What to look for when house searching

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am causally looking to buy a second house and put my current one up for sale. I am looking to get into a single family home that is three bedroom, newer that is not completely out dated, good schools, ect. My current place is perfect for me but I see my current area and it is declining so I want to move away from that. I am trying to think ahead and I am going to need the extra space if I get married and have kids.

I would assume most of you are older and have had a experience in this. What features should I be looking for besides the obvious?

Gosh that's tough.

I guess I'd focus on the expensive stuff and let the inspector find the rest.

Age of roof (3-tab or architectural)
Age of furnace, AC compressor, etc. 80% or 95%
Age of water heater
Age of windows, vinyl, wood, etc.
Is plumbing galvanized or Copper
Sewer line clay, PVC, cleanouts? Lots of trees?

Any house in Lakes of the Four Seasons will meet all your needs.
grin.gif

LOL.

Look at the neighborhood too. Is it walkable? Are there safe green spaces to take the future kids to play? How far to stores/work/schools? Are there junk piles in front of the houses, or are things kept neat? Is there a HOA? What services are provided by the property taxes or HOA fees? How far to the nearest fire/police station?

A decent house in a great neighborhood is a better buy than a perfect house in a worse neighborhood, IMO. Likewise, a higher-tax area may provide more services that you and future family will use such as parks, plowing sidewalks, recycling/trash hauling, sports leagues, etc.

A house is a lot more than just the physical building. There's the community around it that needs to be considered.

If you're planning on staying long term, make sure the house has room for growth. If it's not quite what you want you can always add some sweat equity in the house, but make sure the house/area will support the added value.

I personally couldn't stand living in an area with an HOA. Make sure you understand the ramifications if you choose a home in an HOA controlled area.

Another factor is that you're single. Your future spouse may not like moving into a house that you already own-it may be a good idea to stay put until you are married. For her it may never feel like it's her home, and you could very well find yourself in a situation where you'll be selling it once you are married.

If your current house is "perfect" stay in it. When you get married you can find a new house together.

When you get a home inspector, make sure they are good and check the reference and training. Some can get their certificate online. Don’t just go along with what the realtor wants. The one we had didn’t notice the wiring that wasn’t to code, for example.

Another thing, if it was a model home, step back. They tend to be made the fastest and might have some flaws. We bought a former mode l home and even after 24 years, still finding flaws that probably would have been made if it had been a regular house.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If you're planning on staying long term, make sure the house has room for growth. If it's not quite what you want you can always add some sweat equity in the house, but make sure the house/area will support the added value.

I personally couldn't stand living in an area with an HOA. Make sure you understand the ramifications if you choose a home in an HOA controlled area.

Another factor is that you're single. Your future spouse may not like moving into a house that you already own-it may be a good idea to stay put until you are married. For her it may never feel like it's her home, and you could very well find yourself in a situation where you'll be selling it once you are married.

That is a very good point and I agree 100%. I don't have to move right now but kicking the idea around. I have these terrible neighbors that drive me crazy but you can have that anywhere.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
When you get a home inspector, make sure they are good and check the reference and training. Some can get their certificate online. Don’t just go along with what the realtor wants. The one we had didn’t notice the wiring that wasn’t to code, for example.

Another thing, if it was a model home, step back. They tend to be made the fastest and might have some flaws. We bought a former mode l home and even after 24 years, still finding flaws that probably would have been made if it had been a regular house.

Unless you hire a guy like Mike Holmes to build your house, most take shortcuts. subcontractors are usually in a rush to get it done and they cover up the flaws.

When you are looking for a house make sure you don't get one with Asbestos or mold problems. Those are the worst things to pay to have fixed.

Here's a good website for home inspections.

http://inspectapedia.com/

Last edited:
If you get married..and have kids.. that statement puts you into a different category.

Not to offend, but buying a house now for kids and a wife you dont have is like buying a minivan now for your future wife and kids...

On the flipside if you marry a woman with children already then sure you are on the right track.

IMHO you are putting the cart before the horse.. stay where u are and then look together for your forever home..if/when you do get married.

From a devils advocate point of view, sure buy a house before you get married and she will be less likely to get the house in a divorce..

Get the newest quality house you can afford so maintenance will be cheaper. Thing is, if you plan to be in that house for another 20-50 years, that same maintenance might come up by that time just as you can't afford it all as you hit retirement. It might be a wiser idea to buy a house every 10-20 years to keep ahead of having to do "aging" maintenance on roofs, foundations, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, chimney, paved or concrete driveway, skylights, septic and well if not city provided, windows, wall insulation, converion to aluminum siding someday, etc. You could easily spend 50% of the original cost of the home to essentially rebuild/replace/update everything at the 40-60 year point. Get into a nice 30 year old home to only have deal with constant repairs 20-25 years later.

Aging trees can be an issue, especially maples and oaks. A healthy 50-60 oak tree today can be a problem once it hits 75-85 years old. If you have lots of middle-aged trees around your house figure $1K-$3K to take each one down. I've done 6 so far to over $10,000.

I hate skylights. Figure they will eventually leak and cost $1K each over the years. Same comment for windows that just out from the house, more likely to leak.

Avoid homes with excessive white efflourescence/spalling/flaking on the foundation walls and the garage floor. While some might be normal over 30-50 years, it's a sign of water migration. And over time it weakens the walls and require you to resurface you garage floor. If you buy a home with good drainage, say sitting up on a hill, your water migration odds are reduced. If you're near the shore, a small brook, or close to a lake be very leery of this as a higher water table tends to stay for weeks or months at a time. If the foundation area was never properly prepped for drainage it might not even matter where the house is, water can get into the basement over time. Looks for signs of water migration.

Check the attic for signs of water entry/staining on the beams and chimney. Look for signs of mold in the bathroom shower or high up in the closet corners. A poorly insulated attic can allow moisture into the outer upper walls.

There is an advantage to a 30 year old house in that you can see how the foundation has held up. But other than that, the drawbacks are numerous. Do turn on the burner, AC, water pump and whatever heavy loads are available to ensure the lights don't dim as the loads are cycled. I'd be leery of additions (garage, porch, extra rooms) that were added on years layer by cheap contractors. Those tie in points are sources for water and bugs if they weren't properly done.

For an older house, you need to know the age of every system and when you'll be replacing it down the road. If your water has a pH of 6 or under, expect slow deterioration of your pipes, burner, and water heater over time. City water should have an adequate 7-8 pH. Green sulfate on copper pipes in an early sign of attack. Run the water pump and tank through a cycle. Make sure you get the stated capacity out of it before the pump kicks on again (4-20 gallons depending on tank size). If you're cycling on only 1-2 gallons that's a problem. Check the sinks for any seeping water, especially with staining on the wood underneath or in the basement below.

When my son and buddies did my roof in 2009 they were dropping pallets of shingles from their shoulders on to the roof. I didn't notice to a few years later than they cracked a number of beams in the attic. If you have gutters, makes sure they flow properly and don't have dams or moss and organics building up in them annually. Corners of gutters are prone to leakage especially when not hung right. Feel free checking them out to flow a few gallons to ensure nothing pools up. That will cost you hours of annual maintenance every year...or spend another $1K or more to rehang them all properly.

A lot of home inspectors will blow off a lot of these details as normal wear and tear. While they don't work for the realtors, they also want repeat recommendations from them. Get a 10 year old house and plan to be out by 30 years. Then downside into your "fresh" retirement home. I hired my own independent home imspector and he went along with the 3 layers of shingles on the roof. In fact, that roof was already leaking, though we didn't find out until 2009 when base wood had to be replaced in many areas. If a shingled house, find one with a single set. The double set is more than half-way to replacement.

I'd prefer to find a home with a chimney that was already modified to a wood stove and stainless steel metal flue ($1500-$2,00). You want some sort of winter back up if you lose all power. And an old drafty chimney is not very efficient. Ideally, one in the basement too to keep pipes from freezing if you live up north.

My house was built in 1960. The repairs started right around 1998 when the burner failed. Then came water pump, burner again in 2008 (2/3 under warranty), full new roof in 2009, concrete repairs in 2013-2014, 30+ yr old driveway is shot but I'm limping that through, copper piping on its last legs which means ripping out all the heaters and pipes soon, chimney being patched yearly but on its last legs, a porch foundation that needs to be replaced, garage floor needs resurfacing, electrical is under-sized at 100 amps, need to update kitchen and bathroom. 5 more trees to cut down ($10K). And the list goes on.

I would concentrate on selling, then rent or RV while looking. You may find a woman that comes with a 3bed 2bath.

Good point above about what you acquire before marriage and maybe keeping it. I don't know.

Houses 10 plus years old will be getting close to expensive repairs due to how things just don't last like they did 50 years ago.

I'd prefer to find a home with a chimney that was already modified to a wood stove and stainless steel metal flue ($1500-$2,00). You want some sort of winter back up if you lose all power. And an old drafty chimney is not very efficient. Ideally, one in the basement too to keep pipes from freezing if you live up north. A $50-$100 Chimney inspection could save you $1K-$2K down the road....inspect internally too. My home inspector didn't. In fact, he didn't even go on the roof....lol.

My house was built in 1960. The repairs started right around 1998 when the burner failed. Then came water pump, burner again in 2008 (2/3 under warranty), full new roof in 2009, concrete repairs in 2013-2014, 30+ yr old driveway is shot but I'm limping that through, copper piping on its last legs which means ripping out all the heaters and pipes soon, chimney being patched yearly but on its last legs at 55 years old, a porch foundation that needs to be replaced, garage floor needs resurfacing, electrical is under-sized at 100 amps, need to update kitchen and bathroom. 5 more trees to cut down ($10K). And the list goes on. For us, buying a 35 year old house was a mistake. And we did considerably consider leaving it in 2004 when housing prices were peaking and few of the current problems had shown up. That was the biggest mistake. The house has declined about 30% in value since since 2007 but that's still 50% more than we paid in 1995. My home starting having issues at 50-55 years old, not sure I buy into the "high quality" of these because they were built in the 1960's. There's also the risk of lead paint on all those under layers. Mitigating that someday could be another $5K-$10K.

And as others have mentioned, buy a home with a city/region that is growing for the next 10-30 years. If you buy in a declining region where jobs are leaving, your home price will likely decline in value...a double hit. Finding the right region and location is as important as the house itself.

Lessons I learned from buying a 100 year old house in NY.

I would get a house on a slab foundation without a basement. I prefer a one story house with a good roof.

Look for asbestos if the house is older, also any evidence of mold.

Other than that, foundation issues, general mechanics of the house, and overall efficiency.

I would avoid boiler heating if possible, and have a modern forced air HVAC system (cheaper to upkeep).

Avoid propane fuel at all costs, you want a house on natural gas. I prefer a gas stove as well.

I would get a house without a fire place, just an extra thing I would not use, and home insurer will probably charge extra due to the small risk.

Location is king. Also check the address to see what high speed internet is available, or cable providers.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

And as others have mentioned, buy a home with a city/region that is growing for the next 10-30 years. If you buy in a declining region where jobs are leaving, your home price will likely decline in value...a double hit. Finding the right region and location is as important as the house itself.

Thanks for two well-thought out responses! I'm hoping to move move to a smaller, less expensive digs in the next year or two, so it's appreciated.

An apartment. A house is like a millstone around your neck if you ever want or need to relocate...as well as maintaining it being a second (unpaid) job!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
An apartment. A house is like a millstone around your neck if you ever want or need to relocate...as well as maintaining it being a second (unpaid) job!
Not really. If you're upside down on a house you put zero down and couldn't afford, or bought on a bubble, or refinanced 2-3 times to pull out equity, you might be right. People that have bought a house they could afford and put a little money down in the last 6-7 years are doing good. Historically, selling a maintained house at market price usually isn't a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Lessons I learned from buying a 100 year old house in NY.

I would get a house on a slab foundation without a basement. I prefer a one story house with a good roof.

I would second the no basement recommendation. Depending on where you live, basements may or may not be common. I live in an area where many houses have basements, and because of the soil conditions almost every basement has issues after the house is a few decades old.

I wanted a basement when we bought our 90-year-old house, but now the basement is by far the thing I hate most about this house.

I would much rather have no basement and a separate tornado shelter.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice so far.

We've built one house and bought 4 others. All were in good areas (the most important point), each one met our needs at the time, and we could afford each one when we built/bought it. We've never flipped a house but only bought one when we made a city-city move. Transaction costs are too high and we don't need additional stress.

How far is it from work - in rush hour traffic? Noisy area? Funny smells? General look of the neighbourhood (pride of ownership or junky)?

In spite of my best efforts, every house has had a few surprises. Watch out for asbestos, aluminum wiring, and grey plastic piping - they're all big ticket items.

Much of the rest is personal preference and local. We like a south facing back yard, a basement, and a main floor master bedroom with a walk in closet and ensuite.

The house we just bought ticked most of our boxes, but needs quite a few updates (knew that when we bought it, at a price that made the updates affordable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back