Rockauto instrument cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any experience with these? The fluorescent display for the odometer/vehicle info has been going out on the Traverse. Dealer wants about $500 to replace it. The kicker is that the whole cluster has to be replaced, which means programming the new cluster with the odometer mileage and VIN. On the other hand, I found these, and for $160 with a $300 core, I'd gladly go for it since they claim to be able to program it.

I use Digital Dash Solutions, and they have an Ebay store too. My 92 Olds has a digital speedometer, and the rebuilt one I bought is working great. Just installed it last Thursday. Shipping was fast, and my core deposit was refunded the same day they received the core, which was shipped in the same packaging as the rebuilt one came in. I did have to pay return shipping which was $11. No core charge if you send the cluster in for repair.

http://www.fixmygauges.com/

http://stores.ebay.com/speedometersalesandservice/

Pretty sure, since I'm over 134,000, 89,000 would be just a little off. Since I would have to go through E-check at some point, I'm pretty sure if the E-check station computer pulls up a different VIN from what's on the registration, and a lower mileage from the last time it was E-checked, that might raise a few red flags.

A 92 Olds digital cluster mileage cannot be tampered with, so I reckon it just depends on what ever cluster it is. I put a piece of tape on the door jamb with the last mileage that was on my defective speedometer, and the date and mileage of the rebuilt speedometer. That's all I can do.

Just passed inspection on the same day I installed the cluster last week. I did tell the inspector that it has a rebuilt cluster installed, and the information was on the drivers door jamb. He never said a word about it.

I always thought the mileage was held in the ECU. The reprogramming was just pairing a replacement device with the ECU.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
I always thought the mileage was held in the ECU. The reprogramming was just pairing a replacement device with the ECU.

Depends on the vehicle. Most newer ones almost all hold it in the ECU/PCM but some do not always feed it to the cluster and the cluster counts mileage independent of the the ECM/PCM.

The one in my 2003 Saturn ION had to be programmed.

Look into local speedometer shops. Sometimes they can rebuild your current cluster and never mess with the programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back