No wonder Used Car Parts are getting Harder to fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
No wonder Used Car Parts are getting Harder to find
smile.gif

http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=c83358ee7d5c

Anybody remember our glorious president's cash for clunkers program back in 2009?

Do a YouTube search of dealerships using the sodium silicate in a poor car's dry sump and it'll make you pretty sad. Many of them were hardly clunkers IMO.

When they were at the junkyard, you weren't allowed to pull any engine parts either. Perhaps it was the entire drivetrain? I cant remember.

Last edited:
Once the vehicles were purchased,they were the "property" of the Feds (as the dealer would be paid for the rebate later by the Feds) and by law they had to go to the scrappers for disposal.If someone did something else to them...well...heaven help them with the wrath of Obama...

I killed quite a few engines during cash for clunkers. That was a sweet deal for the salvage yards. The program paid them to take a vehicle. Then they could sell parts off of it as well.

That shredder was slower than some I have seen. They are supposed to recycle cars but parting out the car first would be more profitable and better recycling.

18.gif

In seriousness I've driven junkers for 15 years and with chinese parts mail order I haven't felt the need to go junkyarding lately. I got a new starter for my f150 for like $27 shipped.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: olddognewtrks
Watch it from about 2:50-valve gear is very clean. Wonder what oil he was using!

LOL I noticed that too. I wonder what sent that car to crusher.
I thought the process was a little faster.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
That shredder was slower than some I have seen.
At the very beginning, watch the guy walking in front of the truck in the lower left-hand corner. He looks really slow, too...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
18.gif

In seriousness I've driven junkers for 15 years and with chinese parts mail order I haven't felt the need to go junkyarding lately. I got a new starter for my f150 for like $27 shipped.
frown.gif

If you look at the prices that PnP's charge now it isn't worth it and a complete waste of time. Unless there's some hard to find part. I remember the day when it was cheap and worth it!

Originally Posted By: spk2000
That shredder was slower than some I have seen. They are supposed to recycle cars but parting out the car first would be more profitable and better recycling.

The video was slowed down.

BTW, that camshaft assembly was the last to go and didn't seem to want to break up at first.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Originally Posted By: eljefino
18.gif

frown.gif

If you look at the prices that PnP's charge now it isn't worth it and a complete waste of time. Unless there's some hard to find part. I remember the day when it was cheap and worth it!

Went to our local PnP today. All of the cars looked like they were out of the Bosnia conflict, and prices keep getting higher. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back