Delphi 48V Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally moving forward with higher voltage? But keeping much of the old 12V system, I see.

Make some sense what I gleemed, a 48V hybrid system, with some connection to the 12V system. And the ability to run certain high power items from the 48V system instead.

The architecture looks the same as my Honda Accord Hybrid.

Looks like the play here is electric accessories plus start-stop world with no real traction support (probably just a few kW for creep capability). What I don't really get is why not apply a DC-DC converter that can current limit input back to the DC-DC converter, and do away with the 12V battery all together. Just build a 12VDC accessory bus for what minor loads need it, via dc-dc converter.

I like the electric supercharger part. Ive been looking at these for a few years for other more exotic applications.

I've been wondering when someone was going to finally put a higher voltage battery / higher voltage system in the car to use for things like electric power steering, headlights, rear defogger, HVAC fan, A/C compressor, stereo, etc.

There were papers from the SAE and IEEE in the late '70's and early '80's talking about going to 48V systems.

The reasoning at the time for going to 48V systems was to reduce battery weight, alternator size and weight, starter size and weight, and to reduce wiring sizes, all with the goal to reducing weight and cost.

JMO, I thought it made sense at the time.

I remember when they were talking about going with higher voltage systems for weight savings too. I think that was mothballed once all the electrical systems were multiplexed and controlled through the CAN bus. Once they did that, they didn't need to run thick wires to each system, all capable of carrying the full current when only one or two is powered at a time. With the multiplexed systems, they only needed a data line, one large power line, and some kind of switching control.

Still makes sense for high current parts like the starter where we're talking about tens and hundreds of amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back