Floor Jack Doesn't Roll On Asphalt

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I put my 135i up on four jackstands this weekend to do a full set of fluid changes. Its a little hairy to do this, both on the way up and the way down, but I think some of it is on my driveway's end. I do all my car work on an asphalt section of my driveway (the rest is pavers). My floor jack (Hein Warner 2 ton) which is a beast and lifts really well, does NOT roll. Noticing that I went to borrow that HF aluminum jack, thinking maybe it was my wheels or something, and it doesn't roll either. I thought the jack was supposed to roll relative to the vehicle to allow the lift to go vertically while the lift arm travels in an arc.

What's the correct deal with this? If they're supposed to be rolling, Ill look to buy a piece of 1/8 or so sheet steel to give it a smooth surface (Im thinking plywood is too soft).

Just want to do the safest thing. I also noticed some oddities lifting by the diff, but thats for a different thread...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I put my 135i up on four jackstands this weekend to do a full set of fluid changes. Its a little hairy to do this, both on the way up and the way down, but I think some of it is on my driveway's end. I do all my car work on an asphalt section of my driveway (the rest is pavers). My floor jack (Hein Warner 2 ton) which is a beast and lifts really well, does NOT roll. Noticing that I went to borrow that HF aluminum jack, thinking maybe it was my wheels or something, and it doesn't roll either. I thought the jack was supposed to roll relative to the vehicle to allow the lift to go vertically while the lift arm travels in an arc.

What's the correct deal with this? If they're supposed to be rolling, Ill look to buy a piece of 1/8 or so sheet steel to give it a smooth surface (Im thinking plywood is too soft).

Just want to do the safest thing. I also noticed some oddities lifting by the diff, but thats for a different thread...

I have often wondered - why not hexagonal wheels instead of round ones for hydraulic floor jacks?

The asphalt is probably conforming slightly to the shape of the steel wheels and preventing the wheels from rolling.

Whenever I use the wheeled jack to lift it always rolls a bit as the car rises. This is on concrete.

Last edited:
They may jam on the stones.
Mine rolls on old concrete, but pulverizes the tiny stones proud of the aggregate.

buy a piece of 1/8 or so sheet steel to give it a smooth surface

That's exactly what I have. My 1/8" thick piece is 4' long by 12" wide. I bought it from a steel place, having had them cut it to size from 4x8 stock. I think it cost $30. My jack rolls smooth as glass on the steel sheet.

Plywood is acceptably hard enough, but only if you use maple or Baltic birch (hardwood) ply. Furniture-manufacturing plants have this. But steel is much preferable to hardwood ply; ply tends to absorb moisture, which softens the surface.

My floor jack sinks into my 20 year old asphalt driveway when I use it but I found the perfect solution. The local farm store sells 3/4 inch heavy duty mats for horse stalls. I bought one and cut into various sizes and they work great. No damage to driveway and the jack can move while lifting the car. Also put some under my washing machine and it's much more stable and quiet.

Originally Posted By: cwing6
Also put some under my washing machine and it's much more stable and quiet.

I've done this with old semi-trailer mud flaps.

shouldn't use a jack on asphalt without a base like plywood or metal plate. Asphalt isn't a hard substance think of it just like cooled tar or a rubber sheet. You're going to dig in the wheels and leave divots.

If you have to put down a board under the floor jack, wouldn't it be less work to use a bottle jack instead? Most bottle jacks have a decently wide base, not sure if a board under them is necessary, or just desirable.

Back in February you claimed to have an EZ Lift. Why would you use a roll around floor jack when you have a lift available?

No doubt the asphalt is partly to blame, but you could try lubing the wheels really well. I know it makes a huge difference just rolling my floor jacks across the shop floor.

Get some 5/8"+ birch plywood, it should be hard enough. You should probably use it under the jackstands too when it gets warm out.
I use a wide oak plank on my gravel driveway and the jack rolls quite easily, but I have the wide single front roller.

Asphalt isn't a solid like concrete. I wouldn't use the jack or the stands directly on the asphalt.I use 1/2 plywood scraps.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Back in February you claimed to have an EZ Lift. Why would you use a roll around floor jack when you have a lift available?

Ever think that one might want to do certain tasks where a jack is faster?

Ever think that one asset might be tied up and you want to do something on another vehicle?

For someone of such "superior" intellect and composition, you sure don't have much of a clue, do you? Nothing like an immature troll twice my age.

Originally Posted By: cwing6
The local farm store sells 3/4 inch heavy duty mats for horse stalls. I bought one and cut into various sizes and they work great. No damage to driveway and the jack can move while lifting the car. Also put some under my washing machine and it's much more stable and quiet.

Thanks for posting this! I checked Tractor Supply and they have it, this will be be great in part the workshop.

Ever think that one might want to do certain tasks where a jack is faster?

Ever think that one asset might be tied up and you want to do something on another vehicle?

For someone of such "superior" intellect and composition, you sure don't have much of a clue, do you? Nothing like an immature troll twice my age.

LOL!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back