Tranny Shifts "Smoother" on Maxlife vs. SP IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been researching SP IV transmission fluid for an upcoming fluid change. On numerous excellent Hyundai threads and YouTube, many are reporting excellent results with Valvolene Maxlife ATF, which lists SP IV "recommended". Note that Valvolene states this fluid will not void mfg. warranties, but also states it is not an OEM fluid, nor tested or approved by OEMs. Like oil filters, IF a warranty issue happens, one might have to seek repair through Valvolene, not the vehicle mfg.(IMO).

These changes are in the 30K to 60K range (OCI is 60 severe/100K or lifetime),point being is that the factory fill is not depleted. One guy even did a UOA at 56K and the fluid was still good. Numerous threads/Youtube are claiming that the Maxlife ATF results in noticeably smoother shifting. Some claim that at 60K plus miles of use, their trannies are running fine on Maxlife.

Could "noticeably smoother shifting" actually be a bad thing? I thought that I read here that this could actually be causing more wear on the clutch plates because they are "biting" less aggressively, in effect slipping a bit more.

Thank you.

Or it could just be the placebo effects. If Valvoline lists SPIV on their compatibility list I would use it, I know it's been great in my Buick since I had triple edge rebuild this one.

I've done 2 D&R's with Maxlife in my daughters 2008 Elantra and it seems to be excellent....I recommend Maxlife in the HD Elantra.

I use Maxlife in GM products as they don't seem to be too fussy. Any other manufacturer I would use OEM or OEM approved fluid. Thats just my opinion, but plenty of people use Maxlife in a variety of makes with success. OEM fluid will have the proper amount and type of friction modifiers and additives, so take that for what it is worth.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I use Maxlife in GM products as they don't seem to be too fussy. Any other manufacturer I would use OEM or OEM approved fluid. Thats just my opinion, but plenty of people use Maxlife in a variety of makes with success. OEM fluid will have the proper amount and type of friction modifiers and additives, so take that for what it is worth.

So far, this is also my take on Maxlife. I have used it in 2 different GM applications with good results, but that sums up my experience.

It can be used in the Volvo (Mobil 3309/ Toyota T-IV), but its slightly thinner than the OEM fluid too.. Their MVI (blue jug) is a little thicker, but I still ended up going with the 'Yoda fluid. 150k on the fluid and did a cooler line flush. She shifts great.

I do find it odd that Maxlife and MVI carry nearly identical approvals.

I ran Maxlife in my 00 Century for close to 50K miles and it continues to perform flawlessly. I ran it for 30k miles, changed it and will be doing it again this summer when I visit my son in CA, and service the car for him. I will use it again.

The toyota fluid will shear down - thinner - below maxlife's viscosity in no time.
3309 or Type 4 is not a synthetic fluid.

I use Maxlife hands down in everything we have ever owned, with an auto box.
The biggest improvement was an 09 Audi A4 6 speed quattro - the tranny loved the stuff.

Have fun:)

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Could "noticeably smoother shifting" actually be a bad thing? I thought that I read here that this could actually be causing more wear on the clutch plates because they are "biting" less aggressively, in effect slipping a bit more.

Thank you.

I've been using maxlife atf in my Taurus 6F50 trans that calls for Mercon LV. After 25K miles all is well. The shifts are imperceptible on level ground (unless using a lead foot), yet when starting from a stop to accelerate up a 15-20% grade the shifts are very firm. We have many of these steep hill situations and the shifts are confidence inspiring with no hint of slippage whatsoever.

Maxlife seems to be good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back