Oil extractor or pump...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pela is getting too hard to patch and keep it working properly. I need to retire it. Does anyone have any recommendations on quality oil extractors? I'd like to find something with quart measurement marks on the tank.

Thanks.

I love my Mity Vac 7201

Used it for a few years now. I maintain 4 cars and a boat with twin 454's. It performs flawlessly.

The word of caution, and I tell everyone this, do NOT over pressure/over pump the extractor. You will blow a seal. Some guys get too impatient and put 20-30 rapid pumps into one....and then wonder why it quit working.

Last edited:
I had Mityvac 7201 sine 2002-2003. It works well for over 10 years doing oil change in my 2000 MB E430. I then used it to do oil change, ATF, brake bleeding ... for other cars.

Yeah, don't over pressure any fluid extractor. I pumped 8-10 times to extract 8 quarts from E430, it took about 8-10 minutes and this is the time I used to change to cartridge oil filter.

Mityvac 7201 has markings of 2-liters on the container.

Last edited:
I have a MV7400. Does wonders ever I need to pull fluid out from transmissions with no drain plugs or PS resivors

http://www.liquivac.com/

I bought this last year, and like that it pumps horizontally. Great for tight spots like siphoning a differential. IIRC it was about $50 shipped. It's also made in the USA.

Last edited:
I have one of the Liquivac and it works great. Only issue I have is that not all cars can have oil extracted through dipstick. It depends if it was designed to be able to do this. My old 92 civic would not get any out. My current fleet it does not work. My motorcycle it only gets about half of it out. Lawnmower works great. Power steering, brake fluid extract from top or through bleeder works great. It also worked great in getting last drops out of toilet when getting a plugged deodorant stick the kids flushed down and stuck in middle.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
http://www.liquivac.com/

I bought this last year, and like that it pumps horizontally. Great for tight spots like siphoning a differential. IIRC it was about $50 shipped. It's also made in the USA.

I really like my LiquiVac for the price. I have the larger version. I think it was about $50 at Tractor Supply in 2014. It may have been a little more than that.

You do have to sometimes lubricate the leather pump seal, or mess with the valve between the tube and tank, but I have always been able to get it working after months of storage with a little ATF. It's convenient under the vehicle and under the hood because of the horizontal pump.

Thanks for all the links. None are quite what I was hoping to find so I guess I'll just pick the one that looks like it will last the longest. It will take a while to study up on all these.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I had Mityvac 7201 sine 2002-2003. It works well for over 10 years doing oil change in my 2000 MB E430. I then used it to do oil change, ATF, brake bleeding ... for other cars.

Yeah, don't over pressure any fluid extractor. I pumped 8-10 times to extract 8 quarts from E430, it took about 8-10 minutes and this is the time I used to change to cartridge oil filter.

8 to 10 pumps and that's it? No need to pump a couple of more times when the fluid removal begins to slow down? Or is it my typical impatience?

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

8 to 10 pumps and that's it? No need to pump a couple of more times when the fluid removal begins to slow down? Or is it my typical impatience?

With warm oil(about 110-120F or a little hotter) I just pumped 8-10 times, with cool oil I pumped few more. I spent that time to swap the cartridge filter. When I'd done the filter usually all oil was siphon into the Mityvac container.

Once every few years tighten the 6 screws on top of the container, to keep air tight.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I also vote for the MV 7201. It can bleed brakes also.

MV7201 is a much better tool to bled the brakes than Motive Power Bleeder and probably any other tool.

Easy, fast and no mess. After connect the hose to bleeder screw and pump 4-5 times all you need to do is watch the fluid level in the master cylinder.

Personally, I think MV7201 is the best tool for car I bought in the last 20-30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back