05 F-150 5.4 AMSOIL ASM 0w-20 10,100

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a friend truck that I change the oil on. He wanted to go 10k on oil changes. Thought I would pull a sample and see how it went. This is running an EaO11 filter.

Code:
You just pick up this F-150? If you did, we'd say you know how to pick 'em. Averages for the 24-valve 5.4L Ford

are based on oil run about 5,800 miles, but a longer run didn't bring about any poor wear in this engine. It's normal to

see iron read higher after longer runs, and it's actually better than average when you take miles on the oil into account.

This fill of Amsoil showed additive left at the end of the run with a TBN of 2.3. A trace of fuel is harmless and won't do

any harm. Running the next fill up to 12,000 miles would be fine based on these results. Nice pick-up!

OIL ASM 0w-20

MILES IN USE 10,100

MILES 100,939

SAMPLE TAKEN 3/29/16

ALUMINUM 6

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 25

COPPER 2

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 147

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 54

SILICON 12

SODIUM 9

CALCIUM 3551

MAGNESIUM 31

PHOSPHORUS 610

ZINC 692

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2

WATER 0.0

FLASHPOINT ºF 385

SUS VIS 210ºF 55.8

cSt @ 212ºF 9.02

Fuel% TR

Antifreeze% 0

TBN 2.3

Good to know, and thanks for posting. I just bought a case of ASM for a new to me 2013 Dodge Dart 2.0L. I was waffling between 5W-20 and 0W-20 but I've had good success with Amsoil's signature series PCMO so I went with ASM.

Would this pick-up be considered severe or normal service by Amsoil? It would be interesting to keep extending the OCI until you hit Amsoil's recommended limit and see if UOA confirms their recommendation.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Another good report for Amsoil.

Fixed it for you.

(also, your post was spot on)

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
+1

Take a look at this excellent report.....all you "heavy oils protect better" people.

I'll continue to use 0w20.....

Excellent report for an engine running it's specified oil weight** a 20 weight wouldn't do so well in say a Jeep 4.0!

Nice report except it couldn't had been a 0w-20 ASM oil which has 46.6 @ SUS VIS 210ºF and 8.7 cSt @ 212ºF when brand new. Viscosities on this report are 55.8 and 9.02 respectively after the claimed 10,100 miles run.

Perhaps friend wasn't truthful about 10,100 miles either.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Nice report except it couldn't had been a 0w-20 ASM oil which has 46.6 @ SUS VIS 210ºF and 8.7 cSt @ 212ºF when brand new. Viscosities on this report are 55.8 and 9.02 respectively after the claimed 10,100 miles run.

...it was .3cst thicker so it couldnt be ASM...? What?
You know the PDS values are a general number and batch variations are a thing?

Then, there is a report recently of oil that Blackstone tested as 6.25cst and a retest was requested which turned out as 6.88cSt.

For Amsoil SSO (which I assume it be based upon 0W-20 and ASM), I do not think it is that spectacular after only 10K miles. SSO is a 25K oil in normal service and 15K in severe service. I have had better UOAs with MS5K and M1 in the same engine (5.4L, but later model). A TBN of only 2.3 after 10K for an oil that starts out with an 11.8 TBN is not anything to write home about plus iron and aluminum are higher than I saw even when towing 8-9K. FTW - I use Amsoil products (gear oil and ATF) so I am not bashing the oil, just stating there are other oils that will perform better in that engine for less money.

01.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

...it was .3cst thicker so it couldnt be ASM...? What?
You know the PDS values are a general number and batch variations are a thing?

Then, there is a report recently of oil that Blackstone tested as 6.25cst and a retest was requested which turned out as 6.88cSt.

6.88cSt is still 1.8cSt below VO viscosity. What's your point?

Another explanation is that the oil had thickened with use. That happens due to oxidation, which would mean base oil isn't that good as claimed to be. Not long ago I pointed out on here, with supporting links, that Amsoil's Signature Series MDSD lists base oil CAS# that belongs to Group III oils. Within two weeks Amsoil updated their MDSD and now it doesn't mention any CAS number at all.

Here is more on thickening and oxidation:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1028/oxidation-lubricant

6.88cSt is still 1.8cSt below VO viscosity. What's your point?

You misunderstood me. The oil that I was referring to was Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 and I only brought it up to illustrate that variation between tests is too large to make a call like the one you are trying to make. The exact same oil from the same container was tested twice and yielded a 10% difference. So your ".3cst off" is well within that margin.

Another explanation is that the oil had thickened with use. That happens due to oxidation, which would mean base oil isn't that good as claimed to be. Not long ago I pointed out on here, with supporting links, that Amsoil's Signature Series MDSD lists base oil CAS# that belongs to Group III oils. Within two weeks Amsoil updated their MDSD and now it doesn't mention any CAS number at all.

Here is more on thickening and oxidation:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1028/oxidation-lubricant

Go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back