10W-30 Motor Oil. What's Your Flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using Pennzoil Platinum in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee at the moment with unknown service history.

I started with Pennzoil High Mileage for the first OCI.

I'm figuring I'm going to give this thing a good cleaning.

I replaced the rear main seal and oil pan gasket so leakage is not really a problem anymore.

Originally Posted By: bigdaveyl
I'm using Pennzoil Platinum in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee at the moment with unknown service history.

I started with Pennzoil High Mileage for the first OCI.

I'm figuring I'm going to give this thing a good cleaning.

I replaced the rear main seal and oil pan gasket so leakage is not really a problem anymore.

I'm brand new to the Pennzoil zone but have quickly become a big big fan. I am torn between PYB 10-30 or the Pennzoil platinum and Ultra Platinum synthetics 10-30. Good news: I can take my time and start with the conventional and enjoy the FE AND HP gains. I want the best performance and until I try both for a full OCI, I will not be able to settle.

Last edited:
HP and FE gains???

33.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: wemay
HP and FE gains???

33.gif

jdm_%2B5hp3.jpg

No? LOL!!!
grin.gif

You know? You may be right.
cool.gif

"HP and FE gains???"

Yes...why is that so confusing to you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lex94
"HP and FE gains???"

Yes...why is that so confusing to you?

I think the more appropriate question is why are you so confused as to why other people find this strange? That only you and the OP seem to think it perfectly reasonable that one quart of PYB 10w-30 has magically bolstered MPG by an impossible amount and now it is being claimed to not only have achieved this magical feat but also to have improved power output as well.

When you are the only guy in the room not having an issue with a particular concept/claim, sometimes it is best to sit back and re-evaluate what that claim is and why others are having an issue with it.

I'll go back a few years here......
Originally we received sponsorship from a local Shaeffers guy for one of the cars/ a 408 Stroker 2004 GTO. He brought us cases (still have some) of Shaeffers Series 9000 and 7000 10-30. Terry Dyson did quite a bit with/for us....really knowledgeable guy.
We did comparisons with Amsoil/Royal Purple over a period of time and Shaeffers just flat performed. The 10-30 really excelled with our fuel diluted sump issues. So we stuck with it......

Here we are over 10 years later and same car/same motor we still run Shaeffers 10-30 but also run quite a bit of Kendall GT-1 10-30 with the same excellent results.

The 10-30 Shaeffers/Kendall GT-1 hold up to fuel dilution much (definable) better than 5-30 or 0-30. I am told it is the base stock differential between 10-30's versus 5-30's. All I know is the analysis surely confirm the performance of 10-30 over 5-30's.

Originally Posted By: TheOnlySarge
I'll go back a few years here......
Originally we received sponsorship from a local Shaeffers guy for one of the cars/ a 408 Stroker 2004 GTO. He brought us cases (still have some) of Shaeffers Series 9000 and 7000 10-30. Terry Dyson did quite a bit with/for us....really knowledgeable guy.
We did comparisons with Amsoil/Royal Purple over a period of time and Shaeffers just flat performed. The 10-30 really excelled with our fuel diluted sump issues. So we stuck with it......

Here we are over 10 years later and same car/same motor we still run Shaeffers 10-30 but also run quite a bit of Kendall GT-1 10-30 with the same excellent results.

The 10-30 Shaeffers/Kendall GT-1 hold up to fuel dilution much (definable) better than 5-30 or 0-30. I am told it is the base stock differential between 10-30's versus 5-30's. All I know is the analysis surely confirm the performance of 10-30 over 5-30's.

That's good to know. Probably a combination of the base stock used, and less VII?

I can/will say I firmly believe there is a "difference" in the base stocks used in 10-30's versus 5-30's. What specifically that difference is and how the difference relates to "better" analysis is open for debate. But it is undeniable there.

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
Originally Posted By: hatt
PP 10W-30.

Although after the next change I think I'm going to try out some M1 0W-40.

But 0w or 0w-xx weighted formulations are angled for winter and cold. Last I checked, Florida and South Texas gets no where remotely close to 0 degrees nor does it even get to the 20s and 30s so why the 0w-40? I would think 10-40.
I was looking at the M1 0w-40 because it's a flagship oil everyone raves about. And it's pretty thin for a 40. Pennzoil and M1 don't offer a 10W-40 in their regular syn lines anyway. If they did offer a light 10w-40 it may be of interest.

My next oil change is going to be Delo synblend 10w-30. #1030forlife

2003 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8 V6 (bought new) - 267,000 miles

Conventional Pennzoil 10W30 and either a Napa Gold 1040 or Wix 51040 (earlier on I occasionally used AC PF 47) every 3,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back