Winchester Ammo Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went back to my old agency, the Dallas Police, to qualify today. I retired with 32 years service and go back once a year to qualify. Our issue ammo, in 9mm or 357 Sig, has been Winchester for many years. We were told that Winchester quality has dropped dramatically. Issue ammo is now Hornaday Critical Defense. We were also told that the new ammo is so effective that there is practically no reason to upgrade to 357 Sig. The issues with Winchester were quality control, such as compressed rounds and rounds loaded backwards, and under charged rounds.

I've always been told it was dirty.
21.gif

Specifically 9mm and .22. It is generally more than Federal or Remington so I havent found the need to buy any yet.

I specially use Winchester shotgun shells though.

As someone that has studied, no , lived ballistics for the past 10 plus years, I am APPALLED that such a large agency chose such a craaptastic round. Whoever chose it should be immediately fired.

Also 9MM does not equal 357 Sig.

And yes, Winchester ammo does have a lot of quality control issues

Are you saying the Hornaday is [censored]?

Do you have an opinion on the Barnes TAC-XPD?

What is your choice?

Right, I was going to ask if the new issue ammo is critical defense or critical duty? I would think a police force would use critical duty.

The critical defense ammo in 9mm only penetrates 11.25 inches into gelatin with heavy clothing first, not enough to pass the 12 inch mark but expansion is reliable and recoil is modest

I use the critical defense in my shield which only has a 3.1 inch barrel. With a 4+ inch barrel the critical duty is a better choice

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
As a whole Winchester ammo is pretty good except for the "white Box" ammo.
Agreed; plenty of people complaining about WWB on the web in the past few years. Their performance ammunition has been rated some of the best in tests.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
As a whole Winchester ammo is pretty good except for the "white Box" ammo.
Agreed; plenty of people complaining about WWB on the web in the past few years. Their performance ammunition has been rated some of the best in tests.

I stocked up on WWB in 9mm, and wish I hadn't. Functions fine, accuracy is fine, but very dirty.

Seems like it takes me five times longer to get the fouling out of the barrel.

Have found Fiocchi, Prvi Partizan and Speer to be very clean. I don't buy any more WWB.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Ok, it appears our new round is the Critical Duty in 135 gr.

The critical duty passes all the ballistics tests these days and goes 15.25 inches into bare gelatin with a 0.555 expanded size. You can see all the tests on their website

Winchester's LE duty line ammo such as Ranger should be inspected more thoroughly than it's other lines. If a dept. as big as Dallas complained of QC issues in their duty ammo, I'm sure Win. would look into it. Now White Box practice ammo today isn't so great. There are better, cheaper options readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back