Yaris towing a trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Sorry no pic but yesterday I saw a Yaris pulling the smallest teardrop trailer I've ever seen, and it still looked big behind the Yaris. Toyota doesn't "recommend" towing with one but what do they know? Traveling light to the extreme I guess....

Yaris is more powerful than my dad's old '85 Audi 80 with a 75hp 1.6 engine. He used to pull an open trailer full of electrical supplies (cables, switches, etc) - pretty heavy stuff. That car had a fairly tough life. Dad sold it at around 400K km, and it was still running fine at that time.

Braking while pulling that trailer was pretty scary.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
In the UK the current 1.3L Gas Auto 5-Door Yaris is rated at 880 kg or 1936 lb towing.

Gene wins most useful comment award.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Gene K
In the UK the current 1.3L Gas Auto 5-Door Yaris is rated at 880 kg or 1936 lb towing.

Gene wins most useful comment award.

+1,000

My buddy towed about 1000 lbs of boat and trailer with his Yaris, no problems at all. Legally you can tow between 2 and 3k unbraked with any car in most provinces and states.

I have seen a geo metro running around tow with a trailer, 1.0 3cyl. I pesonally used my Harley to pull the Chevy into the garage. It is only the US that is used to seeing a bbc/diesel pulling a trailer. Germany for example uses what ever the household has, and often it is their econobox.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Sorry no pic but yesterday I saw a Yaris pulling the smallest teardrop trailer I've ever seen, and it still looked big behind the Yaris. Toyota doesn't "recommend" towing with one but what do they know? Traveling light to the extreme I guess....

I can beat that. A neighbor owns a BMW shop and has a number of vintage BMW vehicles (a beautiful 50's 502 V8 among them). At one time he had a couple of Isettas, and one of the Isettas has a matching *tiny* teardrop trailer to go with it. I figure a Yaris could tow the Isetta *and* the Isetta's trailer as well as the Isetta can tow the trailer...

This isn't my neighbor's (his were painted to match) but its a similar configuration:

046a.jpg

My Honda fit says I can't TOW with it.

I have driven it with 4 chunky friend excluding myself,
My chunky behind weighs in at 220 lb, my friends weigh nearly 700 lbs,

so I should be able to tow in-lieu of carrying my chunky friends :)

same vehicle can tow in Europe and asia, hmmmmm....

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
This is what I am worried about.
Towing in high winds

One of the (many) hazards of towing with a front-drive vehicle... another strike against towing *anything* with a Yaris. More weight in the back of the tow vehicle and a properly loaded trailer (more weight forward) might have prevented that scenario. But high wind is a serious issue when towing anything.

Everyone has different comfort zones or safety factors. Everything is fine until you have to make a quick evasive move or stop fast, then you're just along for the ride to the scene of the crash. I stay well back of mfg ratings, other guys have no problem doubling them.

There is a guy with a 2000ish Honda Civic sedan that tows a small trailer around here. I believe it is a 5 speed though, so might not risk as much transmission damage.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
My Honda fit says I can't TOW with it.

I have driven it with 4 chunky friend excluding myself,
My chunky behind weighs in at 220 lb, my friends weigh nearly 700 lbs,

so I should be able to tow in-lieu of carrying my chunky friends :)

same vehicle can tow in Europe and asia, hmmmmm....

Current model Honda Jazz (Fit to you guys) is rated to tow a braked trailer up to 1000kg (manual) or 800kg (auto). Trailer without brakes can go up to 450kg. I'm thinking it's a fear of litigation in the US.

I've seen that around me. It was a 4x4 utility trailer loaded with a couch.

The issue with towing in the US is that a lot of folks see a tow rating and assume that's the amount of stuff that can go into the trailer. They must think the trailer's weightless. Doesn't quite work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back