noob ? - how do I get my rebiult engine home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I took my engine to the machine shop I just tossed it in the truck. when I bring it home assembled, do I set it leaning sideways on the oil pan and side of block? do I transport it in an engine cradle stand?

I used to stand them up on the rear where the flywheel would be, no damage that way as long as the flex plate or flywheel is not attached yet.. Some shops may have it bolted to a pallet from that end for you.

I use a cradle that I built out of 2x4s. Sorry I don't have a picture, but basically a pair of long horizontal 2x4's support the engine under the edges of the oil pan rail, then vertical 2x4's with diagonal cross-bracing hold it up off the ground, and more horizontals form "feet" that keep it from tilting. Took me about 45 mins to knock it together with treated lumber and deck hardware (screws and metal gusset plates) from Home Depot.

Here's something similar to what I built, except using wider boards (2x8's I'm guessing) to get oil pan clearance:

EngineCradle.jpg

both suggestions are great! although the shop fills the engine with Joe Gibbs oil; so if I stand it on end I will either have them drain it (if they are running it there first) or have them give me the oil. a wood stand sounds cool. I can also buy a metal cradle for about $35. the shop also includes 2-3 hours of chassis dyno/tuning time once I have it broken in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Here's something similar to what I built, except using wider boards (2x8's I'm guessing) to get oil pan clearance:

EngineCradle.jpg

That is good, as far as it goes. I would make it long enough so that the wood extends past the pan, front and back, and connect the side boards with pieces across the front and back, so it doesn't "Rack".

We have engine cradles built out of steel. Square on bottom, with 2 uprights to bell housing bolt holes and 2 uprights to front motor mount holes.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

EngineCradle.jpg

That is good, as far as it goes. I would make it long enough so that the wood extends past the pan, front and back, and connect the side boards with pieces across the front and back, so it doesn't "Rack".

Yeppers, that is very true. Mine is built that way in addition to having triangular blocks where the verticals join the lower horizontals, wish I had a picture of it. I basically copied an old metal cradle that a friend had. The newer cradles are nice in that they support the engine up on the sides of the block instead of the pan rail, but the nice thing about wood is that it doesn't even scratch the paint on the pan rail anyway. And it can support any engine with a pan of approximately the right width, no dependence on factory bellhousing holes or motor mount location.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I place the engine on an old tire and strap it down.
+1 exactly what I was going to say.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Kool1
I place the engine on an old tire and strap it down.
+1 exactly what I was going to say.

Yep, me too. Keep it simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back