Circumferential Tread Crack on Low Profile RFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
These were OE fir on my 2011 BMW 135i, delivered July, 2010. So nearly six years old. Dunlop replaced one on warranty for a big sidewall bulge, I do see another sidewall bulge on another.

15k miles, tread nearly 80%, so wearing well since I try not to drive like an idiot, though i do wring out the car when I feel like it (and its good and hot).

Look at this:

D47FEEE9-E25B-41AA-8FA0-E101A0F7845B_zpseseh6fnv.jpg

24CFBEF8-30A4-4587-9DF8-441FC761BD0A_zpsvrisbnsp.jpg

D3749788-D36C-43F9-95E6-2DC1D119B82C_zpsn2elfmv1.jpg

These are Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST in 245/35R-18, Y rated.

The other rear tire has the same crack in the same place, except its continuous nearly all the way around. It also has a sidewall bulge. The tire I took a picture of also looks like it almost has a bulge in the tread - not a wear artifact, a higher spot that flexes with the tread tha is the same height all around.

Im a little worried running on these tires. Admittedly, the car gets light use which is why it only has 15k miles, but many of the miles are on surface roads that have frost heaves, which Im guessing is why there's sidewall bulges (besides bad design). Because of the low profile, Im anal about keeping the pressure at the sidewall rating, which IIRC is 39/41 or 45.

Thoughts? Emergent situation or can I wait until the next Michelin deal?

I think I want Pilot Super Sport non-RFT, right?

B271700E-8D8C-476F-8D73-B647E4DD2B9D_zpsbfeddcn5.jpg

Thanks!

Irrespective of the low mileage, I would also be uncomfortable running on those tires.

For me it would be a simple solution: Discomfort = replacement.

Enjoy your new tires ... and peace of mind
cheers3.gif

At not quite six years from getting put into service, the tires are by no means "old". I agree that it is not necessarily mileage, but six years, even being conservative, is only barely starting to touch "think about replacement" range.

If it weren't for the cracks, Id probably still be thinking about going to a non-rft for the better handling/ride characteristics (especially given the frost heaves on some surface roads), but when I put PSS on here, Id not be concerned with six years (unless theyre cracking too
wink.gif
).

I would not have confidence in those tires. I'd replace them.

BTW, I replaced the RFTs on my wife's 2011 328i with non-RFTs. Ride improvement was marked. RFTs are HEAVY. The Continental Extreme Contact DWs I put on were something like 5 pounds lighter per tire. This was noticeable as well.

The 328i has no room for a spare. That could be a problem. I bought the tire inflater/sealer kit that comes with the M3s. That would not help me with serious tire damage, however (r.g. sidewall cut). To me the cost/benefit is worth it, at least I think that now because we have not had a flat. Last flat I had was 15 (?) years ago.

Scott

Bulges, replaced some already, treads cracked, 6+ years old and 15k on Jersey roads.

Replace - your driving style dictates tires replaced by time, not miles.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Bulges, replaced some already, treads cracked, 6+ years old and 15k on Jersey roads.

Again, I'm not sure there's objective evidence to justify this. I get 50-100k miles per set of tires on the same roads on lots of other cars, and age out good tires at 7-10k mikes, based upon UV exposure, which can have >>50% and otherwise look great.

I don't agree that all tires should be thrown out because of 6 years. I think these tires are poor in design, whether because they're RFT, they're really low profile (35 aspect ratio), etc. Yes, frost heaves in roads don't help, but I'm not sure they're an end all be all.

These tires have lost confidence, I'm just saying Im not convinced time only at 5-6 years is justified on all tires as a rule because of this set. Time will tell though!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Again, I'm not sure there's objective evidence to justify this. I get 50-100k miles per set of tires on the same roads on lots of other cars, and age out good tires at 7-10k mikes, based upon UV exposure, which can have >>50% and otherwise look great.

I don't agree that all tires should be thrown out because of 6 years. I think these tires are poor in design, whether because they're RFT, they're really low profile (35 aspect ratio), etc. Yes, frost heaves in roads don't help, but I'm not sure they're an end all be all.

These tires have lost confidence, I'm just saying Im not convinced time only at 5-6 years is justified on all tires as a rule because of this set. Time will tell though!

I totally agree that not all tires should be canned at 6 years -- just these
smile.gif
because of all the bulges and other issues you've had with them.

Yeah... It will be interesting to see how the PSS I'm looking at will fare..

Thanks!

I would not hesitate to replace any questionable tire. Since your car is capable of impressive performance you need the BEST tires.

And that would be the PSS's you mentioned...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Thanks!

I would not hesitate to replace any questionable tire. Since your car is capable of impressive performance you need the BEST tires.

And that would be the PSS's you mentioned...

Agreed 100%
thumbsup2.gif
Ditch the RFT garbage and put on some PSS's. The car will ride better, handle better and have greater traction. They are just a far, FAR better tire.

200 miles into the PSS. Separate review to come at about 500 miles, occurring this weekend...

Sidewall bulges should mean replacement ASAP, especially if you have cracking like that running around the tread. Could possibly also mean damaged belts in the tire.

With cracks that big I would personally replace them. I don't mind alittle cracking on the rubber but when it looks deep I usually junk the tires. With that being said I drove my Subaru with 8 year old dry rotted Potenzas up to 100 MPH with no issues(I didn't know they were because it was such a small patch of tread).

Last edited:
200 miles into the PSS. Separate review to come at about 500 miles, occurring this weekend...

Subscribed.

Not that it matters now, but I wonder how well a runflat tire handles when it goes flat? I'd assume in a straight line almost nothing happens, but if you are zipping around a corner? Say an outside rear goes, instant crash or likely recoverable?

^^^Based on my experience it is simply a change, nothing catastrophic. The handling can get a bit looser, but nothing unsafe.

Some drivers do not notice it. But many modern cars immediately bring it to your attention via TPMS.

I am happy another high performance car finally got the good rubber!

I had PSS for 25K on VW CC.
It is by far the best tire I ever had on vehicle!
Now, that is bold statement since I drove from Tigar (Serbian tire) on Zastava 101 (predecessor of Yugo) to Michelin PSS.
PSS offers what you expect, extremely sticky tire! However, this is where I was impressed:
1. Structure! Colorado Springs has some of the worst roads in the U.S. (trust me worse then NYC, Chicago etc. I drove all of them). Kevlar reinforced structure regardless potholes, nails (one tire had 3 nails since I bought house in brand new development, so lot's of construction), they were still very easy to balance.
2. Wearing. They wear out fast, as you would expect form extreme performance tire. However, for whatever reason they are not loosing hydroplaning resistance as you would expect. It amazed me every time when I would hit pile of water and they were 4/32.

If I still had some sporty car, that would be ALWAYS tire of my choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back