Emissions test and E85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the middle of Iowa, we don't have emissions tests. I run E85 almost exclusively in the summer as long as the price stays ~75% or less than that of premium (yes, my truck requires premium). The truck seems to have more pep on E85, and the tailpipe stays cleaner. I also never see the computer pulling timing when running E85. Yup, I only get about 75% of the mpg of premium, but that is why I make sure the price is in line.

Anyways...to my question. In states that require tail pipe sniffing, can you take the test running E85? I imagine it would help lower HC emissions? What is the effect on NOx? Just wondering out loud.

Good question! Being in Iowa myself, I just never gave it any thought. Never have heard of anyone using E85 during the emission test thing. I would think it should be ok to do so. Would be interested in seeing actual numbers from a motor that got tested using different fuels.

This might be skewed to promote an agenda, but it is a numbers difference report. Take it for what it is worth.

http://www.cleanairchoice.org/fuels/E85C02Report2004.PDF

If you run E10 then switch to E85 before the fuel trims catch up you can help HCs. But most E85 capable cars "know" they have E85 pretty quickly, with either a fuel sensor or a wide range O2.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I always heard that was a trick to get cars to pass a sniff test ... dump some e85 or alcohol of other sorts in the tank.

Yup. An extra gallon of ethanol, in 10 gallons of E10, will help some older cars get through CA hydrocarbon emissions. DAMHIK.

Here in New York there is no tailpipe sensor--they just plug your car into the OBDI, so I'm not sure how E85 would impact the readings the car is producing.

Not sure if it'd do anything good in states where only OBDII is checked. Might make you more apt to fail, if the alcohol level got too high and tripped a fault. I don't see how it would make a marginal cat work better, fix a misfire, or fix an evap issue.

There are good and bad things about OBDII, but one of the good things is you can tell if your car is going to pass the emissions test before you go for an inspection.

Last edited:
I ran E85 in my 2010 FX4 when towing (when it was available and I could get it for a reasonable price). Ford stated the HP was about 15-20 more on E85 than with E10 (even premium E10).

In Houston we do not have a tailpipe test, they use the OBDII jack and I have had E85 in it once or twice when renewing the inspection and it never impacted the test either way.

as long as they are not testing for toxins (things bad for human lungs) it should be fine or better. If they are testing for actual air quality, the E85 is going to test out worse. I doubt any testing authority is actually testing for the elements that cause lung diseases, though.

Well, to quote George Carlin, we have become so sensitive to what will harm us nowadays, that "scientists have determined that saliva causes stomach cancer. However, only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time." Those of us that lived thru the "real" pollution days of the 60's and 70's just shake our head at what folks get their panties in a wad over regarding pollution today. The air is virtually pollution free compared to the old days. I really lose no sleep over what E85 "might" be introducing in the way of cancer causing stuff. What China is putting the air has a dramatically bigger effect than anything ethanol may be contributing to health issues.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I ran E85 in my 2010 FX4 when towing (when it was available and I could get it for a reasonable price). Ford stated the HP was about 15-20 more on E85 than with E10 (even premium E10).

In Houston we do not have a tailpipe test, they use the OBDII jack and I have had E85 in it once or twice when renewing the inspection and it never impacted the test either way.

Wouldn't matter if you had E85 in, as it was certified to run E85 in the first place. The ECU can handle the differences, and keep emissions within bounds. It was designed to do this and comply with the regulations.

My flex fuel truck got tested by NC up through 2012, and whether or not it had E85 in it never came up during testing. To be honest, I never thought about it until now. NC's emissions testing became an OBD-II only plug in procedure about 10-12 years ago. It probably did get tested more than once on E85 as I used it frequently there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back