Trying to talk some sence into my brother....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother currently drives a 1991 Buick Park avenue. It only has 118K miles but is not without flaws. It has about 6 codes stored, not sure what they all are but currently the only drive-ability issue is it likes to shut off at random. Its not without warning though, it normally happens when you are at a stop or when you have been coasting (foot off gas). The idle also will jump up and down before it stalls out. He will be getting a 1981 Chevy C10 from our grandfather in a couple months and he wants to take the Buick off the insurance and put the pickup on it to use as his primary car. He feels the truck will be "more reliable transportation". In my opinion he should just fix the Buick as it has one of the most reliable drivetrains GM has put out and it only has 118K miles. He is worried that the stalling out issue is caused by the ECM and will cost$$. I told him its probably something simple like a fuel filter or similar but he doesn't seem to want to believe that. A little background info on the truck, it has the 250 straight 6 and a 3 speed manual. Its sitting around 180K currently and as far as I know doesn't have any glaring issues. It has some rust, oil leaks etc. I noticed once that it took a couple tries to start (not sure if that would be anything major, but worth mentioning). Anyway, there is a vast store of knowledge on this forum, and he wanted me to post this to get the opinions of the BITOG members on which car should be his daily, and ultimately which should be less of a money pit. I already have my opinion on which one he should use but he wanted me to ask the BITOG community. So shoot!

He's going to hate driving that gutless straight 6/3 on the tree rig after driving a 150+hp/automatic car all this time.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
He's going to hate driving that gutless straight 6/3 on the tree rig after driving a 150+hp/automatic car all this time.
Yeah its certainly no rocket but the Buick has 220 tq and 200 hp. His other hang-up is that the Buick doesn't get stellar MPG's, he is convinced that the Truck gets 18 MPG. I don't know much of anything about the C10 so he may be right, could anyone shed some light on the MPG's on the 250 6 in the Chevy?

I don't see how there's any way that truck could be anywhere near as reliable as the Buick.

Could be a fuel pump or something else simple.

I had a 1996 Chevy C1500 Silverado that did basically the same thing. It would randomly stall.

Turned out it was the fuel pump relay. It wasn't making a good connection and was a little loose as far as connection. Was like 2 bolts for the fuse box to be removed and I was able to tighten things up under there and pop it all back into place. Also replaced the relay. You could hear the fuel pump get louder (noisy on those trucks) when you wiggle the relay when it would make a better connection.

If it has a Schrader valve under the hood for the fuel line, you can screw on a fuel pressure gauge (rented for free at the auto parts store). They're dead simple to use, takes less than 30 seconds to screw it on. Then when it stalls, you can see what the pressure is.

Hate to say it, but driving a full-size truck with less horsepower than a tiny Honda Fit leaves little to be desired. It wouldn't be my daily driver. I'd rather drive the Buick if I had to pick between the two. But lets be honest, no one under 40 years old bought one of those big Buicks new back in the day.

The L27 has 160 hp that year I believe, unless it's before the 91-92 switch then it's LN3 and about 165 hp and 210 torque.

Unless it's supercharged?

So let him drive the truck for a while and find out for himself. You are likely fighting a losing battle trying to convince him.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
So let him drive the truck for a while and find out for himself. You are likely fighting a losing battle trying to convince him.

Totally agree! Old enough to drive, old enough to make his own choices.

Without the codes its hard to diagnose.. Those Engines GM had were usually very very strong engines and with the right care im pretty sure that vehicle will go another 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The L27 has 160 hp that year I believe, unless it's before the 91-92 switch then it's LN3 and about 165 hp and 210 torque.

Unless it's supercharged?

That's right...its 170 hp and 220 tq of I remember correctly

Originally Posted By: HM12460

I totally get that. I just don't want him to spend the money on adding one car to insurance and dropping another only to find that it may have been the wrong decision. Adding a vehicle on his insurance isn't cheap.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Try and talk some sense into him rather than some sence.

Good call
wink.gif

The Buick will definitely be better for a younger lad as far as reliabilty. More power and easier to drive as well. Id strip the truck down and restore. That would be a cool weekend cruiser. Its unfair you guys down south have classics a dime a dozen
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
NHGUY said:
His other hang-up is that the Buick doesn't get stellar MPG's

Is this a 3800 powered car? My 3800's always got amazing gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Does the truck have power steering, power brakes, or even a radio? I'm sure it has no A/C.

Power steering, brakes, and radio yes, A/C no.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
NHGUY said:

Yes. It's the L27 3.8. We have recorded the MPG's a couple of times and it was anywhere between 11-15 MPG. So something is wrong that is impacting MPG.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
NHGUY said:

Yes. It's the L27 3.8. We have recorded the MPG's a couple of times and it was anywhere between 11-15 MPG. So something is wrong that is impacting MPG.
How is his commute? Short trips? Hard driving when no one is looking? It was rated for 15 mpg when new, so that doesn't sound that far off. Especially if it's all just cold starts and short trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back