How Often Does TOYOTA Produce a Lemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
There's nothing either magical or horrible about Toyota. They're just a big mass-market carmaker like all the others, with a better propaganda/advertising machine than most.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Sometimes Toyota does produce Lemons. My neighbor had an 84 Toyota Cresida and I had the 85 Toyota Cresida. Both were Lemons. The micro switches in the power door locks were trash and the alarms were constantly going off at random. You could not buy the switches and the solenoids were almost $400 each. Finally I unplugged the alarm module and left it in the glove box. His had a head gasket issue at about 68000 miles. Mine blew a transmission at 55000 miles. Neither cruise control worked correctly. In hilly country the transmission would downshift and never up shift until you disengaged the cruise control. Then at 68000 mine developed either a cracked head or a head gasket problem. At this point I decided to put a couple cans of Barrs in the radiator and traded it for a used Chevy Corsica. The Cosica was faster, got better gas mileage and was cheaper and easier to fix. When I wore that one out, I found a Chevy Cavalier. That one was the epitome of reliability. Later my neighbor had 2 Corollas. One inherited the cruise control issue from the Cresidas and the other one had issues that should not have occurred. And yet the Seqouia and Tundras have a fantastic V8. I think you have to pick make and models carefully.

Last edited:
I bought a brand spanking new 95 Lexus LS 400 which was not legally a lemon but but clearly a lemon in my eyes. One nagging little problem after another. Sold it at 35k miles.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
"an occasional model year part recall".

My wife's 2006 Avalon had a VVT oil line burst the first week we owned it. It's a very common problem with this generation Avalon. The dealership towed it and the rubber line was replaced with a hard line. Toyota will fix the burst VVT line free if a customer complains, but has yet to issue a recall. It has had several recalls, the infamous 'accelerator hanging at full throttle' being only one.

They did have a replacement campaign for the oil line on the 2GRFE. Did you buy it new?

I forgot about this one. My neighbor had a Toyota Previa minivan. I do not remember the year but I do remember the problem.

They took it to Disney World one year and when the engine was hot it would not start. By the time they got back, the engine would not start unless it was stone cold.

The local Toyota dealership started down through the decision tree to triage this lemon of a vehicle. First it was fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs, then injectors and finally when they wanted $1500 plus for the ECM my neighbor started quizzing me. I said well when was the last time anyone checked compression on this lemon. It only takes 20 minutes max and since it is a minivan, the mechanic can probably operate the key switch and hold the compression gauge at the same time.

Long story short, they found 6 of 8 lifters would not pump up. It was the first year Toyota put hydraulic valve lifters in the engine destined for the minivan. They were afraid the mechanics would get the interior dirty when they were doing valve adjustments. Otherwise this was a bullet proof Tacoma engine.

The warranty had already expired so the repairs were on him.

This vehicle should have been recalled.

So without question, sometimes Toyota makes a lemon.

Toyota is not the only one to make lemons.

Remember the Ford Taurus with a 4 cylinder engine. I think Oldsmobile did the same thing with a Quad Four in the Cutlass Supreme. Uh, what were they thinking.

What is interesting is none of these made the Times The 50 Worst Cars of All Time list.

The 50 Worst Cars of All Time

100_per_Kent asked if both tail lights fell out of my 2009 Silverado:

No Only one. Ironically, it Fell out at a bump in the road in front of the Dealership no less! It appeared to me that the self-tapping SM screw was over torqued and likely stripped ot the punched slot it was to align with. Was it builtduring another UAW contract period of discontent? At least it was assembled without pride at a factory in my birth-state of Indiana, U.S.A.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GenSan
Allow me to lead you in the right direction and come to your own unbiased conclusions.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-us-vehicle-dependability-study-vds

Go GM!

Quote:
General Motors Receives Eight Segment Awards; Toyota Motor Corporation Receives Six - GM models receiving an award include the Buick Encore; Buick LaCrosse; Buick Verano; Chevrolet Camaro; Chevrolet Equinox; Chevrolet Malibu; Chevrolet Silverado HD; and GMC Yukon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back