rotors seemed meh, ok..left em alone. Flushed the fluid while was at it.
Have Thermoquets with some fancy carbon rotors w/black paint on standby (I honestly thought the Centrics were going to be typical $12 pads)

Yeah not much meat left on them, they would have got into the rotors before you know it. Oem rotors from the factory are probably still better than anything the parts store will sell you

Not bad.

My 2004 VW Beetle TDI had 176k miles on it when I sold it in December. The original front brake pads still had about 3/4 pad left.

The OE front pad of my E430 only lasted 10k miles. My wife floored either gas or brake pedal all the time, also driving mostly in city with a lot of traffic signals is not good for gas mileage and tire either. The OEM tires lasted 14k miles and gas mileage was mostly in 16-17 miles a gallon.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Threw on some clearance Centric that cost me 12 bucks, bed them in with my buddy's procedure (80-90mph to 0 in a heartbeat a few times). Didn't go faster as I'm trying to take it easy since the pistons/rings have less than 200mi on em.

Why are you having motor work done on a 73k miles Lexus, and why on Earth would you use brand new brakes so hard like that ?

So, let me get this straight--your OE pads held up well despite you driving like a scofflaw, so you replace them with $12 pads?

That makes total sense.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The OE front pad of my E430 only lasted 10k miles. My wife floored either gas or brake pedal all the time, also driving mostly in city with a lot of traffic signals is not good for gas mileage and tire either. The OEM tires lasted 14k miles and gas mileage was mostly in 16-17 miles a gallon.

Some people shouldn't own cars.

Those were definitely due for a change. Mileage on pads varies with the vehicle, driving conditions, and the driver.

Pads were cheapo c tek. Beat on em because I can, like I said I have good set waiting to go in, and for 12 bucks more I found out that they are worth buying. The bed in (do in) procedure was to test my buddys claim, it worked for all his rams and superduties (a total of probably 700k miles +)The partial rebuild to the engine was the TSB for carbon buildup, compliments of Lexus.

Everywhere I read about bedding in new pads (including the GM service recommended procedure) says to do medium hard stops from about 40 mph. Do a stop, drive to cool them, repeat about 3 or 4 times. Nothing real drastic like what you did.

I had a pair of duralast on my Escape that had over 100k miles on them. I took them off about a month ago because they had not worn any measurable amount. I can see why they are lifetime pads.

I just wasn't comfortable with that because pads are designed to wear. I had to get them off of there.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik

Have Thermoquets with some fancy carbon rotors w/black paint on standby

Thermoquiets are not compatible with carbon rotors. Did you mean high carbon content iron rotors?

Originally Posted By: Trav

Thermoquiets are not compatible with carbon rotors. Did you mean high carbon content iron rotors?

Yeah .

Motor was fine, they induced a misfire code, probably by revving the grime out of it.

Thermoquiets in a import application are hit and miss - they will work initially but you'll definitely hear more noise as time goes on. I never had luck with Thermoquiets on a Honda or Toyota application. However, they are working fine on a friend's Subaru - but all the TQs are dimensionally off from the OEM pad.

I never cared for Centric, I had the better Posiquiet ones. They were OK when they were dry, but super grabby on the wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back