Elio motors....scam ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Polaris did 3 things right:

1. They didn't try to enclose everything.

2. They didn't try to market it as a car.

3. They didn't try to hoodwink the government into giving them a loan for an energy saving "car" that they want regulated as a motorcycle.

Wrong. If I want to ride/drive something that's not enclosed, I'll ride my motorcycle. It's more fun than those Spyders or Slingshots anyway. Elio isn't marketing their vehicle as a car, they're marketing it as an autocycle...if the gov doesn't have a classification for it, then that's their problem...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No way the Elio could pass government crash testing.

Cool concept that will never be approved.

It doesn't have to pass crash testing, it's not a car, and it's way safer than a motorcycle...

Originally Posted By: supton
My opinion? If sales take off, government regulation would clamp down. Pure and simple. Once enough people start dying in crashes someone will notice, and that'll be the end of that.

Small SUV's (and trucks) used to be required to meet a different set of standards; once sales took off, that loophole got fixed.

You mean like when people die on motorcycles?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: supton
My opinion? If sales take off, government regulation would clamp down. Pure and simple. Once enough people start dying in crashes someone will notice, and that'll be the end of that.

Small SUV's (and trucks) used to be required to meet a different set of standards; once sales took off, that loophole got fixed.

You mean like when people die on motorcycles?

Yep. My opinion, motorcycle sales are low, and a drop in the bucket. Once deaths and injuries catch up and demands will rise.

Perhaps I'm wrong on motorcycles, but this three wheeled concept is not being sold as a motorcycle--it may be classified as a motorcycle, but I bet if sales took off, enough uninformed consumers will complain about "misadvertising" to correct for that, and then the three wheeled vehicles will wind up having to meet auto standards.

Talking the concept with only market hype and not having any shipping models on the road is not good long term.

I do not remember the source but in print I read the founder/principles stated the selling cost per unit would be $7500 if shipping today.

Elio understands that even if there is a loophole that classifies it as a motorcycle today they are designing it with safety in mind (just look at the safety section of their site. They are clearly not designing it like a motorcycle) . As I previously mentioned there was already talk about reclassifying these as cars. If Elio is planning for the future they had better design these to comply with car safety rules in mind.

If you don't like it, then don't buy one...and if you can afford the Ferrari, you're in a different tax bracket than most of us are...

My point was that future transportation should be well engineered, high tech, capable, comfortable, efficient, safe and desirable. There are many groundbreaking ideas and new designs. Tesla is example number 1. Stunning performance, comfort, capability and seats up to 7. I'd be proud to own one.

Not some rehashed version of an always unsuccessful, tiny, unsafe and unwanted economy toy.

People purchase quality and capability in quantity. Just look at the Accord/Camry sales.

People shun uselessness.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
If you don't like it, then don't buy one...and if you can afford the Ferrari, you're in a different tax bracket than most of us are...

My point was that future transportation should be well engineered, high tech, capable, comfortable, efficient, safe and desirable. There are many groundbreaking ideas and new designs. Tesla is example number 1. Stunning performance, comfort, capability and seats up to 7. I'd be proud to own one.

Not some rehashed version of an always unsuccessful, tiny, unsafe and unwanted economy toy.

People purchase quality and capability in quantity. Just look at the Accord/Camry sales.

People shun uselessness.

I don't think anyone will be cross shopping an Accord and an Elio though... I'm sure 95% of them will be a second, third vehicle and a toy for some, or a simple fun high mpg commuter like a 3 season motorcycle.
It doesn't need to sell 100,000/year to be successful either. Morgan is quite happy making 500 of their 3 wheelers per year.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Cujet

People shun uselessness.

I don't think anyone will be cross shopping an Accord and an Elio though... I'm sure 95% of them will be a second, third vehicle and a toy for some, or a simple fun high mpg commuter like a 3 season motorcycle.
It doesn't need to sell 100,000/year to be successful either. Morgan is quite happy making 500 of their 3 wheelers per year.

Or like me, I'd just like having an Elio as an all-weather alternative to motorcycles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back