Timing Chain Cover - Coolant Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Ford Ranger 133,000 miles
V6, 3 Liter

5 years ago, I had a coolant leak behind the Timing Chain Cover.
Had it repaired at the Dealer (yea, I know).
It was to much work for me to handle.
I believe that right after that repair it was still (slowly) leaking, but in a different area.
I added some 'dye' and an Indy Mech could not locate it, nor myself.

Fast forward 5 years (today) and I have coolant leaking on the ground.
Reservoir was down 3/4" over Winter. Not a big leak.
I can now clearly see it's leaking around the Timing Chain Cover (again).
I figure the Dealership did poor quality work.

I want to get it fixed at a Indy Mech (I believe is reputable).
Probably a $950. repair cost - OUCH

My concerns: Which I will discuss with Indy Mech.

1) Will they just rely on another Paper Gasket or would it be better to use a Silicone type gasket maker in a tube (Permatex brand) ? ? ?
I myself was impressed using Permatex Ultra Black on the Diff Cover.

2) If the aluminum cover is corroded, what will they do.
A new OEM Cover is $200. on E-Bay
A Dorman Cover is $140. on E-Bay
If there is any corrosion, a Paper Gasket would be useless, would they then just use a Permatex product ? ? ?

3) If any coolant is added, make sure it meets Ford spec.

I am very disappointed in the work the Dealer did and I want to get this fixed correctly.
I do not want to be spending $1,000 every 5 years.

Later today I will check some Ford Ranger Forums.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thank you.

I'm a big fan of Permatex, and would use it along with the best gasket I could find.

Dunno about OEM vs Dorman, but definitely would not buy auto parts on Ebay, there's been too many fakes and as you said, repeating this job every 5 years....

Agree with matching coolant to what's in there.

Last edited:
I cant tell you how they will do the job only how I would do it after looking at it, there are just too many variables and options.
If there is a very minor corrosion or scratches from a previously botched job I might have the machine shop throw it on the belt sander (not a had held one used by DIY) and take a few thousands off then check it for flatness.

If its flat and has a nice finish I may not even use a gasket but an anaerobic sealer like Permatex 51531, this provides a very long life and reliable seal.
Given the location and size of the leak IMO this makes it a perfect candidate for bars Leak gold or GM tabs, same thing. It is definitely worth a shot.

This is a ginger rot based product that only hardens when the soaked particles are exposed to air. It will not clog anything or cause other issues in the system, it just circulates harmlessly until it finds a leak.
The repair is as for all intents and purposes permanent in a leak of this type as opposed to a rotten core.
You can get these almost anywhere or at any GM dealer under the delco brand, just crush them and put them in radiator not the overflow bottle, top off and drive it. The leak should stop in a short time.
BTW Subaru OE sealer and conditioner is also a ginger root formula available at any Subaru dealer.

http://www.amazon.com/Bars-Leaks-HDC-Radiator-Tablet/dp/B000KKND3Q

Very common on these engines. I have done this repair. RTV Black is your friend. I cleaned the cover and used a thin layer of RTV around the coolant holes, block. Then the gasket. A thin layer of RTV on the cover. This provides a permanent repair. I installed new water pump and all makes and models coolant. Zero leaks. Gasket set.. Fel-Pro with the new front seal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
This is a ginger rot based product that only hardens when the soaked particles are exposed to air. It will not clog anything or cause other issues in the system, it just circulates harmlessly until it finds a leak.

The repair is as for all intents and purposes permanent in a leak of this type as opposed to a rotten core.
You can get these almost anywhere or at any GM dealer under the delco brand, just crush them and put them in radiator not the overflow bottle, top off and drive it. The leak should stop in a short time.
BTW Subaru OE sealer and conditioner is also a ginger root formula available at any Subaru dealer.

http://www.amazon.com/Bars-Leaks-HDC-Radiator-Tablet/dp/B000KKND3Q

I have had good luck with the tabs over the years.

I just found out about that Subaru sealer recently, and what I read it is actually Holts Radweld. Notice the Subaru bottle and Holts are the same.

https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/2015/02/27/radweld-work/

http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-SOA635071-C...eywords=radweld

Yep its by Holts but premixed with water. Works as good as the others, it was OE in every Subaru and the tabs were OE on Cadillac N* engines.
Note none of these applications reported any sort of clogging issues in either the radiator or heater core. Ginger root based is the safest sealer there is.

I remember someone on here used to post that those tabs were dropped in every GM vehicle on the line years ago.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I remember someone on here used to post that those tabs were dropped in every GM vehicle on the line years ago.

I never heard that only the Cadillac North Stars but maybe?

NO to tabs.
The leaks gets steadily worse. I followed a write up or maybe a Youtube video. Several of the bolts require sealant. The tip I was given was to use RTV to make the job permanent otherwise I would be doing it again in a few years.

Ginger root has proven itself with this sort of leaks, gaskets and thread leaks. Its harmless to the system and even if it doesn't seal it permanently it may a least buy some time.
Over $900 is a lot of wood not to take a chance.

49.gif

Just a little follow up on the Holts/Subaru sealer/conditioner.

Sprang a radiator leak today on my Oldsmobile. It was coming from a crimp looked like to me. Instead of putting the tabs in, I stopped by my local Subaru parts department, and walked out the door with a bottle of the Subaru conditioner for $2.07. They said one bottle is enough.

Put it in my radiator, and drove about 5 miles to one of my favorite Shell stations to get some gas, and the leak had already stopped. Excellent stuff!

On the back of the bottle, it does say that it is made by Holts in England for Subaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back