Brake Power Booster Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna do a master cylinder on the 01 Protege with 271,000 miles. I just discovered the master cylinder is leaking on the back side into the booster. I plan on keeping this one owner car for the next 10 million miles or 100 years whichever comes last. Cost is no object. I will probably tackle this job this weekend.

Show of hands:
Who here would do the vacuum booster while I do the master cylinder?
Who here would clean out the fluid from the booster and keep it? There is no problems with the booster currently.

Thanks in advance.

If you're keeping it for 100 years, sure, I would replace the booster too! Many times they come together anyway, & the brake fluid has probably already damaged it.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If you're keeping it for 100 years, sure, I would replace the booster too! Many times they come together anyway, & the brake fluid has probably already damaged it.

+1

Originally Posted By: JC1
I would only fix what is necessary in that car. Unless it's rust free and in showroom condition, it's not worth the extra cost.

Depends if you want amore confidence in being able to stop. I would do both the cost shouldn't be to much more And getting a complete unit should allow you to finish up the job quicker

The car is totally rust free after some rust work over last winter. It also has a new paint job. The car was torn apart to be painted and the best paint was used. The car inside and out pretty much looks new.

I'm leaning toward replacing the booster now.

If you're seeing fluid run out between the cylinder and the booster, that means it is the design with a "gap" that is supposed to keep fluid from a leaky MC out of the booster. The other design, without a gap and with the cylinder sealed to the booster, is the one where you need to replace booster after the cylinder leaks.

I do see fluid leakage between the booster and MC. Good one mk378. I haven't even thought of that.

I would only replace the booster if it's leaking. It's not a big deal to unbolt the master cylinder again, lay it aside with lines attached to remove the booster. It might be ok if you didn't run it like that for long.

I've never been one to replace parts that work as designed.

If they are not working correctly, fix or replace. Otherwise I leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back