Helicopter hypothetical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always have ideas fly through my head that are in no way practical or possible but I am just curious. I realise this idea would be cost prohibitive. I have never flown a plane or even ridden in a small plane or helicopter. I have a wife and four kids and don't want to die in a helicopter crash.

Assuming i had several million in expendable income and unlimited free time, what would it cost and take for time to purchase a helicopter big enough for my family and get trained and ceritified to fly it? My parents live on a farm an hour drive away and my back yard it big enough for a helicopter pad. I work across town and all the stores are across town. Would it be possible to hop across town and land in the Walmart or menards parking lot or work?

I know some of this might not be possible or practical but it is an interesting thought.

Last edited:
Google Robinson Helicopter for info on prices. Just remember.. a fixed wing can be trimmed to fly itself, a rotary wing will go in five directions at once if you take your hands and feet off the controls. There are many fixed wing pilots who could never learn to fly a rotary wing. Some say you can train a monkey to fly a fixed wing.

Last edited:
Yeah but I can't land a fixed wing in my back yard and I would have to plant a runway on mom and dads farm. I am not that far from the airport. It just doesn't have the potential continence of a helicopter.

Again this is not something that will ever happen but just a random thought I had.

Around $15,000 or more to get a private pilot rotorcraft certificate from scratch. Most people get airplane, then do a rotorcraft add on for cost effectiveness. Then you'll need/should add an instrument rating. Probably another $15-20k more.

A decent R44 will run $300,000 and up. Anything with a turbine engine is 1 million and up which is what you would need to carry 5 pax, probably 10 mil is more realistic. Plus you'll need additional training on whatever make and model you purchase. This could get into the 30-40k range due to the expense of operating a turbine aircraft.

Insurance and maintenance about $30,000/year, more for a turbine.

Theoretically you can land an aircraft 'anywhere.' For Walmart and Menards, you would need the property owners' permission and make sure you could safely land at said places without violating any Federal Aviation Regulations(FARs).

Also, even if you stored the aircraft in your backyard, you'd have to have some means of getting fuel, which would probably mean flying to the nearest airport unless you have a fuel tank on your property.

You'll also need an FAA medical certificate, which isn't expensive but certain medical conditions and medications can preclude you from getting one. Taking antidepressants, having substance abuse problems, being diabetic, having any neurologic conditions or cancers are some examples. Having any convictions for drug possession is often a deal breaker, too.

Also, you said an hour drive to your parent's house. That's still going to be faster than flying. You're going to have to do several things before each flight: check weather, weight & balance and preflight inspection. By the time you got ready to crank up, you'd be halfway to your destination if you'd driven.

Minimum of 40 hours at the controls for training, and that would be if you do everything perfectly, and would allow you to fly in good weather and not for hire. $330+ per flight hour plus instructor.

A Robinson only seats 4 people max, so with 4 kids you're looking at a 6 place helicopter. Cost? Couple million average. Bell 407 is very popular and a new one'll run ya 2.7mil.
LINK

Then you have the cost of insurance, maintenance and hangaring which are significant.

I've talked with a few rotor guys so the rest of this post is "FWIW"....

You could land at WalMart, but my understanding is that for private property you should have permission, and perhaps someone on the ground to keep the area clear for you. Emergencies excepted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
The "Helicopter Ride" guys trailer them behind pickups. What does that say about cost to operate?

Saves wear and tear and less cycles on the aircraft. Many parts on helicopters are time limited and have to be replaced regardless of physical condition.

I know the R-44 for example has to completely overhauled every 2200 hours or 12 years. That's the whole aircraft, not just the engine.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Around $15,000 or more to get a private pilot rotorcraft certificate from scratch. Most people get airplane, then do a rotorcraft add on for cost effectiveness. Then you'll need/should add an instrument rating. Probably another $15-20k more.

A decent R44 will run $300,000 and up. Anything with a turbine engine is 1 million and up which is what you would need to carry 5 pax, probably 10 mil is more realistic. Plus you'll need additional training on whatever make and model you purchase. This could get into the 30-40k range due to the expense of operating a turbine aircraft.

Theoretically you can land an aircraft 'anywhere.' For Walmart and Menards, you would need the property owners' permission and make sure you could safely land at said places without violating any Federal Aviation Regulations(FARs).

Also, even if you stored the aircraft in your backyard, you'd have to have some means of getting fuel, which would probably mean flying to the nearest airport unless you have a fuel tank on your property.

You'll also need an FAA medical certificate, which isn't expensive but certain medical conditions and medications can preclude you from getting one. Taking antidepressants, having substance abuse problems, being diabetic, having any neurologic conditions or cancers are some examples. Having any convictions for drug possession is often a deal breaker, too.

Also, you said an hour drive to your parent's house. That's still going to be faster than flying. You're going to have to do several things before each flight: check weather, weight & balance and preflight inspection. By the time you got ready to crank up, you'd be halfway to your destination if you'd driven.

That's gotta be the most thorough - logic packed answer I've ever read on this board. Well done.
thumbsup2.gif

Robinsons have their own section in the FAA FAR's for a reason. Consider another aircraft.

Landing at a Walmart or where ever you want??? Only for emergency situations obviously. Read the FAA FAR's and you will enlighten yourself.

2 years ago I spent 45 minutes in a Robinson R 44 the performance was outstanding but fantasy would be a Bell 207 has really good performanceor even better yet a Huey The teter or semi ridge rotor is not as fanncy as others but they are simple and the rotor beat is wonderful for shorter rides. But then I am a wild and crazy so to impress the neighbors, a retired airline pilot and a Huey pilot for Cal Fire the Messerschmitt Boelkow has a super advanced rotor design allows spirited flight

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I always have ideas fly through my head that are in no way practical or possible but I am just curious. I realise this idea would be cost prohibitive. I have never flown a plane or even ridden in a small plane or helicopter. I have a wife and four kids and don't want to die in a helicopter crash.

Assuming i had several million in expendable income and unlimited free time, what would it cost and take for time to purchase a helicopter big enough for my family and get trained and ceritified to fly it? My parents live on a farm an hour drive away and my back yard it big enough for a helicopter pad. I work across town and all the stores are across town. Would it be possible to hop across town and land in the Walmart or menards parking lot or work?

I know some of this might not be possible or practical but it is an interesting thought.

If you have to ask what the price is you can't afford it..

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That's gotta be the most thorough - logic packed answer I've ever read on this board. Well done.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, I've talked more than a few people out purchasing aircraft.

Thank you. I knew it wouldn't be practical but thank you for endulging me. I couldn't even get the health certificate.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: jhellwig

If you have to ask what the price is you can't afford it..

I know. That is why this is a hypothetical.

This is one of those things that goes back to the 50s and 60s. Those old showes and magazines that romanced flying and we would all be doing what I described at one point in the future is in no way possible. Actually we were supposed to be past flying everywhere and living in outer space by now.

Imagine if everybody started doing that.Now there would be collisions in the sky rather than on roadways.And the ground isn't so forgiving when you fall toward it at 60mph vs already being on it.Nope...I'm not going up...anytime soon.Just google Mizar Pinto and see what happened to those 2 guys...

Helo's are way cool, but so maintenance intensive. Slightly off topic since it's a 2 place homebuilt but:

http://www.rotorway.com/

$84K gets you in with engine and about everything, but....

Long time ago I used to think I wanted a Rotorway Exec, back when it was the model 90 (Exec 90). Now called the A600 Talon. Haven't looked at them recently, supposedly there is less maintenance than the more recent Exec 162F and original Exec 90's as well as more refinements but a 'copter is still a 'copter and upkeep will always be much more time and expense than a fixed wing with equivalent useful load.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If I were dripping with money I would totally do this. But I would insist on a Bell 222 painted just like Airwolf.

That would be awesome!

Airwolf1.jpg

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Imagine if everybody started doing that.Now there would be collisions in the sky rather than on roadways

It will never happen. Ever. It takes a pretty high degree of competence to safely fly an aircraft especially a helo. I would conservatively estimate that 40% of drivers on the road can barely operate a vehicle, let alone any aircraft.

PLUS English proficiency is required for any airman certificate. That alone would preclude half of the population in my neck of the woods.

If you get some life insurance they ask you if you have a private pilots license. There's also a Robinson R22 which is a two seater compared to the larger R44. I flew on an R22 which went down a few months after I was on it. No survivors, it hit a power line. It seemed to have recovered after the hit then after a few seconds, straight down. Left two children behind.

You can take an inexpensive intro flight lesson on both a helicopter and a fixed wing. I've done both and are very different from each other.

Talking to a pilot of a Bell 222(Lifeflight) said the smaller, cheap helicopters are like flying lawnmowers. I forget if he said that about the Robinsons or the experimental Rotorway. Which is why they're so cheap, since they're considered experimental aircraft. They sell them as a kit and are not assembled by the company. Kind of like a kit car but a flying version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back