Magnatec 5W30, 4983mi, 70k, '11 Tundra 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
My third UOA on my 2011 Tundra 5.7L, 3URFE, with 70k miles.
Oil tested was Castrol Magnatec 5W30 with Toyota filter, and just shy of 5k miles. I did the standard 5k so I could have a baseline to compare the extended OCIs in the future.

I misplaced my sample bottle during the drain, so the sample I collected probably started during the last quarter of the drain.
shocked.gif

I am not sure if that would explain the jump in the Tin?
Also, the Aluminum crept up above the universal average... I will keep an eye on those for the next UOA.

The Magnatec seemed to have excellent TBN retention especially compared to the Edge 5W20 from the previous fill..

With the Magnatec 5W30 and I haven't noticed a drop in MPG. It has definitely help to quiet down the engine noise some.

I refilled with Magnatec 5W30 and I am currently planning on running it to 7-7.5k OCI.
8LZSTdg.png

Here is the post for my previous UOA.
Previous UOA

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Stick with 5 K intervals if you use your truck for truck stuff.

Yeah, currently I am commuting 120 miles a day across Houston, so sadly it doesn't get much "truck" usage.
I've already put 15k on it since October.
I plan to adjust accordingly if my tow/hauling percentage increases.

Great choice...numbers prove it.my dad runs this in his nissan frontier and loves it....

Last edited:
Ridiculously low iron went even lower! There was a guy with a Ford Ecoboost that had low iron readings go even lower with this stuff too.

That's it. I'm putting this stuff in my truck now. It's a weekend short tripper that sounds like a good candidate for this stuff.

Yeah, it looks like a great candidate and you can't beat the Amazon Subscribe & Save price! 5qt jug for under $16 w/o tax.

I was really surprised at the remaining Zinc level!
Currently, my only concern is the slight uptick in the Aluminum and Tin, but I don't think that may be directly related to the brand and flavor of oil.

You can't split hairs that close, 1 or 2ppm of anything is irrelevant. That could have even been in the virgin oil.

I highly doubt the zinc is quite that high either, every so often Blackstone seems to get over inflated readings and it appears they did so here. Over 1000 ppm would not make SN and I'm pretty sure Castrol has a handle on that.

I believe API SN only limits phosphorus. But the amount of P and Zn are related somewhat.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
I believe API SN only limits phosphorus. But the amount of P and Zn are related somewhat.

P and Zn are both elements in the ZDDP molecule.
It's P that contributes the AW EP boundary protection on ferrous metals.

Yes this is a good UOA although there is obviously no lubrication advantage over the 20 grade oils run previously.
I'd therefore stick to the specified 0W-20 grade in future for the performance advantages.

Originally Posted By: 74Scout

The Magnatec seemed to have excellent TBN retention especially compared to the Edge 5W20 from the previous fill..

With the Magnatec 5W30 and I haven't noticed a drop in MPG. It has definitely help to quiet down the engine noise some.

I refilled with Magnatec 5W30 and I am currently planning on running it to 7-7.5k OCI.

Based on your comments I'd stick with the 5W30 as you did. No noticeable difference in mpg and a quieter engine, that would work for me. Why change? Try extending the OCI as you plan. Good report!

Thanks for sharing. With all the great reports for this oil lately, I'm thinking about saving a few $$ and using this instead of the PP I've been feeding my Frontier...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back