Fluid syringe that lasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I don't have to do diff/gear fluids all that often, but when I do, I like to use a big fluid syringe.

Problem is, they last one or two uses and then are shot. Not because of use, but seal decomposition. They'll still suck up fluid but will leak it out the plunger end and make a mess.

I've generally just bought cheap parts store ones. Is there something better?

I really don't like those soap pump type ones, I prefer the syringes...

Thanks!

Back in the day we would have used a ground-glass syringe but there are all polyethylene syringes now that don't have a rubber plunger. Those should not be affected by any typical automotive fluid.

If they don't have a rubber plunger, what do they have?

I've seen one by minivan that looks like it might be that...

I usually go to Farm & Fleet stores, somewhere where they sell veterinary supplies, and I can buy syringes off the shelf and not be treated with suspicion during the purchase.

I use small syringes to pull samples of PS and brake fluid so I can visually compare them to new fluid and/or some relatively new samples I have for reference.

I use equestrian syringes to extract oil samples.

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Acres-Sur...strian+syringes

I'm not looking to extract samples here. Rather to refill MTs and differentials with 1-2 qt of fluid.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If they don't have a rubber plunger, what do they have?

I've seen one by minivan that looks like it might be that...

It just has a polyethylene flap at the end of the plunger that works as a seal.

The diff oil I buy has a tip you cut depending on the flow you want. I buy 3/8" or so ID clear tubing and cut to whatever length works. No pumping, just squeezing..........

I'm not looking to extract samples here. Rather to refill MTs and differentials with 1-2 qt of fluid.

Easiest I've found is a funnel and about 4' of clear plastic tubing. To do the diff, I raised the car on a low lift, I put my floor jack beside the back end and used the jack handle as an impromptu stand. I used a bit of bailing wire to hang the funnel from the top of the handle, and then I ran the hose down from the funnel through the wheel well to the fill plug opening. If it doesn't want to stay put, a little duct tape works wonders. Pour a bit at a time, watch underneath, and when it overflows, you're done. The same trick works for a manual transmission - you just go down through the engine bay.

Last edited:

Actually, that isn't the easiest... The easiest takes some setting up, but I've done it on my last two track cars for changing the MT oil.

I've got a Mityvac 6400 fluid dispenser, and I've installed a Stahlbus drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox. Then I got the necessary parts to connect the Mityvac (which has a quick connect fitting) to the Stahlbus drain fitting. Oil change goes like this:

- take the dust cover off the drain fitting on the transmission. Put the drain hose into a suitable container (I use a one-gallon gas can) and then plug the drain hose into the fitting on the transmission. This won't drain a Ford transmission - it's airtight until you remove the fill plug. So, remove the fill plug and drain the transmission. No mess.

- When the transmission is empty, plug the drain hose into the Mityvac, pump the Mityvac up and fill the transmission from the bottom until oil starts to drip out of the fill plug. Shut off the Mityvac, put the fill plug back in, unplug the Stahbus fitting and put the dust cover back on.

It takes about 10 minutes.

What about a suction gun (such as this Lumax)? Sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

FWIW I've been using one, forget the brand, for a couple years now. Doesn't seem frequent use but its been using with ATF, PS, DOT3/4, and who knows what else all without fail.

Originally Posted By: vitez
I've used dollar store turkey basters if I didn't have a proper suction gun, I kid you not. Use 'em and chuck 'em.

+1 on turkey basters. Not all that complicated.

Originally Posted By: buck91
What about a suction gun (such as this Lumax)? Sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

That's what I use, too. I'm not sure if it's that actual brand, of course, but it is the same thing. I've got one that works as a transfer pump, with two hoses, and one that I use to refill differentials and the like, with one hose.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: buck91

That's what I use, too. I'm not sure if it's that actual brand, of course, but it is the same thing. I've got one that works as a transfer pump, with two hoses, and one that I use to refill differentials and the like, with one hose.

Thats what Ive used, and after about five years and two fluid services, the thing won't hold fluid and leaks out the back.

For $10, I guess you can't ask for much, but its the hassle and time to go get another that is the value proposition here. Id rather have something quality that I could count on.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Originally Posted By: vitez
I've used dollar store turkey basters if I didn't have a proper suction gun, I kid you not. Use 'em and chuck 'em.

+1 on turkey basters. Not all that complicated.

That would take a lot of basting to get 1-2 quarts into something...

I've used suction pumps in the past but I'm planning on buying a Motive 1740 1.5 gallon Transfer Pump for filling differential and transmission fluid so I don't have to re-fill in between transfers.

http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-17...e+power+bleeder

I also have a Mityvac MVA6851 Fluid Extractor. You can easily take it apart for cleaning.

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MVA6851-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B00MPQ8RBG/ref=pd_sim_263_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=41nEJ9oolVL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR122%2C160_&refRID=1RYY15YZK9SKHH8RB21Q

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back