Rotella T 15W-40 and 10W-30, why same pour point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my recent explorations of HDEO I was surprised to find that Shell states both grades of Rotella T have a pour point of -30C°. Yet, the 15W-40 is clearly a more viscous oil with a kinematic viscosity of 120 at 40°C vs 83 for 10W-30.

Shouldn't a less viscous oil freeze at a lower temperature?

The only thing I can think of is differing amounts of VII's with very similar base stock. I understand the higher pour point of conventional oil vs synthetic, as "dino" oil contains more long chain aliphatic hydrocarbons (wax) which solidifies at at a higher temperature than short chain ones. I assume 15W-40 requires more VII's with its 5 point higher spread than 10W-30?

I'm trying to increase my edjumacation of all things tribological, so any more in-depth explanations are much appreciated.

http://www.shell.ca/en/products-services...ll-rotella.html

(click on Download the Technical Data information (PDF) link on the right hand side of the page for Shell's specs.)

The pour point doesn't matter, CCS and MRV are what are relevant here with the 15w-xx labelled oil not qualifying for the 10w-xx designation.

Realistically, the 15w-xx oil has a pumpability limit of -25C, whilst the 10w-xx has one of -30C. The 15w-xx will hit the ceiling for cold cranking impact at -20C, the 10w-xx at -25C. The fact that the pour point coincides with the pumpability limit for the 10w-xx lubricant likely indicates that it is at this point that wax crystallization begins to occur significantly and the product will not pour below that point.

And you can get some 15w-40 examples with some pretty amazing pour points. That doesn't mean I'd want to use them in -40. Pour points might give some base stock hints, but don't read too much into the value.

I wish I could just leave the engine running all winter, nothing better than a defrosted, toasty vehicle in January, but I do have to shut it off from time to time.
smile.gif

-25°C is a regular occurrence here in Dec/Jan/Feb, -30° to -35°C occurs less often. It was unusual to not hit -30°C this winter. I was using Amsoil AME 15W-40 prior to my rebuild. Based on what I know now (thanks everyone in BITOG!) I'm going to run conventional 10W-30 this winter as I won't have my engine broken in before, then look at all the excellent syn and semi-syn options out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back