Ball Joint Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the ball joints on my '98 Ford E-250. NAPA, Autozone, and O'Reilly each offer a low priced option, $13-16 each, and a higher priced option for a little more than double that amount. The low-priced ones can be had with grease fittings. Since I don't intend to keep this beat-up old van forever, can I get by with the cheaper ones?

If you get ones with grease zerks, pump some grease into them after installation. Even though they supposedly come pre lubed, you'd be surprised at how much more grease they'll take.

I put the cheap service grade raybestos ball joints in our E-150 a couple years ago. Everywhere we go in that thing its overloaded or towing something and they are still doing fine 10k+ miles later.

I've had bad experiences with Napa's cheaper line, including a ball joint that only lasted about 22k miles (non-greasable). I wouldn't use them, but if you're not keeping the van much longer...

Napa's more expensive line is very good. I have many of those parts on my vehicles, and would use them again.

as mentioned before. look for something greaseable that is cheap. if you are planning on getting rid of it you can keep up with the grease and it'll last plenty until you get rid of it

That greasable ball joint will likely outlive the truck if its greased accasionally.

Don't have much recent experiences with balljoints (they all used to be good quality replacements back in the day), but if they're anything like replacement u-joints the lubed for life ones (w/o the zerk fitting) are a lot better.

OK, got the right half done. Thank God for impact guns! Now that I see how it all fits together, hopefully the left side will go a little quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back