Good chain for MTB in wet/dirty conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I ride frequently enough that I run into sand, rain, puddles, etc, on a regular basis. need a good durable chain that will take all of the trash that gets thrown at it. I always have, and do plan to do very regular lubes, and I'll be doing the paraffin hot bath as well.

I'm over 6 feet, over 200 lbs., and I really push the pedals good, so I know the chain is under amazing stress. I want something that will last as long as possible with proper care.

Doesn't need to be anything cheap. I spend for quality. But doesn't need to be the French super exotic stuff either. This will be disposed of one day.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I ride a 2014 Trans-am 650b.

From my experience, the more expensive chains shave-off grams, and are much weaker than your regular "pedestrian" Shimano and SRAM.

I'd honestly recommend any Shimano that fits your cassette. Use wet lube when conditions are wet, dry lube when conditions are dry.

Expensive chains don't clean themselves, unfortunately. That part is on us.

I'm not sure how many speeds you need the chain to be compatible with, but I've used 8 speed chains made by SRAM, Shimano, and KMC. About 80% of the miles I log are on pavement, the other 20% are on dirt/sand MTB trails and gravel fire roads. I have also been using Finish Line Dry to lubricate the chains every 400-500 miles. So, while I can't speak for your riding conditions or wax lubricants, here's how a few different chains have held up under my use.

I wasn't impressed with the SRAM at all. It rusted quickly and only lasted 1,500 miles. After that, I used Shimano chains for a while and liked them. I would usually get around 4,000 miles out of a Shimano chain, but they would lightly rust before the end of their life. More recently, I've been using KMC X8.99 chains and love them. They are the best shifting of the three brands I've used, don't rust at all, cost less than the Shimano, and last me about 4500 miles.

Also, look carefully at chains that that say that they are nickel plated. You will often find that only the outer links are nickel plated while the inner links are bare steel. The KMC X8.99 is the only chain I've used where both the inner and outer links nickel plated.

SRAM on my Trek Remedy. SRAM, SHimano with both need attention to cleaning and lube if your in harsh conditions. As said the price goes up when the weight goes down not an increase in longevity. White Lightning and a brush
shocked.gif

If I'm in wet/dirty I'm cleaning often and using a wet lube.

In that case the chains don't matter as much. I'd agree with DemoFly the pricier chains save weight and friction, which don't matter to a clyde on a mountain bike with wet lube.

To be honest, I go though a few a year and don't think much about it, whatever is on sale Shimano/sram/kmc. I'd probably try to match the cassette brand if the price were the same.

I'm 6'4" 240lbs and went through two KMC chains in a little over 3,000 miles of mixed road/trail use.

When searchin for a more durable, longer life chain I found the KMC X10SL with DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coating. It has gone about 2,500 miles so far with no signs of stretching and no visible (or audible) signs of wear.

Read about it here: KMC Web Site

Different colors are available: KMC DLC/TiN Chains

Get an idea of street price here: KMC Chain on Amazon

I highly recommend this chain.

HTH

Last edited:
On two of my bikes, I use Shimano XT ten speed chains. Both bikes have ten speed drivetrains.
I'm 6'5", 250 pounds. One of my bikes is a fat bike with 5" tires on 100mm rims. I ride the bike in snow, sand, woods...
I just ruined the aluminum driver in my Hope Pro2 hub on my fat bike. Chain is fine.

I used to run SLX chains to save a couple of bucks and I felt they may be slightly stronger since they weighed slightly more, but they also rust sooner. The XT has some sort of plating that keeps it nice longer.

All very good advice. Thanks a bunch.

I'm going to go ahead and bite the bullet on the KMC DLC chain.

I'll let you all know how it turns out for me.
smile.gif

Shimano chains (except XT/XTR/Dura Ace level) are made by KMC. Both Shimano or KMC make the best chains, way better than SRAM (I run KMC on both my SRAM equipped bikes) for durability and longevity.

The advantage of KMC is they are ususeparetlyally cheaper than equivelent Shimano and they come with a reusable link...unlike Shimano where you have to purchase this separate.

For wet and muddy rides I've found the Ti Nitride versions with a good wet lube work great.

Bike chains are the number one wear item. There really isn't any advantage to using an expensive chain (Wipperman stainless) over a cheap one (KMC) except for bragging rights. Keep it clean after every ride, lube often, wipe off excess.

Shimano licensed a few patents to KMC - but Shimano chains are still made in Japan, KMC is made in Taiwan. Use either with confidence.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
...and I really push the pedals good...

First let me say, watch your cadence! 90+ is the goal, 100-120 is perfect. If you are sitting there mashing in high gear at like 30rpm then you are 1)wasting energy and 2)destroying your drivetrain.

That said, I like the Sram chains, they seem to last a while for me plus they come pre-lubed with some great stuff that lasts a good long time. Don't know if you need an 8, 9 or 10 speed chain but in either case make sure you measure your chain stretch regularly and consider the wear and tear on your cassette and chainrings also; they WILL be permanently damaged by running a worn out chain.

As far as lube, my personal advice is to keep it simple. A little degreaser and a stiff brush once in a while when needed. Otherwise just keep it lubed with your favorite lube, as there are MANY good ones. My two top picks for mountain biking are Boeshield T9 and Liquid Wrench Chain Lube. They both go on as liquid with strong solvents which evaporate leaving a waxy film. Of course, many other good choices depending on preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back