Good job, previous owner...bent backing plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
People often ask on BITOG, "what's the most reliable ancient pickup with a lot of miles that I can buy," this is why that's a moot question...

Cuxl8Af.jpg

I was replacing the rear brakes on my 1994 Ranger when this reared its head. I knew it was bent before I tore into the brakes, but was hopeful I could work around it. Nope. The new drum wouldn't even go on the new shoes. I thought it was worth trying at first, but I wasn't thrilled about having to take the third world garbage brakes* apart again.

*Thank you Miller88 for this name for these contraptions.

The drum itself was also chipped...
Fj1guwz.jpg

My best guess is the previous owner had it on a jack or something and knocked it off somehow. I think if it had happened while the truck was moving there would have been a lot more damage.

I didn't want to mess with pulling a backing plate at Pull-A-Part, so I called the Ford dealer. 1994 was obsolete, but 1995 was in the nearest distribution center, so I decided to get it. The only difference is the location of the adjuster access slot(s), and the 1995 backing plate has two of them. Good enough for me.

20cIMbH.jpg

All of the hoses are next on the list (2 up front and 1 on the rear axle). The fittings do not come loose, even with a correct crow's foot wrench, so it's cut & flare for everything that has to come undone. Thankfully this truck has a simple brake system and even the joke of a "rear ABS" hydraulic unit is still available.

Thats a unicorn. 4.0 4x4 MT

Had an auto 2002 4x4 4.0 and a 2004 4x4 4.0 MT

The slave cylinder is weak and requires dropping the transfer case and transmission for replacement.

Yowza, that is clean on the underside!

Good on you for figuring out where the damage was, and finangling a wrong model year plate onto it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
That's damage from a wheel coming off at speed. Probly a tire store didn't tighten the nuts and a wheel came off.not the old owners fault

That or it fell off a jack with the wheel removed.

Ha! I finally got mine figured out.

I guess I never would have thought about going to a pick and pull for a backing plate - around here, they would have been rusted to the axle.

I would also be buying a new one.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
That's damage from a wheel coming off at speed. Probly a tire store didn't tighten the nuts and a wheel came off.not the old owners fault

That or it fell off a jack with the wheel removed.
naw. I've seen both.one side of a ranger is very light.simply falling off a jack won't do that

Originally Posted By: Rand
Thats a unicorn. 4.0 4x4 MT

Had an auto 2002 4x4 4.0 and a 2004 4x4 4.0 MT

The slave cylinder is weak and requires dropping the transfer case and transmission for replacement.

It has a manual transfer case and manual hubs too, all factory.

Yeah, the slave cylinder on these trucks isn't great, but it doesn't worry me all that much. Worse things can happen.

I figured the damage would have been worse had that happened, but who knows. Either way, this is the kind of stuff you run into on older pickups. If it lasts 20 years, it's reliable, what you need to worry about is what happened during those 20 years.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Yowza, that is clean on the underside!

Good on you for figuring out where the damage was, and finangling a wrong model year plate onto it.

It admittedly doesn't look that clean everywhere underneath. I'm cleaning up and spray painting as I go. I grabbed a stick out of the yard and scraped off mud chunks on the frame while I was under it.
grin.gif

naw. I've seen both.one side of a ranger is very light.simply falling off a jack won't do that

This truck is very light...reg cab, short bed. There are scrapes that look like they might be from dragging too.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
How did that back plate bend like that without destroying/warp the brake drum?

The drum was rubbing against it, notice the clean inner lip. Also notice how bad the shoe was digging into one of the contact points on the backing plate.

Whatever happened did take a chunk out of the outer lip of the drum. I guess it got knocked off on impact, and they just put it back on and kept going. Everything was original, nothing had been done to try to fix/rig up the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back