I may have DESTROYED my TRANSMISSION, atf change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I may be driving on borrowed time....

I checked the ATF level on my "new to me" 2008 Scion xB with the oil burner 2.4L 2AZ-FE and the U241E automatic transmission (130k miles mostly highway supposedly)...... It was definitely overfilled, irritating to me. But hey, maybe somebody actually changed it before 130k miles, so that could be a silver lining. No leaks and no real major shifting issues, a soft 1-2 shift transition compared to a newer on I drove, no biggie.

I had 4 quarts of fresh genuine Toyota WS on hand so I did a drain and fill of 3.25quarts, 3.75quarts had come out during the drain. She is just about at perfect level now.

So, assuming it was original fill, I have commited a major sin from what I have read. So far she is shifting crisper. But my mind wonders what monsters I am unleashing inside.

Here's some fluid comparison photos of old to new on paper towel as well as paper. Ignore the dots and specks in the photos, dirt got behind my iPhone lens. I also have a sample for Blackstone Analysis but I fear the tranny may be killed by my foolish choice before I even get the results back. I'm having an OCD paranoia guys.

If your xB is backspec'd for WS you should be fine....you certainly won't hurt it by doing a D&R (as opposed to a power flush).

PS: My 2008 Corolla was overfilled at the factory.

I have difficulty buying into the logic of not changing the fluid in a transmission that has many miles on it. IMHO, if the transmission was going to fail, changing the fluid does not accelerate that issue--it was destined to fail regardless. From the opposite point of view, changing the fluid and filter removes contaminants and can reduce strain on the pump if the filter is loaded up. I have never believed in lifetime fill of anything--particularly in vehicles that tow or see heavy loads.

Everything you said sounds perfect to me. Good job!

I'd do two more drain and fills spaced out every 500 miles.

Originally Posted By: pbm

The 2005 Matrix was as well.

Personally I would have used something other than WS, but beyond that, not a thing wrong with what you did. What are you worrying about?

If your xB is backspec'd for WS you should be fine....you certainly won't hurt it by doing a D&R (as opposed to a power flush).

Please explain what a power flush is? What makes it a "power" flush". And why you feel it might hurt something?

If you think you've underfilled it, just add another half quart
smile.gif

Toyota's own WS isn't the greatest ATF, but it will do the job. Maxlife is awesome and at a good price too.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Please explain what a power flush is? What makes it a "power" flush". And why you feel it might hurt something?

I think of a 'power flush' as having a machine pump new fluid through the system. I'm not saying that a machine flush will cause problems but I am saying that a D&R won't.

I believe that some people feel the pressurized flush can loosen debris. I don't know if this is true but I do know my old Accord recommended 3 D&R's rather than a machine flush.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I have difficulty buying into the logic of not changing the fluid in a transmission that has many miles on it.

I have 245K miles on a vintage 1995 automatic transmission. I did not bother changing the fluid until around 165K (or was it 180K, I forget).

Originally Posted By: Donald

I think of a 'power flush' as having a machine pump new fluid through the system. I'm not saying that a machine flush will cause problems but I am saying that a D&R won't.

I believe that some people feel the pressurized flush can loosen debris. I don't know if this is true but I do know my old Accord recommended 3 D&R's rather than a machine flush.

You need to read upon on how a flush works. Your description is incorrect. In the most basic terms a flush is a fluid exchange using the pump in the transmission to pump the new ATF through the system. You can do it yourself using the cooling lines as long as you keep adding new ATF at the proper rate down the dipstick. What a machine does is to push new ATF into the pan at the same rate the transmission is pumping ATF out the cooler line. It does not do any pumping through the system. The flush itself will not damage a working transmission. Any exchange of ATF by any means is likely to do some cleaning, loosening crud and putting it in suspension. In some case you might have to change the ATF filter a thousand miles after the flush as it might get filled up with crud if the transmission was in really bad shape.

A Magnefine inline filter is a good idea to add to the transmission as it will pick up any crud flowing in the ATF and can be easily changed.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I have difficulty buying into the logic of not changing the fluid in a transmission that has many miles on it.

I have 245K miles on a vintage 1995 automatic transmission. I did not bother changing the fluid until around 165K (or was it 180K, I forget).

Its not logic, its just that people ignore their transmission until it act up and then want a flush to be a cure all. The flush helps a good transmission, but does little to one about to fail. And the shops do not want $100 for a flush when the transmission is on its last legs and they will be blamed for any issues.

The old fluid, at least on paper, still looks fine to me. I wouldn't worry about a thing. I'd swap out more fluid as suggested by previous posters.

If you think yours is bad you should of seen what came out of a '97 Corolla with 135K on the original factory Dex III when I got it from a friend. Black water, actually the fluid seemed to flow more like rubbing alcohol... 80K later and it's still shifting smooth as ever on Dex VI.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Why does your subject heading not match the posting details?

A typical attention grabbing headline to get attention. He loves attention.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'm not sure what is troubling you; you removed old fluid and put in fresh. I would do it a few more times, as suggested above.

Its troubling that I couldnt and dont really feel comfortable doing a pan drop. I wonder about the additives reaping havoc grabbing gunk up and slinging it around and plugging the filter. Paranoia mostly. It cant be bad to have fresh fluid can it.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: JC1
Why does your subject heading not match the posting details?

A typical attention grabbing headline to get attention. He loves attention.

Actually I dislike attention. And you seem to follow my posts religiously.
wink.gif

And this is a serious concern sir. I made a quality post with images and description.

You're fine. That old fluid still looks pretty good.

I had a 1997 Camry that I did a drain and fill on. It literally looked just like chocolate milk that came out. I did 2 more drain and fills and the fluid cleared up to red pretty good.

Even took it on a 1 week/3,000 mile road trip afterwards. The drain and fills didn't change how it shifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back