Oil Recommendation - Honda Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchase a high mileage Honda Fit (110,000+}. I noticed the owner has been using 5w-30 for the last several oil changes. Was wondering if I should go ahead and switch to a 0w-20 now? Or maybe a 5w-20? I have used Mobil 1 in our Acura and it would be nice to not have to have too many oils in my stash. Any recommendations are appreciated.

The Honda Fit is called the Honda Jazz in Australia, and it comes with a 1.3 or 1.5 L, I-4 engine, FWD, flexible seat configuration, and 2007 Japan Car of the Year.

Which engine & year do you have ?

Doesn't make much difference, everybody runs 5W-30 in them here.

I would use a 5W-30 Dexos oil myself.

Originally Posted By: SR5
The Honda Fit is called the Honda Jazz in Australia, and it comes with a 1.3 or 1.5 L, I-4 engine, FWD, flexible seat configuration, and 2007 Japan Car of the Year.

The 1.5L engine. What about a 0W-30 to help with start-up wear?

Maxlife 0w20 or 5w20
smile.gif

Sorry, forgot to add, 2009.

5w-30 or 5w-20 or 0w-20. I use those pretty much interchangeably in our 09 Fit with 100k miles. I can't tell a difference in performance or even sound of the engine between them. It'll run for years on any of those as long as it gets regular changes. The L15A is very easy on oil.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
5w-30 or 5w-20 or 0w-20. I use those pretty much interchangeably in our 09 Fit with 100k miles. I can't tell a difference in performance or even sound of the engine between them. It'll run for years on any of those as long as it gets regular changes. The L15A is very easy on oil.

Can you tell a difference in the gas mileage with the 0W-20?

we run walmart supertech synthetic 5/20 in my wifes car. it's over 100K now. not an issue one.

I'd run any name-brand 5W-20 that's on sale and change it per the maintenance minder.

Only one engine choice here - 1.5L

Previous owner could have moved up to 5W-30 because of leaking or consumption, so be cognizant of that.

I wouldn't see any reason not to continue using whatever 5w-30 the previous owner had been using. If start up wear really concerns you add some Slick 50 or something
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Chewie
Previous owner could have moved up to 5W-30 because of leaking or consumption, so be cognizant of that.

I thought of that, but he was just taking it to a Goodyear service place. I think they probably offer 5W-30 as standard, so he just used that. The manual calls for 5W-20 and that is what is one the cap.

I think you would be perfectly fine to run the same oil as your Acura if that was most convenient for you.

I've have ran both 20 weight & 30 weight oils in a few Hondas and could never tell the difference.

Do you still have the owner's manual? Anyway, I would see if it calls for 0w20 or any kind of 5w20. Most 0w20 is synthetic.

Mom's 2011 CRV takes 0w20. I use Castrol black Edge 0w20 and change it when the OLM says 15% oil life remaining.

Originally Posted By: CT8
5w- 20 is great for Arctic conditions.

I doubt it, I would think you would want a pan heater in the Arctic despite using 0W-20.

It is however just fine for the OP's location.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back