Harbor freight aluminum jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the HF low profile 3ton jack (not aluminum) and it's great... found the "super coupon" and got it for $80

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The rust on that jack almost looks like cat [censored].

Dunno about cats. Mice perhaps...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I went over and borrowed this jack one night this week to do a snow tire swap. My steel jack was ticked deep away and I was doing this after work with waning daylight.

The jack is kept in a garage, and not outdoors. I'm pretty well aware of what it gets used for since we talk projects.

Found this:

E96D58C1-5A97-4A22-A4FD-503CFFCB0792_zpsgwqlosgf.jpg

156F6899-CC81-483F-BFB7-20F0EE412F37_zpsem4huse9.jpg

0C457ACD-FDBF-4199-8679-F1072C15CF37_zpsbve4oaty.jpg

B6EFA540-301C-411E-971C-79357EAEE031_zpsemfydwub.jpg

When I tried to lift my accord from the rear tow hook center jack point, it couldn't do it. Made some gurgling sounds. Worked ok on one quarter each time. Don't think it's long for the world and don't want to break someone else's thing.

Anyone know of a US made equivalent of this, maybe a little longer? The low weight makes it oh so handy.

That jack is a direct copy of my USA made OTC jack, color and all. Although just shy of $300 the OTC I've been using for 2 years several times a week, even in the snow, has no rust, and has a lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The rust on that jack almost looks like cat [censored].

Dunno about cats. Mice perhaps...

Or even a dog? That is an odd amount of corrosion to say the least.

If your buddy's garage is anything like mine, the temperature swings in it can cause condensation and corrosion on metal parts. Looks like a combination of that and [censored] plating on the steel parts of that aluminum jack.

I wanted a second floor jack and just picked up the steel HFT 3 ton low profile, rapid pump jack today. It was on sale for $84.99. I had intended to buy the regular (non-low profile) 3-ton with a coupon for $79.99, but liked the looks and height range of this one better for $5 more.

Originally Posted By: JTK

I wanted a second floor jack and just picked up the steel HFT 3 ton low profile, rapid pump jack today. It was on sale for $84.99. I had intended to buy the regular (non-low profile) 3-ton with a coupon for $79.99, but liked the looks and height range of this one better for $5 more.

Mine has been perfect, but needed to be bled when I first got it.

Those aluminum jacks do look cool. But in my garage, steel is real. I got the HF 4ton and love it.

I like the alum. jacks for the weight. It can be an issue to throw the 80lb+ regular jack in the back of the car.

If I'm working on a tractor in the machine shop or some other lightweight use.

My Michelin jack has a bent frame and only 3 wheels touch the ground.. luckily my 70$ HF steel jack with rusted wheels and all still works perfectly.

Note the heaviest thing the michelin jack lifted was about half of a 4000lb car.

I bought the aluminum 1.5 ton HF to raise my RZR. Works great and no rust.
I have a 4-ton for vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back