New Compost Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had one of those high end tumbleweed compost makers for years, and seriously, it's the worst thing I've ever used for making compost...it just plain doesn't work here.

So Good Friday I came up with this one

IMG_20160327_112201.jpg

Put the dry stuff from the tumbleweed as a "mat" for the bottom, threw in some actual compost from a stationary bin that's half OK, some uncomposted scraps, and yesterday 1,200 worms.

Will see how this one functions.

i made something similar to that before and made the mistake of putting wood on the bottom.

it should really sit on the ground for worms and such to get in

I use a tip, a bank that I am slowly extending into the woods. It gets household garbage, mostly coffee grounds and an occasional bag of grass clippings to cook stuff. I should mine it for the raised beds. The front bed has worms in it that are bigger than the baby garter snakes that live on the grounds.
grin2.gif

I would be worried about bears where I live. They ripped off (and left a bear claw mark on it) a bird feeder last year. I will stop feeding birds as soon as my bucket of bird seed is gone. In a few days.

I built a 3 compartment model out of wood a few decades ago. There might even be a photo of it here somewhere.

Oak leaves + tassles + lots of pollen have been falling lately, so I've been busy shredding them with the mower, then layering them up, watering each layer & adding fertilizer. I have two large bins now nearly full. The new one is currently at 140°F continuous since I built it last week. Amazing the amount of heat it gives off! That's good though as oak leaves are tough to break down & the high heat cooks weed seeds as well.

Having a decent rain currently, so the pile is getting a good soaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back