Dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

Had the dealer do the first couple oil changes on Crosstrek. Thought they were always overfilling given it was about an inch above the top line of dipstick. Manual says it takes 5.1 qts. So, changed oil Friday, used a 5.0 qt jug, checked yesterday, about the same amount "overfilled" LOL. Is the dipstick off? Is their capacity off? Anyone else have this issue?

I'm not overly worried, just curious if anyone knows, aside from maybe not all oil getting drained or something, if this is a "known issue".

I'd take the issue up with the dealer and raise it to the regional rep if necessary. Something is "off" and an explanation / correction is needed.

A. If the 5 quart fill is correct: The dipstick is reading incorrectly, when the dipstick reads "low" the engine is actually running a quart or so below "low".

B. If the dipstick is correct: The 5 quart fill is seriously overfilling the engine. Every gas engine manufactured I have encountered has warned "not to overfill".

I believe an inch over the fill mark is too much. It's not unusual to see a little over the full line on the dipstick after an oil change, say an 1/8 inch or so and that's probably within tolerance.

Family member has a new Subaru with the FB20 engine. After every dealership oil change the dipstick is showing a serious amount of overfill. I've always thought they were overfilling it because of the oil burning some of these engine are getting know for. But maybe they have been filling it with the proper amount.
Thankfully this engine doesn't seem to be using any oil.

Have heard it both ways, dipstick is off. As well as manuals or the fill specs in the databases were off.

your best bet is to go to forum specific to your car and ask other with your exact same car what they observed

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Misreading usually happens if it is not parked on a leveled surface or the engine was not let to cool down long enough

Not cooling long enough would show low oil because it hasn't drained off parts. This shows overfill hours after changing. Interesting others have the same issue. I'll bring it up when I take it in for the 30k mile check.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
sounds like the wrong dipstick for that engine

That or something is screwed up with the dipstick tube. Over the years I owned two vehicles that didn't give a proper read on the dipstick. To fix it I changed the oil and filter allowing it do drain about an hour, put on a OE filter and drove the car. I let it sit overnight checked the oil in the morning and made my full mark. Both vehicles lived very long lives. If the car was new I'd bring it back and let them make it right.

My Mitsubishi has this problem. The manual specifies 5.4 quarts of oil. I changed the oil and added 5.1 quarts, the dipstick was still above max. Later I used a 5.0 quart bottle, the dispstick was still above max.

Later I decided to fill the engine with 4 quarts, then add what was needed. I found that my car actually uses 4.5 quarts.

Here is why is suspect that the manual is wrong. The Mitsubishi Evo X has an air to liquid oil cooler and a larger turbo than the Ralliart. However, the manual simply says "Turbo engines 5.4 quarts" I guess they didn't account for the lack of an air to liquid oil cooler in the Ralliart and that the turbo was smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back