Take your wheels off to clean the backside ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about taking the wheels off to remove the brake dust buildup on the backside of the rims as well as clean the backside of the tires. You guys ever do that ?

Only when I change pads and rotors
with my XJ8 and the wife’s Jeep GC I have gone for stop tech cryoed rotors and akebono pads wheels never need cleaning again just warm water and soap from the day I started using these pads love them

The brake dust, tire rotation marks (I write on the inside of the rim not on the tire), scum, rust was getting thick on mine.

WD-40 and a rag cuts right through it, and you don't have to worry about exacerbating any rust around the hub / lug hole area.

On wheels that come off for snow tire swap I try to if I have time. Otherwise I use wheel woolies to get between the spokes on the barrel where I can and leave it at that.

It's s great idea if you're taking wheels off to clean them thoroughly. But I wouldn't make a specific effort unless it's a show car.

Brake dust? I have to hose out the backside of the rims a couple times a winter to get all the mud and sand out because it throws the balance off...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
No. I have far better things to do with my time.

Amen!

It depends on how much brake dust the car creates. My RX7 causes a good thick buildup of brake dust on the back side of the wheels. I clean those rims off on the backside once a month during heavily driven months and about once every 2 months otherwise. On my other cars, brake dust buildup isn't that bad so just when I have them off for other reasons or if I am doing some detailing such as before a meet or show.

My detail guy uses simple green and a dish brush to do the inside. No need to remove the wheels. spray, let soak, agitate, rinse.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I only do that when I polish the muffler, or wax my axles.,,,

It's easy to get under there when you are greasing your muffler bearings or torquing the hemulator gasket clamps.

Originally Posted By: Falken
The brake dust, tire rotation marks (I write on the inside of the rim not on the tire), scum, rust was getting thick on mine.

WD-40 and a rag cuts right through it, and you don't have to worry about exacerbating any rust around the hub / lug hole area.

You need to be careful with WD40 on wheels that use stick one weights or they wont be stuck on much longer.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
No. I have far better things to do with my time.

Amen!

But if the wheels are already off?

If something is removed dirty, it gets installed clean...

I uses anti seize if the studs are dry and puts it where the rim contacts the hub.This is only done when changing over winter and summer tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back