Yamaha offering 20 year Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
That link doesn't say anything about what is covered and what is not covered. If it's like any other extended warranty, it will cover parts that are known to never fail, and not simple things like gaskets or replacement lubricants or coolants. That have to be drained and discarded, in order to make the needed repair.I bet the cost of using Yamaha oil for 100,000 miles, would more then cover the cost of a covered repair you might need.They wouldn't offer this kind of warranty if they thought it would cost them money.,,,

OK,I get it. Let's say that after the very short factory warranty you drop a valve,throw a rod or have trans problems 5 years down the road with,say, only 10K on the bike. MAJOR MECHANICAL failure should be covered if the person had adhered to the service schedule. Normal wear items certainly are not covered. The warranty also states that it is transferable. Should add some desirability at resale time. If you don't like it,don't apply for it and perhaps a new Yamaha is not for you. Haters gonna hate

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Other than a BMW, how many motorcycles have you seen with half that mileage?
My '05 Road king has a little over 61k miles on it. All original and hang onto your hat, on non Harley branded mineral oil.,,,

Lots.

Goldwings, Harleys will get up there, a guy on the Triumph forum has 130k on his 856cc air cooled twin.

Many bikes don't get up there because of the riders more than the machines. They trade them off long before they hit six figures.

Yamalube VOA's are less than stellar, so they must surely be confident in the machines or figure any repair costs will be exceeded by profits from selling okay oils as premium prices.

While UOA's are helpful tools in determining wear patterns over extended intervals and alerts you to base additives in the oil; the vast majority of VOA/UOA's don't offer insight into the complete additive formulations that are available and being utilized.

The Yamalube brand of oil isn't that pricey. Their petroleum based 10W40 runs about $6 per quart, with most gallon containers running about $5 per qt (along with actually being a JASO MA certified oil) and meeting their requirements for their new limited engine warranty.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
My '05 Road king has a little over 61k miles on it. All original and hang onto your hat, on non Harley branded mineral oil.,,,

What? I thought you had to use oil manufactured by Harley to get that kind of longevity.
confused2.gif
smirk.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Analyzer
While UOA's are helpful tools in determining wear patterns over extended intervals and alerts you to base additives in the oil; the vast majority of VOA/UOA's don't offer insight into the complete additive formulations that are available and being utilized.

The Yamalube brand of oil isn't that pricey. Their petroleum based 10W40 runs about $6 per quart, with most gallon containers running about $5 per qt (along with actually being a JASO MA certified oil) and meeting their requirements for their new limited engine warranty.

Of course dealers, atleast in my area, have a bit larger of a price tag on their stock. I see it for about 7 bucks a quart plus shipping. Of course I can get crude based Valvoline 4T motorcycle oil for 4.38 off my local wal mart shelf all day long. As I have said...it is an okay oil, but generally not the most impressive for the price.

What this warranty is really showing is manufacturing confidence in their quality of bikes more than the quality of their lubricants.

80K on my wife's Pacific Coast. I saw a 650 Burgman with 179,000 miles. There are plenty of Goldwings over 100K.

My 1976 XS750 had over 100K when I totaled it. At that time I was running Valvoline 20/50 racing oil. Yamaha has some good engineering.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: hal26
OK,I get it. Let's say that after the very short factory warranty you drop a valve,throw a rod or have trans problems 5 years down the road with,say, only 10K on the bike. MAJOR MECHANICAL failure should be covered if the person had adhered to the service schedule. Normal wear items certainly are not covered. The warranty also states that it is transferable. Should add some desirability at resale time. If you don't like it,don't apply for it and perhaps a new Yamaha is not for you. Haters gonna hate

AHHH, this is where people go wrong.
THIS IS NOT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY. this warranty ONLY COVERS oil wet parts of the ENGINE.
This does NOT COVER the transmission, primary or any other parts. just the ENGINE.

I will admit, I think it is a novel idea, use Yamahas oil and filters exclusively and if an OIL LUBRICATED part of the ENGINE breaks down they will repair it. Of course as long as racing or modification didnt cause it. Honestly I dont think there are too many oil related failures but whatever.
If I was to extend a warranty on my Road King, for less then $1000.00 I can add 4 years to my 2 year warranty and everything is covered just like a factory warranty with no deductible giving me a total of 6 years, not having to buy their oil saves me money too.

I think Yamaha has a great selling tool, fantastic selling tool because most people will not bother with it, yet on the sales floor everyone buying a Yamaha will think they are getting a full warranty for 100k or 20 years which is 100% incorrect and doesnt even cover the transmission and primary. You can bet, like the posters in here do, they will think the transmission is covered when it isnt.

Last edited:
Here you go ... (warranty)

Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. through its operating brand “Yamalube”, subject to the limitations as stated herein, hereby warrants to Covered Customers only that the engine in their Qualified Product will be free from any Qualified Breakdown due to lubrication breakdown for the period of time stated herein, and in the event of such a Qualified Breakdown, Yamalube’s sole responsibility will be to pay reasonable expenses, not to exceed Fair Market Value, for the Covered Parts and Covered Labor involved in the repair of the engine for the Qualified Product to operational status. Yamalube’s obligation to repair or replace any listed Covered Parts as may be required is the sole and exclusive remedy available to Covered Customer under this Limited Warranty. Yamalube is only responsible for the repairs it approves. The terms of this Limited Warranty may be revised by Yamalube, from time to time, in its sole discretion, and shall be posted to www.yamalubeadvantage.com.

A QUALIFIED PRODUCT is a Yamaha Street Motorcycle that is privately owned for personal, non-commercial use and at the time of Valid Registration for this Warranty has between 500 and 700 miles.

A COVERED CUSTOMER is the registered owner of the Qualified Product, age 18 or older on the date of registration, and residing in the contiguous United States. This Limited Warranty is transferable as long as all previous service records/receipts are retained and are presented, at Yamalube’s request.

THE PERIOD OF WARRANTY shall be from the date of registration through the earlier to occur of the applicable time limit or mileage limitation on the Qualified Product. Yamalube reserves the right to terminate this Limited Warranty program at Yamalube’s discretion following general notice of termination posted to the www.yamalubeadvantage.com website. Yamalube may close registration for the Limited Warranty at any time without notice. If Yamalube closes registration, no new Qualified Product registrations will be allowed. However, those Covered Customers then participating in this Limited Warranty program will continue to be covered under the terms hereof, so long as they comply with all terms and conditions of the Limited Warranty.

COVERAGE offered by Yamalube include:

The earlier to occur of 100,000 miles on the Qualified Product or 20 years from Valid Registration: Oil change service will consist of exclusively using the appropriate Yamalube Engine Oils and a Yamaha Genuine Oil Filter for the registered unit.

*Special Notes of Coverage: (a) Yamalube may add or subtract motor oils as SKU’s are discontinued, added or deemed reasonable by Yamalube in its discretion.

Term of Coverage: Unless terminated earlier as noted herein, all Coverage ends when odometer on Qualified Product has reached the maximum miles of 100,000 or 20 years from Valid Registration of Qualified Product, whichever occurs first.

VALID REGISTRATION for this Warranty must be completed at/before the first scheduled maintenance of a Qualified Product between 500 and 700 miles through submission of a registration form via www.yamalubeadvantage.com. During registration the Covered Customer must fill in all required, answer qualifying questions, report any/all oil changes performed prior to registration and submit the number of miles with respect to the Qualified Product.

DURING THE PERIOD OF WARRANTY, the Covered Customer must change the engine oil and oil filter to be considered a qualifying oil change of the Qualified Product and exclusively with Yamalube Engine Oil & Yamaha Genuine Oil Filter (“Qualifying Oil Change”). A Qualifying Oil Change must follow the recommended time intervals as outlined in the Qualified Product Owners’ Manual, either by months of ownership or within 100 miles of the recommended mileage stated in the owners’ manual whichever occurs first, applicable to the Qualified Product, including use of enough oil to fill the crankcase of the Qualified Product to its prescribed level. For the avoidance of doubt, the oil filter must be replaced at every Qualifying Oil Change, whether or not the applicable product manual recommends that the oil filter be replaced at each oil change or some other greater regular interval. Following each such completed maintenance obligation, Covered Customers must go to www.yamalubeadvantage.com and record oil changes within 30 days after the oil change has occurred through the submission of certain required information including without limitation the following: date of oil change, mileage at time of oil change, oil and oil filter part numbers used. Covered Customers are required to keep/retain all engine oil and filter receipts as proof of purchase and will be required to submit proof of purchase if a claim is submitted. This Limited Warranty may be deemed void by Yamalube in its sole discretion if the Covered Customer records the type of oil used, mileage or hours interval incorrectly or if the Qualified Product’s true mileage or hours cannot be determined (for example due to a malfunctioning component).

QUALIFIED BREAKDOWN means: (1) the immediate and apparent total mechanical failure of a Covered Part to work as it was designed to work in normal services; and (2) the Qualified Product electrical, fuel, computer engine management, cooling, induction and exhaust systems are all working as designed and are not the cause of engine failure. A Qualified Breakdown does not include the reduction in operating performance due to lack of maintenance and/or wear and tear, including a reduction in engine compression due to worn rings or valves, or abnormal sounds such as “knocking,” “pinging” or “rattling” sounds when a breakdown has not occurred.

COVERED PARTS means “Oil Wetted” engine parts including: pistons, piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft, main bearings, connecting rods, rod bearings, camshaft, camshaft bearings, timing chain and gears, intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, guides, oil pump, push rods, rocker arms, lifters and rocker arm shafts. The engine block and cylinder heads are also Covered Parts if mechanical failure was caused by a failure of the above listed Covered Parts. Covered Parts does not include the following: (1) all fuel system parts; (2) all ignition, starting and electrical system parts; (3) turbocharger and supercharger systems; and (4) all exhaust pipes, muffler, catalyst and related system parts; and (5) all transmission, drive train and clutch related system parts. This Limited Warranty covers no other parts. Replacement will be made with a part that is of a like kind and quality (i.e. new, remanufactured or used part) compatible with the original design specifications and wear tolerances of the Qualified Product.

COVERED LABOR means flat rate labor costs, at a qualified Yamaha dealer only, according to such dealer’s approved labor rate for repair or replacement of the Covered Parts. This Limited Warranty covers no other labor.

FAIR MARKET VALUE means an amount equal to the private sale value of the Qualified Product on the date of a Qualified Breakdown as set forth by NADA or some other similar listing of product values if a NADA value was not available.

EXCLUSIONS from this warranty shall include:

Improper use in an application other than that for which the manufacturer intended.
Rental, commercial, corporate and business operation and use.
Competition or racing use.
Abnormal strain, neglect, or abuse.
Lack of proper maintenance or storage of the Covered Product.
Accident or collision damage, or growth of marine organisms on surfaces.
Modification to original parts.
Cost of labor for replacement of a defective part or accessory.
Replacement of parts for routine maintenance or normal wear and tear.
Products, parts or accessories covered by other warranty provisions outside the scope of this warranty, whether such warranty is from Yamaha or another manufacturer.
Products, parts or accessories that related to any pending legal proceeding, recall or other service campaign.
Parts or accessories intended for use on products other than Qualified Products.
Issues arising under any circumstances outside of the limited scope provided herein.
Claims that Yamaha believes in good faith to be the result of: collision or other accident, theft, vandalism, riot, explosion, earthquake, lightening, freezing, overheating, internal or external fire, water or flood damage (including prior flood damage), negligent, reckless, knowing or intentional damage, timing chain failure, improper service or maintenance, manufacturer defect, improper installation of any part, fluid contamination (i.e. coolant, fuel, water or foreign material) or the failure to keep the motor oil and engine coolant at levels prescribed for the Qualified Product.
Claims filed after the maximum mileage or time limit, applicable to the applicable Level of Coverage has been reached.
Customers located outside of the contiguous United States.
THE CUSTOMER’S RESPONSIBILITY under this warranty shall include without limitation:

Comply with all requirements as stated herein.
Use and maintain the Qualified Product and Covered Parts as specified in the appropriate Owner’s Manual, or as specified with any instructions that came with the accessory, including without limitation: (a) regular replacement and/or cleaning of air filters; (b) maintain emission control systems in compliance with all applicable laws; (c) repair oil leaks and other routine maintenance and repair of normal wear and tear of the Qualified Product.
Contact Yamaha Customer Support or an authorized Yamaha dealer within ten (10) days after discovery of what Covered Customer reasonably believes to be a Qualified Breakdown, and present the Qualified Product to the authorized Yamaha dealer along with all applicable documentation required herein, including without limitation: (a) copies of all service and purchase receipts as proof (receipts must be printed, not hand written, and specify clearly and unambiguously the Dealer name and address, Date of Service/purchase, Yamalube oil (viscosity grade, type and part number) and Yamaha Genuine Oil Filter part number; and (b) purchase receipts for all engine related maintenance.
Pay labor charges (if any): (a) for labor other than Covered Labor; (b) if the dealer determines there is no Qualified Breakdown; or (c) this Limited Warranty does not otherwise apply.
By accepting any payment of coverage provided under this Limited Warranty, Covered Customer thereby provides Yamaha with rights of subrogation with respect to the amount paid out by Yamaha, and Covered Customer assigns to Yamaha its right to recover from any third party based on claim Covered Customer might have against such party, up to the amount of, or fair value thereof, the coverage provided by Yamaha to Covered Customer.
To make Qualified Product readily available for inspection by a Yamaha Authorized Dealer and/or Yamaha Representative. Covered Customer is responsible for any and all transportation cost for said inspection.

Last edited:
If you go to the Road Star (Yamaha) forum you will see a lot of riders that have well over a 100k miles . I read a reply the other day about a rider with 230k miles. The bikes have been around for quite a few years now and riders with earlier models have racked up some impressive mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back