13 GLI - Rotella T6 UOA - new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there

Finally got another UOA on my car. Thought I would share. Looks great.... All other OCI's on report are Rotella T6 as well.

Next OCI (currently) using Castrol ow40 and I ended up adding a little bit of MS02 additive. Not sure if that was a good or bad thing. A few ounces added, and made oil turn black. I'll post that UOA once im up for oil change.

13 GLI-032616_noname.jpg

Last edited:
That Rotella is providing great results in use. And I bet the Castrol does also. I do not think those two oils need any further additives as they are great just like they are produced.

I would use Castrol 0W40 since it is better oil then T6. It has lower NOACK, better suited for engine 2.0T engine, lower cst, very good HTHS. It is PAO compare to Group III T6.
You do not need any additives!!! Those engines are build to run fast, and in Florida unless you are on track, you will never go to full potential as in Germany. So, do not think just because you are driving on street very ahrd that you are reaching limits of that engine.

Awesome, thanks for input fellas! Indeed, a great peace of mind to hear such feedback

I'll be posting more UOA's. I'll post this upcoming OCI of the Castrol 0w40 (german stamp), I added MS02. and see how it looks

Then I'll do another Castrol 0w40 as is.

The Shell RT6 works well in VW engines, but it isn't 502 certified. Wouldn't you rather have an oil with the certification? Shell RT6 and Castrol 0w40 have a similar price at Walmart.

I would never use oil additives. Certified oils are made to have everything they are required to have and have nothing they shouldn't have.

I feel the VW 502 cert has to do with EPA certification and standards.

Car is well out of warranty, also with being modified. Been using the Rotella T6 since ~28k miles. Currently, 72k miles

car is becoming high mileage for a 2013 vehicile.. sadly. Considering scraping some cash together to get a beater car as a daily, lol.

I'm actually running the Castrol 0w40 (germany stamp). But I feel the car does not like it, runs completely different - feels like I lost my low end torque. But does run smooth as it did prior... Going to actually drain this soon and send for UOA.

Ran the 0w40 castrol prior for awhile as well, and experienced same butt-dyno feeling.

Originally Posted By: ntoxicator

Car is well out of warranty, also with being modified. Been using the Rotella T6 since ~28k miles. Currently, 72k miles

car is becoming high mileage for a 2013 vehicile.. sadly. Considering scraping some cash together to get a beater car as a daily, lol.

I'm actually running the Castrol 0w40 (germany stamp). But I feel the car does not like it, runs completely different - feels like I lost my low end torque. But does run smooth as it did prior... Going to actually drain this soon and send for UOA.

Ran the 0w40 castrol prior for awhile as well, and experienced same butt-dyno feeling.

Nah, EPA does not do anything for VW 502.00.
T6 in my opinion is inferior to Castrol 0W40. It has higher NOACK, no idea what is HTHS. Catsrol 0W40 is PAO base soil, 9.1% NOACK and HTHS of 3.7. It is made for performance engines and high speed roads in Europe.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: ntoxicator

Nah, EPA does not do anything for VW 502.00.
T6 in my opinion is inferior to Castrol 0W40. It has higher NOACK, no idea what is HTHS. Catsrol 0W40 is PAO base soil, 9.1% NOACK and HTHS of 3.7. It is made for performance engines and high speed roads in Europe.

T6 5w40 has a NOACK of 12.8%. HTHS is 3.7 to 4.0 cP.

Thanks for input fellas

I ended up just draining out the Castrol 0w40 I used (2k miles on it)... car didnt feel the same with it. Did not pull the same (no changes in gas/station).

Drained like water...
frown.gif
. Sending for UOA. Back to T6

Thinner oil actually gives you slightly more power. Not sure how it would feel slower.

Originally Posted By: ryanm8
Thinner oil actually gives you slightly more power. Not sure how it would feel slower.

To add to this, I have used T6 maybe 3 times in my lifetime and each time my engine felt sluggish and felt like I lost low end power. If anything the 0w40 especially being Castrol should feel more responsive to the throttle.

Originally Posted By: deven

To add to this, I have used T6 maybe 3 times in my lifetime and each time my engine felt sluggish and felt like I lost low end power. If anything the 0w40 especially being Castrol should feel more responsive to the throttle.
Oil "drag" should increase with crankshaft rotational speed, and thus be more evident at the "high" end.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: deven

Oil "drag" should increase with crankshaft rotational speed, and thus be more evident at the "high" end.

It's was definitely a drag from a stop.

I had adverse effect with using the Castrol. Yes, throttle was slightly more responsive.

however, With T6, I would build boost right at 3,500 - 3,800 RPM.

With the castrol, Boost onset increased, felt as if had alot of boost lag... 4k range. top end was smooth though, pulled.

However, i Actually ended up using Motul xcess 5w40 over Rotella T6 right now, after i drained this castrol

Car has never ran better... smooth, engine sounds great. Boost on-set is where it should be (Same as it was with T6)
With the castrol - motor made more noise and vibes... everything felt off, and didnt feel right. Maybe I'm crazy.
frown.gif

Will post UOA'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back