Appropriate oil for gasoline engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, folks.

Have been using Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 for years in my gasoline Honda Accord and have no issues so far.
However, since it is C2/C3 ACEA and I see it is mostly recommended for diesel engines is it a better idea to switch to A3, A4 ACEA oil which is recommended for gasoline engines?

And regarding the viscosity isn't it better to drive with 5w40? Here ambient temperatures are in the -5C (20F) in the winter to +38C (100F). I've always had concern with 5w30 oil being used in the very hot summers.

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is popular choice amongst us Europeans for its quality/price/availability combo.
Valvoline SynPower 5w40 is my second choice.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is popular choice amongst us Europeans for its quality/price/availability combo.

Thanks! I will certainly look for Shell Helix and Valvoline.
Is my idea about switching from 5w30 to 5w40 meaningful or both will work equally fine in high ambient temperatures?

Originally Posted By: Proxyon
Originally Posted By: chrisri

Thanks! I will certainly look for Shell Helix and Valvoline.
Is my idea about switching from 5w30 to 5w40 meaningful or both will work equally fine in high ambient temperatures?

Where in Europe? If in EU you can stick to ESP. ESP is dual rated for gas and diesel.
Due to ULSG in EU, ESP will perform good and will be healthier for your carbon deposits if your Accord has DI engine.

In Greece.

It becomes really hot in the summer here with ambient temperatures exceeding 38C (100 F). I still do not know if 5w30 or 5w40 would be better.

It was here on this forum time ago when I was advised that the ESP was probably not the best option for my gasoline engine. People were like: "Why would you put recommended oil for DPF diesel engines with C2/C3 specs on a gas engine when you have plenty of other options."
I ignored it, so far no issues with the ESP, however, after this advice has always sounded in the back of my mind. And probably there is a good point on it.

In Greece.

It becomes really hot in the summer here with ambient temperatures exceeding 38C (100 F). I still do not know if 5w30 or 5w40 would be better.

It was here on this forum time ago when I was advised that the ESP was probably not the best option for my gasoline engine. People were like: "Why would you put recommended oil for DPF diesel engines with C2/C3 specs on a gas engine when you have plenty of other options."
I ignored it, so far no issues with the ESP, however, after this advice has always sounded in the back of my mind. And probably there is a good point on it.

I am originally from Bosnia and I know Greece climate very well.
DO not worry. Greece climate is not as hot as in southeast US or deserts here.
5W30 will perform in your Accord perfectly fine in Greece. Take into consideration that M1 5W30 ESP HTHS is 3.58 and HTHS of Motul 5W40 X-Clean is 3.64cp! That is negligible difference.
I was running Castrol 0W30 in Alabama where temperatures reach in summer 115f, and humidity spikes to 98% with no problems. I was running M1 5W30 ESP oil in Tiguan in Colorado and visiting Moab, UT in July where temperatures go well above 100f.
If your Accord is Direct injection engine, ESP might be much better solution due to lower-SAPS content. If your engine is NOT DI, then you could go to ACEA A3/B B4. There is pretty good evidence that Low-SAPS oil such as ESP will leave less deposits on valves then High-SAPS oil.

Hi, folks.

Have been using Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 for years in my gasoline Honda Accord and have no issues so far.
However, since it is C2/C3 ACEA and I see it is mostly recommended for diesel engines is it a better idea to switch to A3, A4 ACEA oil which is recommended for gasoline engines?

And regarding the viscosity isn't it better to drive with 5w40? Here ambient temperatures are in the -5C (20F) in the winter to +38C (100F). I've always had concern with 5w30 oil being used in the very hot summers.

OK, to further clarify this confusion. In Greece you can use C3 (like your ESP) or A3/B4 , possible even A5/B5. Honda isn't picky in terms of oil requirements.
With full -SAPS your catalyst will (theoretically) last shorter.
0w30 is not too thin for your engine, but 5w40 oil, like SHU, is most cost effective.
As Eddy mentioned earlier if your Honda is direct injected stick with C3 lube.

Last edited:
For normal driving a A3/B4 5W-40 would be just fine. You can try Motul X-Cess 8100 5W-40, Ravenol VST 5W-40 is also a good option.
In the greek summer I'm sure a good 5W-50 like Motul Sport Ester, or Mobil 1 would do a great job, especially if you're a "racy" driver and do much highway driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan
For normal driving a A3/B4 5W-40 would be just fine. You can try Motul X-Cess 8100 5W-40, Ravenol VST 5W-40 is also a good option.
In the greek summer I'm sure a good 5W-50 like Motul Sport Ester, or Mobil 1 would do a great job, especially if you're a "racy" driver and do much highway driving.

5W50? He is not driving in Sahara!
I used 0W30 in much worse summer conditions then Greece has and no issues. Let's not overthink this. It is Greece not Mali.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I used 0W30 in much worse summer conditions then Greece has and no issues. Let's not overthink this. It is Greece not Mali.

Believe me, no need to drive in Sahara to use a good 5W-50 oil, full synthetic oils with 5W-50 viscosity sell out of Sahara also, and people that use them have quite good results using them. I know Greece quite well (maybe better than you), I live quite near it and know what people run in Greece and what's good for such climate conditions quite well.
You may use the oil that you want in your car, in Greece in summer the temperatures often climb above 40 degrees Celsius, if you consider 0W-30 the perfect oil for 43 Celsius and over, it's up to you, better keep such advices for yourself, some people may take them seriously. Nothing bad to use in high heat conditions (as summer Greece) a good full-synthetic oil like Motul 5W-50 Sport Ester, extremely thin oils like 0W-20/0w-30 are much worse options, more if high speed highway high temp summer driving is involved.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 has some impressive specs and manufacturer approvals. For you being in Europe, I believe it is the same as Shell Helix Ultra.

I plan to use it in my fiance's mini cooper and my E70 X5 after I use up the Liqui-Moly I have.

Originally Posted By: Thebimmerfan

Believe me, no need to drive in Sahara to use a good 5W-50 oil, full synthetic oils with 5W-50 viscosity sell out of Sahara also, and people that use them have quite good results using them. I know Greece quite well (maybe better than you), I live quite near it and know what people run in Greece and what's good for such climate conditions quite well.
You may use the oil that you want in your car, in Greece in summer the temperatures often climb above 40 degrees Celsius, if you consider 0W-30 the perfect oil for 43 Celsius and over, it's up to you, better keep such advices for yourself, some people may take them seriously. Nothing bad to use in high heat conditions (as summer Greece) a good full-synthetic oil like Motul 5W-50 Sport Ester, extremely thin oils like 0W-20/0w-30 are much worse options, more if high speed highway high temp summer driving is involved.

First of all, maybe you do not know Greece better then me since I am from the Balkans too, so yes, very familiar with the country.
And no, no need for such heavy oils. Honda is using 0W20 oils in those engines in places like Nevada, Arizona, etc. Greece is Greenland compare to those places. Interestingly enough, cars still make huge amount of miles.
But, even worse, Honda as any other Japanese engine builder builds engines with very tight tolerances and around very light oils. Using W50 oils in such cars is never good.
Also you are stuck on kinematic viscosity of oil instead of focusing on HTHS which is what matters during hard exploitation. Any oil that has HTHS over 3.5cp is anyway overkill for that engine, not to mention Motul 5W50 that has HTHS probably 4.0cp. Only thing what that Motul will do in the engine is create more heat.

My take on this is, if you have oil temp gauge, what is your max oil temp on long highway drives and at hot afternoon traffic jams ?
previously with a 82C thermostat, I get a max oil temp of 106C for long highway drives 3K rpm, and about 100C in long traffic jams.
With a 71C thermostat, on long highway drives 3K rpm it does not exceed 100C, and for bad hot traffic about 98C. So I say if the oil temp does not go above 100C, you can go for a 30wt ACEA A3/B4 oil.

I'm with edyvw on this one. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is a fantastic oil that is dual rated for petrol and diesel use. Personally, I would continue using it - just look up the VOA results that was posted here a while ago.

I've been using it in 55+ C weather with zero issues with sustained high speed driving in two modified applications, I would not think twice about 38 C. Only reason I cannot use it anymore is because the Mobil distributor stopped importing it.
frown.gif

Proxyon said:
There is pretty good evidence that Low-SAPS oil such as ESP will leave less deposits on valves then High-SAPS oil.

I have never seen any proof of that, only heard people say it. Do you have any sources for this good evidence? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm just truly interested.

Hi, folks.

Simple answer, just use what the manufacturer recommends in terms of oil spec, type and SAE grades. Plus 38c is not a hot summer, so unless your cars owners handbook says use an Xw40, a 5 or 10w30 should be good.
I would tend to favour using a full synthetic from a major oil company (Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, Penn Ultra or Liqui Moly Synthoil) in hot and dusty conditions, BUT I would not use a C2 or C3 unless your engine company insists that is correct. Acea A3/B4 has slightly more Zinc anti wear additive.

If you have to drive a lot in a hot dusty desert and tow a heavy trailer, then I would move up to a 15w40 full HC synthetic (I think only Amsoil make one), or change the oil every 3000 miles or 50 hours engine on time.

PS: Every major engine oil company has a web site with engine specific oil recommendations and it's a real good idea to use it as a cross check on the handbook.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: harrydog
Proxyon said:
There is pretty good evidence that Low-SAPS oil such as ESP will leave less deposits on valves then High-SAPS oil.

I have never seen any proof of that, only heard people say it. Do you have any sources for this good evidence? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, I'm just truly interested.

There is Lubrizol study that you can find on like 100 places here on BITOG. I put once same study here. No intentions to go through my files every time when someones says: I heard but I want evidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back