Quality toolbox recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Ice always wanted s Kennedy for whatever reason. I'm looking to get a box to hold all my most common tools for a job working on my car. I have two large rolling chests in my basement shop, and all my impact stuff in my garage toolbox. I always seem to shuttle back and forth too much grabbing stuff. It's primarily due to poor planning, so if I keep the common tools in a box that they always live in, then hopefully I'll be faster/more efficient.

I've seen the kind where the top opens with one hinge, and then there's a pull out tray.

Another kind that opens top center and has fold out but not removable trays. 1022B I think.

Any thoughts/recommendations? I'm not opposed to a cheaper made in USA plastic box, but like I said, I've always wanted a Kennedy.

I'd likely keep a 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet set, Allen and torx drivers, maybe Allen and torx male sockets, a set of screwdrivers, stuff like that which is likely to be encountered.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Harbor Freight 30" Tool Cart for $170 would be hard to beat. Check youtube, plenty working pros use this daily and they seem to hold up great.
http://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-5-Drawer-Glossy-Red-Tool-Cart-61427.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNTEzNzkwNjciLCJza3UiOiI2MTQyNyIsImlzIjoiMTY5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjEwNDA5In0%3D%0D%0A
image_24150.jpg

I'm not opposed to Kennedy at all, they are made right here in Ohio. If your heart is set on the Kennedy just purchase what you want then.

I used to have a Kennedy 3407X. Even though the drawers were small, they were quite heavy for their size.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd go back to Kennedy.

I have a Kennedy 3901MP. It doesn't have the top opening though but rather a work surface area coated with Line-X type material. It's a good box, & I can see why you gravitate toward Kennedy.

Something like this?

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/...m.campaignId=WP

You can still find some Craftsman Pro boxes around, good boxes but discontinued the newer EDGE Series isn't bad and made in the USA.
One important feature for me on a chest that rolls is that the draws latch, once the draws start opening there is no stopping it and over she goes. On a big tall box that can be a little dangerous.

If you want something really useful and great to work with this or the classic 166N s the one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automtotive-Shop-Tool-Trolley-4-Section-Lockable-Collapsible-Hazet-Assistant-New-/271976108019?hash=item3f530a0ff3:g:QzwAAOSw0vBUcUl4&item=271976108019&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive-Shop-...w-/271901534731

Whatever you get, split the tools into two boxes of equal size and close to the same weight--makes it much easier to carry both boxes around with a balanced load. In my case, my wrenches and sockets go in one box with most of the other everyday tools in another box. I vastly prefer two mediums to one large that is hard to lift and store. I've got a large Kennedy inherited from my father and it is a beautiful box but too heavy when loaded--I end up using it for less frequently used stuff. I prefer plastic to metal for everyday use--easier on things like hardwood floors, the trunk of the car, a boat deck, etc. Plus, no problem setting it down on a wet driveway or on muddy ground. I like a lid that is fairly waterproof--at least with no major gaping openings, so when it starts to rain and I am outdoors I can close the lid and protect the tools.

Last edited:
When I visited San Diego many years ago the homeless people used supermarket trolleys to move their stuff (incl recycling) around.

I'd think that'd work quite well for tool transport/storage.

Convenient height, and you could probably fit a ready-access tray, perhaps with magnetic holders, to the top.

Harder to get hold of here though, and the newer ones have the braked-on-ridged-surfaces wheels which don't roll so well.

So many men think bigger is better. I have an old 8 drawer Waterloo bottom unit that I use as a roll around cart. I have 3/4 inch plywood on top for a convenient work space, tool setting place, etc.. This works perfect. It can be easily rolled around to where you are working. I ONLY keep my most often used automotive tools in it. No power tools, or other bulky stuff. Many thinner drawers works excellent. With deeper drawers, you end up piling stuff on top of each other. My tools are also "unitized". I can grab sets of stuff to take out in the field.

My unit is similar to this:
mbzkcbNSp6t55zWpYYTIw0Q.jpg
wrench-rack.jpg

I think the Kennedy 1022 is going to be hard to beat. The only downside is they are not lightweight. Good for longevity though.

The 1022 is usually priced a lower than the 220 (tray type), and I would say it has more usable room.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So, I'm looking for a tool box. Like a 20-24" hand carry unit. Nothing that's on wheels or that type of size.

NO HF or Chinesium. US made only.

Something like this:

http://www.kennedymfg.com/products/signature-series/1022/

Any opinions on if cantilevered vs tray type is better?

So, I'm looking for a tool box. Like a 20-24" hand carry unit. Nothing that's on wheels or that type of size.

NO HF or Chinesium. US made only.

Something like this:

http://www.kennedymfg.com/products/signature-series/1022/

I have an old craftsman that had been great I can't speak to the new ones quality though. Did my message to you go through?

I dont know if you are a moderator or not.

I dont know why you are avoiding the Kennedy you seem to want.

But at Wal-Mart I got a plastic one that is neither China nor USA made. I like it and take care of it and try not to abuse, but I dont have it loaded heavily either.

I was at TSC and saw a really sharp looking Stanley. I liked it alot, but have no need so you probably wont see it with me anytime soon. But it was metal and it looked like the kind that holds more than it should. I didnt open it but did study its dimensions and it could probably carry plenty of anything.

Good luck Friend!

My main gripe about the cantilever type is you can't open it up when it's sitting against the wall. My other gripe is that you're constantly flattening out the tools stored on the shelves and in the main compartment so that you can close the box. And then there's the weight; you get that thing loaded up and it's a bear to carry.

My advice ? Get two of the 220s. That way you're balanced out when you're carrying them.

A lot of guys at work have Kennedy boxes. I think they look nice and wouldnt mine eventually having one myself.

Of the few various guys have let me test them out, I dont think the drawers had bearings in the slides. I can see this being an issue if it gets loaded down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back