2005 Pontiac G6 3.5 L V6 GM Starting Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my G6 for quite a while and I have always liked the little thing. Lately, when I go to start it, it just cranks and tries to turto start, but it dies. I have to start it and Rev it up right away for it to start. I've read up on this problem and no one can figure it out and can't get it to stop. They have changed the fuel pump, intake manifold, intake valves, clean the fuel injectors, and ect. Does anyone else know what the problem is? I can't figure it out.

Throttle body (it's electronic with a gear mechanism/motor). There is a TSB for this very problem. Had to replace the one on my mom's Impala.

Originally Posted By: Trent_G_Six
Already changed the throttle body, that didn't help either... That's why I am so confused

What replacement part did you use, sometimes the auto store replacements are junk, you want oem or something very close

likely the gas filter is going away or its clogged ( either way need to be replaced) once done unhook battery for 5 minute . then hook everything back and try to start it

Last edited:
also if they changed all those part its likely along the way somebody set it wrong ( why would someone set it wrong' if the car had an issue and issue isnt fixed ( like an oxygen sensor on the exaust) the dude or dudette would change all the part you mentioned and readjust everything with the new part in place but the issue is still on the car so this would make it worst ! so first thing is to find the problem . dont change part till you drop . you might change the whole car and never find the trouble lol

get the tool to verify accuratelyanoxygen sensor ( after you have changed the gas filter if it wasnt already done) and make sure the oxygen sensor is within parameter. there isnt a lot that can go wrong on those car .oxygen sensor and gas filter are some. it might not idle once fix ( key word might) since a lot of stuff was changed its likely some of the setting are badly ajusted but if the car start easy without too much fuss then send it to gm and ask them to adjust the idle( if it was tweaked)

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
new car

(then you'll have to get a different username too)

I had a Chevy Malibu that had the same engine and issue. Ended up trading it back in after 6 months. Really mad because I loved that car. I ended up with my Equinox instead which I still have

Update: Well it hasn't done it for a while now. I talked to the previous owner and she said that she would start it with the air vent at 0 and it never happened. I don't know if it is just a coincidence or if it just throws some code and makes the car shut off or what... It's beyond me

Originally Posted By: Trent_G_Six
Update: Well it hasn't done it for a while now. I talked to the previous owner and she said that she would start it with the air vent at 0 and it never happened. I don't know if it is just a coincidence or if it just throws some code and makes the car shut off or what... It's beyond me

I guess the ECU doesn't get the message from the A/C control module that the system is on. When the ECU gets information that states the A/C is switched on, it usually opens the throttle or IAC valve more in order to start the engine.

I have worked on cars with the opposite problem. If you didn't switch the A/C on before starting, the IAC or throttle would not open up enough to start the engine.

I thought of other possible causes. Do you know if your mass air sensor still functions properly? Do you also know if the EGR system closes off completely when the engine is off? Check the emission control sticker to see if you even have EGR before attempting to diagnose the problems.

Does the 3.5 OHV use a PCV valve? If it does, replace it with an OEM valve. Sometimes a valve will hang open and the vacuum leak can affect starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back