Cermaic solids in my brake grease? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would I want ceramic solids in my brake grease? Permatex advertises "Contains ceramic solids for extreme performance under the most critical braking parameters".

I don't understand how putting ceramic solids into grease improves lubricating properties.

Why not people swear by it in the engine.
lol.gif

Its hexagonal boron nitride AKA white graphite, it has no additional benefits over regular black graphite commonly used in brake grease but its good advertising.

The hexagonal Boron Nitride has a hardness approaching diamond. Like MoS2, the molecule is basically flat, so when applied to sliding surfaces, the grease will fill in the microscopic irregularities in the moving parts. The super hard flat plates of BN will slide over each other, supporting a very heavy load and also resist high heat. Perfect for caliper sliding parts. Other products that use BN are the Liquid Wrench line of spray lubes. The advertise "ceramic reinforced Teflon". The owner of the technology, Cerflon; says it put these BN particles inside a Teflon molecule to continue to provide barrier lubrication after Teflon fails.

I have also had all kinds of wheel bearing grease dry out and the caliper sticks, sil-glyde is all i use now.

If you buy new calipers, clean whatever grease is on the pins off, and put sil-glyde in its place. Who knows what they use for grease.

Last edited:
Is the SilGlyde better than Toyota Rubber Grease for slide pins? Toyota specs the lithium soap glycol grease (rubber grease)for their slide pins. I have seen at least one post on another forum claiming that the Toyota Rubber Grease absorbs moisture (not sure how accurate that info is), but I don't know why they would spec such a grease if silicone type greases are easily available.

X3 Sil-glyde. I am getting better at pulling the pucks out, by taking a the pad off and pumping the pedal. I clean them on a wire wheel, rinse out the guck and re-assemble. If I'm thrashing. I use a 4 " C clamp and a hammer. The last one, I pushed in past the dust cover with just my thumbs. If I can open the bleeder I can make the caliper work.

I have used Syl-glide a lot in the past and can attest that it is a "good" brake grease. For me, though it seems to dry up after a few years in less well sealed applications. I switched to Motorcraft XG3A silicone grease a couple years ago and it has worked very well. Its a little pricey though, so next time I run out I'll likely try the 3M or Jet-Lube silicone compound.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
Is the SilGlyde better than Toyota Rubber Grease for slide pins? Toyota specs the lithium soap glycol grease (rubber grease)for their slide pins. I have seen at least one post on another forum claiming that the Toyota Rubber Grease absorbs moisture (not sure how accurate that info is), but I don't know why they would spec such a grease if silicone type greases are easily available.

Perhaps they think its better?

Daihatsu spec "rubber grease" (which MAY be the stuff you refer to above) and the sticking caliper I took apart recently was surprisingly corrosion-free considering the amount of muck in it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4041758/2

Unfortunately I only had silicone grease to hand when I put it back together, but I'll use "rubber grease" when I do the other side.

I bought some Bendix Ceramlube in Australia but seem to have lost it.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon

That we don't know - the Toyota stuff is thinner than silicone grease and it can be used for the internal seals of the caliper - it mixes in with brake fluid. Subaru calls for similar - Niglube RX-2 on slide pins.

IMO, Permatex caliper grease has no business near slide pins or brake hardware with any kind of rubber on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back