XC70 Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most of you have read in my other post, we recently purchased a 2007 Volvo XC70 for our daughter. This past weekend it was slow to start on a cold morning for her...it took two or three attempts to start the engine. I went out and gave it a try and it was slow for me and a message popped up "REDUCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE" but no CEL. Message went away as soon as I pulled out of the driveway.

Took it to Advance Auto and had the battery and alternator checked. Battery was down to 300 cranking amps...alternator was fine, charging at no load and with all accessories on. Car calls for 600 amp battery. So, I bought a new battery (715 amp) and it's worked flawlessly for 3 days.

This morning, nice and cold, back to same thing. Slow to start and REP message but no CEL. Light went away as soon as she pulled out. So, short of driving 50 miles to the nearest Volvo dealer to read any codes wondering what to do? If it's not throwing a CEL the local parts stores won't be able to read anything.

Last edited:
What does your owners manual say REP gets you? Maybe you have a coolant temp sensor that erratically reads -40 degrees and this explains the hard starting (flooding), the driver warning, and since it's a plausible temp, no code.

Could be many things. Bad fuel, condensation in intercooler, loose boost hose, failing throttle module or accelerator pedal.

Even with no cel, the Volvo diag software will be able to read the stored fault.

Last edited:
Instead of driving 50 miles to the dealer, find an independent shop with Euro software on their scan tool- they should be able to scan it and give you a direction for a small fee.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Instead of driving 50 miles to the dealer, find an independent shop with Euro software on their scan tool- they should be able to scan it and give you a direction for a small fee.

That was my thought. I'm in a small town so not sure if there is one in my area. I'll check around.....thanks

Is this hard to cold start issue a recent development? How many times has it occurred since you bought the car? Did the starter easily spin the motor over or did it struggle?

Now after 3 days it's back. Interesting....

The engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor finally failed after 18 yrs in my wagon. It took nearly 10 min. for it to start while the temp was only 50°F. That's a possibility. If you unplug it and the car starts right up, you've found the problem.

I'd seek out a local Euro shop that knows Volvos or else buy a code scanner yourself. I don't have one to recommend as I use my indy's.

You can also look over on the VolvoXC site, Mathew's Volvosite, Swedespeed, etc.

We've owned the car about a month and it happened for the first time on Sunday morning. I bought the new battery Sunday afternoon and now it happened again this morning. This coincides with the REP message, but no CEL.

The starter does spin freely with it happens.

I found a local Indy shop that will look at it Friday. He said if an oil that is too thick is used it can starve the oil pressure sensor and cause the REP message to come on momentarily when it's cold. That doesn't explain the slow starting with a new battery though. I told him what oil was in it and he said that shouldn't cause the problem.....5w30 magnetec

When the Reduced Engine Performance message comes on it does not go into limp mode. It drives normal....although the message is on for just like 30 seconds.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
If it's not throwing a CEL the local parts stores won't be able to read anything.

Do you have a scan tool?
Have you looked for any pending/stored codes?

No, I don't have a scan tool but I'm going to try to get it scanned tomorrow at a local Indy shop. By the way, started quickly this morning and no message. Temp was 39F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back